False Prototypes

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
zonkttc

Re: False Prototypes

Postby zonkttc » Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:13 am

kidleaderkty wrote:
ldela001 wrote:If I were to somehow win a prototype, I sure hope I’ll be able to prove it somehow.

Take pictures at the event you won it at, good starting point.

Agree. The more evidence the better

Flatt

Postby Flatt » Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:33 pm

SonicFan1987 wrote:
Flatt wrote:
SonicFan1987 wrote:I'm hoping to go to SDCC and Fundays this year, my buddy has a ticket for me but it would really make the trip to get into Fundays. Sad to hear they didn't give out any protos last year, didn't they also raise the price for a ticket a bunch as well?

yes and yes. We shall see what this years 2 day event is like.

I've been seeing a couple threads on that, has anything been confirmed by Funko or is it just rumor at this point?

Rumors as far as I can tell. But it's gaining traction and no-one has come out against it yet. So I'm gearing up my plans for 2 days of events.

SpaceDude
Rookie Of The year
Rookie Of The year

Postby SpaceDude » Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:11 pm

Flatt wrote:
SpaceDude wrote:
Flatt wrote:#Truth. Luckily if I ever do get a proto it'll be at fundays and I'll know its legit.

I totally agree, hopefully protos happen this year!

I was sad they didnt last year. It was my first SDCC and Funday and I was REALLY looking forward to it, but nada =(

Hopefully this year it happens!! Hope to meet ya this year! :cheers:
Tate/SpaceDude's Pop Vault :freddy3:
2020 Rookie of the Year
Instagram: spacedudespopvault
Facebook: Tate McCarty
Colorado Funatic

SonicFan1987

Postby SonicFan1987 » Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:04 pm

I hope to meet all of you as well, would be my first Fundays. Hopefully we get a proto, would be my first one of those as well.

diabolix

Postby diabolix » Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:23 pm

SonicFan1987 wrote:I hope to meet all of you as well, would be my first Fundays. Hopefully we get a proto, would be my first one of those as well.

Hoping to snag Funday tickets this year as well! I heard it's not a fun time trying to get them.

Flatt

Postby Flatt » Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:59 am

SpaceDude wrote:
Flatt wrote:
SpaceDude wrote:
I totally agree, hopefully protos happen this year!

I was sad they didnt last year. It was my first SDCC and Funday and I was REALLY looking forward to it, but nada =(

Fingers crossed at a port this year. Extra fingers crossed at getting funday tix!

funkomarv96

Postby funkomarv96 » Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:20 am

DeputyDan wrote:With the world of technology getting more and more crazy, now i begin to wonder if people can 3D print false prototypes?

Anyone else had these thoughts?

I just love my POPS! and now that I've started collecting these prototypes, I want to make sure I'm buying the real deal.

I’m sure they can print false prototypes and all but why go through the trouble if you can order one on eBay from china for a couple bucks more lol. I’m sure it’ll cost around the same to 3D print one

SonicFan1987

Postby SonicFan1987 » Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:32 am

diabolix wrote:
SonicFan1987 wrote:I hope to meet all of you as well, would be my first Fundays. Hopefully we get a proto, would be my first one of those as well.

Hoping to snag Funday tickets this year as well! I heard it's not a fun time trying to get them.

I've been trying since 2018 with no luck so far. Almost got in last year but had a credit card issue that was entirely my fault. My credit card company thought I was being defrauded and in my excitement and panic before the tickets disappeared I accidentally clicked "I did not" on the app when it asked if I made this purchase. Buttons were so close together damnit. My CC got locked down and by the time I had typed in another one my tickets left my cart and were gone.

SpaceDude
Rookie Of The year
Rookie Of The year

Postby SpaceDude » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:18 am

Flatt wrote:
SpaceDude wrote:
Flatt wrote:

Fingers crossed at a port this year. Extra fingers crossed at getting funday tix!

I know I am hoping to get tickets as well!
Tate/SpaceDude's Pop Vault :freddy3:
2020 Rookie of the Year
Instagram: spacedudespopvault
Facebook: Tate McCarty
Colorado Funatic

Flatt

Postby Flatt » Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:42 am

SpaceDude wrote:
Flatt wrote:
SpaceDude wrote:

Well good luck to us both then!!

