False Prototypes

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
TonyFunkoFreakHead

Re: False Prototypes

Postby TonyFunkoFreakHead » Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:49 am

treswright wrote:
DeputyDan wrote:With the world of technology getting more and more crazy, now i begin to wonder if people can 3D print false prototypes?

Anyone else had these thoughts?

I just love my POPS! and now that I've started collecting these prototypes, I want to make sure I'm buying the real deal.

Well like Scott said 3D printing uses a plastic material that does not look or feel like vinyl, so that's not an issue for now, until the technology changes. But there are plenty of other concerns...

First let's describe what a "real" proto is so we can discuss the difference. A real proto is one that was made in a limited run by the manufacturer and given to Funko so they can review it before it goes into final production. Most people like to collect protos because they're a part of the design process- they were held and examined and touched and commented on by Funko designers, sculptors and executives. That is where the value comes from, and provenance is everything.

Now, let's talk about the many items being floated out there as protos that are not legitimate:

Scrappers- Pops that may have had a flaw or flaws and were pulled from the assembly line before the painting process, but instead of being thrown away were snuck out of the factory. Just about any "prototype" that is being sold on eBay out of China is in fact a scrapper. These are actual Funko products, but they are not prototypes, so they look like the real thing. The problem with the proliferation of these is that once they start circulating, they will come back up being sold by US sellers, so it can be hard to tell. That's why Huse and others stress knowing who you are buying from.

Strippers- unscrupulous sellers take a standard Pop and strip the paint off of it and sell it as a proto. Typically it will smell of the stripping agent and have paint residue in the crevices.

Mindstyle- This is the latest issue that makes collecting protos a headache. Mindstyle is a Chinese manufacturer and distributor, and they've started selling/ giving away "prototypes". Usually the color, sheen and texture is off on the Mindstyle prototypes, but some of them are close enough to be hard to distinguish. The issue here is again, these were never in the US and never in Funko's hands and in that respect are not legitimate prototypes.

If you want to start collecting protos, join one of the FB proto groups and read, read, read. There are a lot of discussions about what to look for and what to avoid. Make friends with established proto collectors, they are a wealth of information. And get ready to rumble, because there are a lot more people chasing the more popular lines than there are protos to go around lol

Strong write up friend

araviele

Postby araviele » Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:09 am

Kal-El-051 wrote:I have never even seen a proto in that color Shinfo. Without seeing them in person I couldn't say whether they are fake. I can say the color of them would have me asking questions before buying.

The Funkos 101 group on Facebook might have more info on these. I think I've seen a grey one in there at some time ago. Might have been an artist proof of the prototype.. not sure though
ImageImage

Ginzo1622

Postby Ginzo1622 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:39 am

araviele wrote:
Kal-El-051 wrote:I have never even seen a proto in that color Shinfo. Without seeing them in person I couldn't say whether they are fake. I can say the color of them would have me asking questions before buying.

The Funkos 101 group on Facebook might have more info on these. I think I've seen a grey one in there at some time ago. Might have been an artist proof of the prototype.. not sure though

That's why you shouldn't buy stuff if you don't trust who is selling it and if no one can vouch for it
Fundays 2022 - Proto Robots
Fright Night 2022
Fundays 2023 - Protomoa Wolves

Don't stand in my way!!!

:whdat:

zonkttc

Postby zonkttc » Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:50 am

SnackDaddy wrote:Rule of thumb

Follow the paper trail, ask for proof. Anyone with a real proto would be more than happy to show you proof. If you have questions about a certain seller, don't be afraid to ask someone who has been around for their opinion.

Well said. Using this method encountering fake pops will be as low as 2 percent.

zonkttc

Postby zonkttc » Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:57 am

Also stores implement many procedures to ensure items are authenticated and real. Really interesting to read u find out ways to authentic.

sealordbrian

Postby sealordbrian » Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:01 pm

That's why I'm in the various proto social media groups and pay attention to history. Plus folks are real good about sharing info on those who have sold fakes or try to get involved with that side of things.

zonkttc

Postby zonkttc » Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:12 pm

Very true. There plenty of groups and people in the community that track things like this. If unsure I tend to go ask before I do anything

Fnava87

Postby Fnava87 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:07 am

DeputyDan wrote:With the world of technology getting more and more crazy, now i begin to wonder if people can 3D print false prototypes?