SonicFan1987

Postby SonicFan1987 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:00 am

Flatt wrote:
SpaceDude wrote:
Flatt wrote:

I'll throw some energy into this, to all three of us! And an anime proto to us all

zonkttc

Postby zonkttc » Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:14 am

SonicFan1987 wrote:
Flatt wrote:
SpaceDude wrote:

I'll throw some energy into this, to all three of us! And an anime proto to us all

Adding to this prayer circle to the Funko fates lol

Ronnie18

Postby Ronnie18 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:33 am

Yes, fingers crossed I can get tickets to Fundays and they give out protos this year.

kmandude92

Postby kmandude92 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:47 am

As someone who just got their first proto from Funko, I'm hoping to get into Fundays this year and start building up my collection!
Stay Lit, Y'all :-({|=
ISO:
Ezio 21 (looking for all versions - grey outfit, black outfit, blue outfit)
Logan 28 (Box Only - I have the non-bobblehead Pop itself)
Peter Parker 34 (Box Only - I have the Pop itself)
God Loki

SonicFan1987

Postby SonicFan1987 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:03 pm

I hope even if the rumors are true and fundays is two days since there were no prototypes given away last year at Fundays they have enough to go around for thus Fundays.

Chingy

Postby Chingy » Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:17 pm

SonicFan1987 wrote:I hope even if the rumors are true and fundays is two days since there were no prototypes given away last year at Fundays they have enough to go around for thus Fundays.

Sadly, I doubt we ever see protos mass given out again except for rare occasions in very limited quantities and small-number giveaways.

plumb102

Postby plumb102 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:05 pm

Chingy wrote:
SonicFan1987 wrote:I hope even if the rumors are true and fundays is two days since there were no prototypes given away last year at Fundays they have enough to go around for thus Fundays.

Sadly, I doubt we ever see protos mass given out again except for rare occasions in very limited quantities and small-number giveaways.

I feel like this is the way its going as well :/
SDCC 1996-current - Wondercon 2012-current - LACC 2021-current - ECCC '22 - Niagara Falls Con '22 - Designer Con '23
FunKon Hollywood '21 - Pasadena Con 2023-current - FunKon 2 HQ '22 - WonderCon Beach Bash '22 - Funkoville SDCC '22 & '23 -
WonderCon Fun House '23 - Back to the Beginning: Bob's Big Boy Meetup '24 - Comic-Con Revolution '24

lilbologna

Postby lilbologna » Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:45 pm

Kal-El-051 wrote:
SnackDaddy wrote:Rule of thumb

Follow the paper trail, ask for proof. Anyone with a real proto would be more than happy to show you proof. If you have questions about a certain seller, don't be afraid to ask someone who has been around for their opinion.

This is a great way of doing it and the rule I follow when I purchase them myself, which isn't often. However, what do you do if they claim it came from Fundays? No paper trail there. I ask simply because I have some from Fundays and want to be able to prove myself and make them feel comfortable in addition to protecting myself if somebody claims that on one of theirs.

yeah when i got mine at fundays, i didn't even know i would later have to prove it so i only have a few photos of my getting it. hopefully if i decide to sell it, tha'ts enough
:freddy1:
ImageImageImage

lilbologna

Postby lilbologna » Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:46 pm

whoa i have not heard this rumor, would we need two separate tickets and would they be different styles of days?? or the same thing both days?
:freddy1:
ImageImageImage

SonicFan1987

Postby SonicFan1987 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:02 pm

lilbologna wrote:

whoa i have not heard this rumor, would we need two separate tickets and would they be different styles of days?? or the same thing both days?

From what I'd assume two separate tickets. Probably the same itinerary each day with the same pops etc.

SonicFan1987

Postby SonicFan1987 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:03 pm

Chingy wrote:

Why do you figure that would be? We all love them we all want them, they are making plenty of them.

diabolix

Postby diabolix » Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:46 pm

SonicFan1987 wrote:
Chingy wrote:

Why do you figure that would be? We all love them we all want them, they are making plenty of them.

I assume it's because of last Fundays where they said/implied they didn't have enough for current attendees. Seems like Fundays is only getting bigger, and they'll probably stick to their reasoning.

I do agree with you though, they have plenty they can give away

Chingy

Postby Chingy » Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:02 pm

SonicFan1987 wrote:
Chingy wrote:

Because one of, if not the most, alluring factor of Fundays was that everyone got a proto. It was (in my opinion) the single biggest item people went to the event for. It was an event within an event to get them. They made a spectacle of it and everyone talked about what was given out. It was a big deal and the crown jewel giveaway of the night. And they didn't give them out this past Fundays. Just seems like it's something that they're not going to bring back once they've already severed the tradition.