Anyone else had these thoughts?

I just love my POPS! and now that I've started collecting these prototypes, I want to make sure I'm buying the real deal.

Yes just make sure there is supportive lineage before you pull the trigger on one.

sxrgio115

Postby sxrgio115 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:21 pm

Sure, it doesn’t do any harm to make a fake prototype at home, but it does create a little more trouble for the real proto collectors. I’ve dealt with many fakes, but luckily I’ve taken the right precautions before even thinking of pulling the trigger. At the end of the day, lineage is key!
- Bleach Proto Collector
- Funko Events on Top!
- Anime Fanatic
Wondercon 2023, SDCC 2023, Fright Night 2022, Killer Klowns!!

:whdat:

brooklyn_geek

Postby brooklyn_geek » Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:34 pm

This whole "lineage" thing...while I get it, I think it's a little silly tbh...once upon a time I attempted to sell a proto and an interested party inquired in regard to the "lineage" of the piece...well I didn't conveniently have any photos of me holding it at Fundays, but I referred the person to my profile here as well as IG and even managed to find my ticket from that year's Fundays...apparently this wasn't sufficient lol

I look at it like high end purses & bags, for me personally if there is a good likelihood the item may be counterfeit, I don't need it that bad...so yeah I'm not sure what "supportive lineage" is exactly but it makes the whole thing a lot less FUN ;)

evrythngzen

Postby evrythngzen » Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:33 pm

This thread has been so helpful. Thank you! I only have a couple and mine all came from funko directly but I have seen them around on different apps and wondered about them. If I ever decide to start buying them, I'm gonna come back here and read all these notes again. You guys are awesome.
:freddy3: Collector, convention manager, all around nerdy weirdo!!

Arneldenal

Postby Arneldenal » Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:48 pm

jagpop wrote:Good info from everyone. Thank you.

Linage and photos very important

zonkttc

Postby zonkttc » Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:35 pm

Arneldenal wrote:

True I tend to look if there are multiple post. That at Is times leaned that the item is real. Just when looking at the photo you should be looking for any signs of alterations or any photoshop that usually helps me as well

Arneldenal

Postby Arneldenal » Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:57 pm

zonkttc wrote:
Arneldenal wrote:

True I tend to look if there are multiple post. That at Is times leaned that the item is real. Just when looking at the photo you should be looking for any signs of alterations or any photoshop that usually helps me as well

That’s very true too fakes are usually scratched up as well

zonkttc

Postby zonkttc » Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:47 am

Arneldenal wrote:
zonkttc wrote:
Arneldenal wrote:

Yea. I also tend to look for trusted source and people. Like a job I tend to look at the references and tell its a genuine item

Serch_na

Postby Serch_na » Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:54 am

SnackDaddy wrote:
Mr Yac wrote:
SnackDaddy wrote:Rule of thumb

Follow the paper trail, ask for proof. Anyone with a real proto would be more than happy to show you proof. If you have questions about a certain seller, don't be afraid to ask someone who has been around for their opinion.

what proof though? do they come with a certificate of authenticity or something?

Receipts from either Gemini or Fugitive if purchased. If won from a contest, a screen shot of the page/post/email showing that you were in fact the winner. If won at an FDO, contacting the host of the specific FDO works since we look and take notes of all the protos we are given to hand out. Fundays USUALLY can be proven with a picture of the proto at fundays (if done with an iphone, you can show the time, date, and location of where the picture was taken at).

Although these measures seem extreme, it is a lot better than paying hundreds of dollars for a scrap piece that someone bought on ebay for $14

THIS :freddy2: :freddy1:
NYCC 2022
Deadpool - Photography - Mexican

plumb102

Postby plumb102 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:52 pm

Is there anyway at all to tell if it's legit without any paper trail?
I have 3 protos from Funko events, but my fourth was through somebody else.

Thanks! :-k :-k
SDCC 1996-current - Wondercon 2012-current - LACC 2021-current - ECCC '22 - Niagara Falls Con '22 - Designer Con '23
FunKon Hollywood '21 - Pasadena Con 2023-current - FunKon 2 HQ '22 - WonderCon Beach Bash '22 - Funkoville SDCC '22 & '23 -
WonderCon Fun House '23 - Back to the Beginning: Bob's Big Boy Meetup '24 - Comic-Con Revolution '24

Arneldenal

Postby Arneldenal » Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:28 pm

zonkttc wrote:
Arneldenal wrote:
zonkttc wrote:True I tend to look if there are multiple post. That at Is times leaned that the item is real. Just when looking at the photo you should be looking for any signs of alterations or any photoshop that usually helps me as well

Yea. I also tend to look for trusted source and people. Like a job I tend to look at the references and tell its a genuine item

100% agree

Arneldenal

Postby Arneldenal » Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:29 pm

plumb102 wrote:Is there anyway at all to tell if it's legit without any paper trail?
I have 3 protos from Funko events, but my fourth was through somebody else.

Thanks! :-k :-k

It’s hard but really does depend on the source

Gsanch28

Postby Gsanch28 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:04 pm

I think it’s always a gamble so I don’t like to pick up any unless I see it personally passed out or see the lineage. It’s an awesome experience to get one though. :freddy2:
:freddy1: " I don't know anything with certainty, but seeing the stars makes me dream"

zonkttc

Postby zonkttc » Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:40 pm

Gsanch28 wrote:I think it’s always a gamble so I don’t like to pick up any unless I see it personally passed out or see the lineage. It’s an awesome experience to get one though. :freddy2:

Great pov thanks

RedRoo

Postby RedRoo » Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:28 pm

always ask for receipts. its the only way to be safe, and always avoid buying protoypes from China. 99% of them are factory rejects.
As for 3d printing they might get close with a resin printer but the weights will be all off.
~Guy
TEAM BACON!
"With blood and rage of crimson red,

Ripped from a corpse so freshly dead,

Together with our hellish hate,

We'll burn you all--that is your fate!"

ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage

zonkttc

Postby zonkttc » Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:50 am

RedRoo wrote:always ask for receipts. its the only way to be safe, and always avoid buying protoypes from China. 99% of them are factory rejects.
As for 3d printing they might get close with a resin printer but the weights will be all off.

Yea and 3d printing always have a tell. So always look closely for layers etc.

ldela001

Postby ldela001 » Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:39 pm

If I were to somehow win a prototype, I sure hope I’ll be able to prove it somehow.
Funko Goals:
-Attend Fundays
-Win a prototype
-Collect all Ewok-related Pops!

:wwe7:

Jalvarez

Postby Jalvarez » Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:25 pm

ldela001 wrote:If I were to somehow win a prototype, I sure hope I’ll be able to prove it somehow.

Agree with it. I have one proto I won on a WonderCon 2023, As you mentioned I got the prove and everything. This somehow is like a signature, If It is possible have a prove if no Certification is given. And as many mentioned the Trust in the Seller. :freddy2:
SDCC 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023 → 2024
WonderCon 2019, 2022, 2023 → 2024
Fred Project Release Party
D23 Expo →2024
Fundays → Here We Go

Pops: 120 Sodas:10 Signed Pops 40 Signed Sodas: 5

TheOverlord619

Postby TheOverlord619 » Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:03 pm

I remember the one prototype I've ever got I traded for a grail, and the new owner wanted me to write my name down on a piece of paper and where I got it or something silly like that. Ever since then I've been contacted like two or three times by people when it goes up for sale or trade asking me if it's legit. Prototypes are like a cold sore, they just keep coming back.

Funko Ronin

Postby Funko Ronin » Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:35 pm

TheOverlord619 wrote:I remember the one prototype I've ever got I traded for a grail, and the new owner wanted me to write my name down on a piece of paper and where I got it or something silly like that. Ever since then I've been contacted like two or three times by people when it goes up for sale or trade asking me if it's legit. Prototypes are like a cold sore, they just keep coming back.