SonicFan1987

Postby SonicFan1987 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:23 am

Chingy wrote:
SonicFan1987 wrote:
Chingy wrote:

Because one of, if not the most, alluring factor of Fundays was that everyone got a proto. It was (in my opinion) the single biggest item people went to the event for. It was an event within an event to get them. They made a spectacle of it and everyone talked about what was given out. It was a big deal and the crown jewel giveaway of the night. And they didn't give them out this past Fundays. Just seems like it's something that they're not going to bring back once they've already severed the tradition.

Well you said it, it's the most alluring factor. I still think it was beyond crappy of Funko to bump the price as much as they did then not give out a proto, which in your own words and those of many others I've seen is one of the biggest boons and draws for Fundays. Just doesn't seem very "fun" to me. Seems like something Disney would do

diabolix

Postby diabolix » Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:48 am

SonicFan1987 wrote:
Chingy wrote:
SonicFan1987 wrote:Why do you figure that would be? We all love them we all want them, they are making plenty of them.

Well you said it, it's the most alluring factor. I still think it was beyond crappy of Funko to bump the price as much as they did then not give out a proto, which in your own words and those of many others I've seen is one of the biggest boons and draws for Fundays. Just doesn't seem very "fun" to me. Seems like something Disney would do

I'm just hoping they heard the feedback of no protos, and might decide to give out protos again. Or at least do like raffles or games to potentially win some. Either that or they need to release some really fire Freddy/Franny Funko molds

supertoygiant
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby supertoygiant » Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:41 pm

Kal-El-051 wrote:
SnackDaddy wrote:Rule of thumb

Follow the paper trail, ask for proof. Anyone with a real proto would be more than happy to show you proof. If you have questions about a certain seller, don't be afraid to ask someone who has been around for their opinion.

This is a great way of doing it and the rule I follow when I purchase them myself, which isn't often. However, what do you do if they claim it came from Fundays? No paper trail there. I ask simply because I have some from Fundays and want to be able to prove myself and make them feel comfortable in addition to protecting myself if somebody claims that on one of theirs.

Always remember to take pictures at the event with the proto and save your badge and any other proof that you were there. If you don't have any of that, then it comes down to people vouching for you.
1st pop Marvel Thor bobble head and Captain America (2011) Walked into booth at SDCC and purchased in less than 5 minutes.

COTM 5/2019

FUNKLUB MEMBER #1893

1st dorbz Funko shop Freddy.

ISO CM Punk NIB or OOB

Flatt

Postby Flatt » Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:27 pm

This is the true hope for sure!

DJR

Postby DJR » Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:35 pm

Someone fill me in? Whats a prototype? I'm relatively new to the game. Have an SDCC ticket and hoping on a slim chance that I can go to Fundays.

SonicFan1987

Postby SonicFan1987 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:13 pm

DJR wrote:Someone fill me in? Whats a prototype? I'm relatively new to the game. Have an SDCC ticket and hoping on a slim chance that I can go to Fundays.

Hi DJR, welcome to the boards. From my understanding prototypes are the first "pulls" they do of a mold without all the color that you would see in a finished pop. Usually they are all one color or two tone and among certain collectors very popular. Go check out eBay for some ideas, there are also Facebook groups dedicated to auctions for them. If I'm off base this IS the internet and there is no faster way to get a response than when you are slightly wrong about something XD

Marvel_Mama

Postby Marvel_Mama » Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:22 pm

SonicFan1987 wrote:
DJR wrote:Someone fill me in? Whats a prototype? I'm relatively new to the game. Have an SDCC ticket and hoping on a slim chance that I can go to Fundays.

Hi DJR, welcome to the boards. From my understanding prototypes are the first "pulls" they do of a mold without all the color that you would see in a finished pop. Usually they are all one color or two tone and among certain collectors very popular. Go check out eBay for some ideas, there are also Facebook groups dedicated to auctions for them. If I'm off base this IS the internet and there is no faster way to get a response than when you are slightly wrong about something XD

The prototype is the first thing made for Funko to approve the mold. There is an average 2-3 white and 5-6 color produced but that also varies greatly. Funko gives out at events or contests etc. 90% of ebay sales are scrappers which are pulled of the production line at the factory and are not prototypes. The protos are sent to Funko directly and Funko gives those out to a couple stores and mostly events. Always ask questions, thats how we all learn this process and how to not buy scrappers. They are a very cool piece of Funko history for sure. Funko Protos 101 on facebook has a lot of older collectors with a lot of knowledge there to help. Happy Hunting and goodluck at SDCC and hopefully Fundays!! :freddy2:
Diedre Loves her Funko Family
marvel_mama444 on insta - formerly Divade23 Marvel_Mama

Funkolotz1622

Postby Funkolotz1622 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:22 pm

Flatt wrote:

I wonder if they really have a lot, they been doing fan rewards twice a month and they also did couple of raffle, and did some giveaways in NYCC. It's definitely more fun with a proto though
Fundays 2022 - Black Light Proto Robos
Fright Night 2022
Fundays 2023 - Protomoa Wolves

SonicFan1987

Postby SonicFan1987 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:00 pm

Funkolotz1622 wrote:
Flatt wrote:

I wonder if they really have a lot, they been doing fan rewards twice a month and they also did couple of raffle, and did some giveaways in NYCC. It's definitely more fun with a proto though

You gotta assume for each new pop off the line they have at least 4 or 5 protos in different stages for that mold, that's a lot of protos.

x88joe88x

Postby x88joe88x » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:17 am

Sadly I didn’t see protos being given out in mass at big events anymore
Instagram: popstop_nyc
YouTube.com/@popstopnyc
ImageImage Image
Collector since 2013!
750 pops and counting…
NYCC since 2013
SDCC 2023, 2024
C2E2 2024

plumb102

Postby plumb102 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:55 am

diabolix wrote:
SonicFan1987 wrote:
Chingy wrote:

I'm just hoping they heard the feedback of no protos, and might decide to give out protos again. Or at least do like raffles or games to potentially win some. Either that or they need to release some really fire Freddy/Franny Funko molds

I'm all for the raffles/games to get the protos; got my first Proto during Hollywood Funkon playing cornhole on the stage!
SDCC 1996-current - Wondercon 2012-current - LACC 2021-current - ECCC '22 - Niagara Falls Con '22 - Designer Con '23
FunKon Hollywood '21 - Pasadena Con 2023-current - FunKon 2 HQ '22 - WonderCon Beach Bash '22 - Funkoville SDCC '22 & '23 -
WonderCon Fun House '23 - Back to the Beginning: Bob's Big Boy Meetup '24 - Comic-Con Revolution '24

Elviax

Postby Elviax » Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:57 am

x88joe88x wrote:Sadly I didn’t see protos being given out in mass at big events anymore

I would agree with this! It does seem like they are trying to make the events larger though, so if thats the trade off I dont mind it much
Anime/Pokemon Collector

Flatt

Postby Flatt » Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:59 am

SonicFan1987 wrote:
Funkolotz1622 wrote:
Flatt wrote:

You gotta assume for each new pop off the line they have at least 4 or 5 protos in different stages for that mold, that's a lot of protos.

hmmm, very interesting for sure.

DJR

Postby DJR » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:03 am

SonicFan1987 wrote:

Nice, thank you for the info SonicFan, sounds like a pretty cool grab if you can get your hands on one.

DJR

Postby DJR » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:08 am

Marvel_Mama wrote:
SonicFan1987 wrote:

The prototype is the first thing made for Funko to approve the mold. There is an average 2-3 white and 5-6 color produced but that also varies greatly. Funko gives out at events or contests etc. 90% of ebay sales are scrappers which are pulled of the production line at the factory and are not prototypes. The protos are sent to Funko directly and Funko gives those out to a couple stores and mostly events. Always ask questions, thats how we all learn this process and how to not buy scrappers. They are a very cool piece of Funko history for sure. Funko Protos 101 on facebook has a lot of older collectors with a lot of knowledge there to help. Happy Hunting and goodluck at SDCC and hopefully Fundays!! :freddy2:

Whoa, thanks for the knowledge. Lots to learn for sure!

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:16 am

Not many protos went out last Fundays as like prior years!

plumb102

Postby plumb102 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:19 am

rexflexall wrote:Not many protos went out last Fundays as like prior years!

Yeah, I think I remember Mike handing out/throwing into the crowd, maybe 8 at most?

Return to “Pop!”