Agreed,

SpaceDude
Rookie Of The year
Rookie Of The year

Postby SpaceDude » Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:03 pm

TheOverlord619 wrote:I remember the one prototype I've ever got I traded for a grail, and the new owner wanted me to write my name down on a piece of paper and where I got it or something silly like that. Ever since then I've been contacted like two or three times by people when it goes up for sale or trade asking me if it's legit. Prototypes are like a cold sore, they just keep coming back.

I agree for sure!!
Tate/SpaceDude's Pop Vault :freddy3:
2020 Rookie of the Year
Instagram: spacedudespopvault
Facebook: Tate McCarty
Colorado Funatic

x88joe88x

Postby x88joe88x » Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:23 pm

TriFeckTa wrote:The people with the fake protos usually don't 3d print them, they more than likely strip the paint.

Or get scrappers from china. Always get the lineage!
Instagram: popstop_nyc
YouTube.com/@popstopnyc
ImageImage Image
Collector since 2013!
750 pops and counting…
NYCC since 2013
SDCC 2023, 2024
C2E2 2024

SpaceDude
Rookie Of The year
Rookie Of The year

Postby SpaceDude » Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:51 pm

x88joe88x wrote:
TriFeckTa wrote:The people with the fake protos usually don't 3d print them, they more than likely strip the paint.

Or get scrappers from china. Always get the lineage!

There is so many scrappers from china it's hard to tell the difference!
2020 Rookie of the Year
Colorado Funatic

Flatt

Postby Flatt » Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:53 pm

oh geez. something else to look out for. Ugh.

SpaceDude
Rookie Of The year
Rookie Of The year

Postby SpaceDude » Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:57 pm

Flatt wrote:oh geez. something else to look out for. Ugh.

It's getting so hard to know what is legit or not.
2020 Rookie of the Year
Colorado Funatic

Flatt

Postby Flatt » Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:07 pm

#Truth. Luckily if I ever do get a proto it'll be at fundays and I'll know its legit.

SpaceDude
Rookie Of The year
Rookie Of The year

Postby SpaceDude » Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:16 pm

Flatt wrote:#Truth. Luckily if I ever do get a proto it'll be at fundays and I'll know its legit.

I totally agree, hopefully protos happen this year!
2020 Rookie of the Year
Colorado Funatic

Flatt

Postby Flatt » Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:23 pm

SpaceDude wrote:
Flatt wrote:#Truth. Luckily if I ever do get a proto it'll be at fundays and I'll know its legit.

I totally agree, hopefully protos happen this year!

I was sad they didnt last year. It was my first SDCC and Funday and I was REALLY looking forward to it, but nada =(

SonicFan1987

Postby SonicFan1987 » Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:57 pm

I'm hoping to go to SDCC and Fundays this year, my buddy has a ticket for me but it would really make the trip to get into Fundays. Sad to hear they didn't give out any protos last year, didn't they also raise the price for a ticket a bunch as well?

Flatt

Postby Flatt » Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:06 am

SonicFan1987 wrote:I'm hoping to go to SDCC and Fundays this year, my buddy has a ticket for me but it would really make the trip to get into Fundays. Sad to hear they didn't give out any protos last year, didn't they also raise the price for a ticket a bunch as well?

yes and yes. We shall see what this years 2 day event is like.

SonicFan1987

Postby SonicFan1987 » Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:28 am

Flatt wrote:
SonicFan1987 wrote:I'm hoping to go to SDCC and Fundays this year, my buddy has a ticket for me but it would really make the trip to get into Fundays. Sad to hear they didn't give out any protos last year, didn't they also raise the price for a ticket a bunch as well?

yes and yes. We shall see what this years 2 day event is like.

I've been seeing a couple threads on that, has anything been confirmed by Funko or is it just rumor at this point?

edsteez

Postby edsteez » Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:33 am

I’m sure their is good fakes and bad fakes, be wary forsure

kidleaderkty

Postby kidleaderkty » Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:57 am

ldela001 wrote:If I were to somehow win a prototype, I sure hope I’ll be able to prove it somehow.

Take pictures at the event you won it at, good starting point.
SDCC 2024, first time attending!

Next on my list is to attend Fundays!

Anime fanatic

Return to “Pop!”