A Studio Ghibli POP! Line

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
digithor

Re: A Studio Ghibli POP! Line

Postby digithor » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:13 pm

Melodycc74 wrote:Oh my goodness! I would go broke buying all the Studio Ghibli Pops! Totoro is my favorite!

There always seems to be another pocket in the wallet with some money when funko comes out with more goodies.
SDCC 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
Fundays 2018, 2019, 2021, 2023
HQ Grand Opening, ECCC Night and meetup at HQ, Hollywood Grand Opening, World Premier Making fun
Horror fanatic, GiTD collector, Star Wars
ImageImageImageImage

PopPChulo

Postby PopPChulo » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:22 am

Battastic wrote:Would love to see a Howl's Moving Castle POP Town

You KNOW this would be a given. Heck I wouldn't even be mad if it was a con exclusive. That house is iconic in the ghibli mythos!
PopPChulo

Funko Enthusiast/Creative Idea Expert/Music Analyst/Pop Culture Geek :freddy3:

"Creativity is all around you.. How you chose to use that creativity is at your disgression" - Pop-P Chulo

PopPChulo

Postby PopPChulo » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:23 am

Vertigo813 wrote:When I picked up my Jim as Dwight pop at BoxLunch this was on my sorter box. I would like to hope this was a hint, rather than a troll, by BL.

It could very well be a hint. Remember they had some random pops code named as the pokemon that are dropping now before they came out. I think these are a very strong possibility especially because there has been some pretty strong and accurate concept art that dropped in the past for these.
PopPChulo

"Creativity is all around you.. How you chose to use that creativity is at your disgression" - Pop-P Chulo

valorandvellum
Rookie of The Year & Spirit
Rookie of The Year & Spirit

Postby valorandvellum » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:34 pm

Totoro would definitely be the most logical choice, but if they started doing characters from Spirited Away, I would go broke!
Creator of Soonay & Toratai • 2024 Shows: ECCC (H-12), WonderCon (F-26), C2E2 (U-12), AX (B3), SDCC (Booth #4721)

Lexi

Postby Lexi » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:39 pm

PopPChulo wrote:

You KNOW this would be a given. Heck I wouldn't even be mad if it was a con exclusive. That house is iconic in the ghibli mythos!

It would be pretty awesome. I wonder what is the deciding factor with Funko deciding what to make. Popularity, cost of making mold, all of the above.
FUNKO FUNDAYS 2015, 2016, 2022
FDO LA 6
World Premiere Making Fun

Funko Hollywood Grand Opening
FUNKON 2021

PopPChulo

Postby PopPChulo » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:55 pm

Lexi wrote:
PopPChulo wrote:

It would be pretty awesome. I wonder what is the deciding factor with Funko deciding what to make. Popularity, cost of making mold, all of the above.

I think the primary factor when dealing with Ghibli in particular has to be Licensing. Ghibli has a huge EXTREMELY dedicated fan base so much to the point that every year there are showings in the movie theater of their films still lol. They have a hardcore fan base. Its def not a fact on if these will sell but it's the good folks at Ghibli giving Funko the blessing to go ham with the creation of the figures and them coming to terms.
PopPChulo

Lexi

Postby Lexi » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:51 pm

PopPChulo wrote:
Lexi wrote:
PopPChulo wrote:

I think the primary factor when dealing with Ghibli in particular has to be Licensing. Ghibli has a huge EXTREMELY dedicated fan base so much to the point that every year there are showings in the movie theater of their films still lol. They have a hardcore fan base. Its def not a fact on if these will sell but it's the good folks at Ghibli giving Funko the blessing to go ham with the creation of the figures and them coming to terms.

Hoping that it is something that Funko is pursuing, they seem to have pretty good luck with getting the licenses they want.
FDO LA 6

FUNKON 2021

PopPChulo

Postby PopPChulo » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:29 pm

Lexi wrote:
PopPChulo wrote:
Lexi wrote:

Hoping that it is something that Funko is pursuing, they seem to have pretty good luck with getting the licenses they want.

Its because each year they are growing exponentially and becoming an even more powerful force. I hope they get ahold of it - if any one could do it.. IT definitely would be Funko. Lol Im sure Brian is trying for this one maybe not as much as he is trying for the Holy Grail aka the Nintendo License but Im sure its something thats on the books
PopPChulo

grumpysf23

Postby grumpysf23 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:00 pm

PopPChulo wrote:
Lexi wrote:
PopPChulo wrote:

Agree with you here, this studio is incredibly protective of there franchise, but they have just announced streaming rights with HBO Max so hopefully this opens up a potential partnership with Funko and others.

PopPChulo

Postby PopPChulo » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:10 am

grumpysf23 wrote:
PopPChulo wrote:
Lexi wrote:

Agree with you here, this studio is incredibly protective of there franchise, but they have just announced streaming rights with HBO Max so hopefully this opens up a potential partnership with Funko and others.

I agree with you because there is so much potential for this line to be extensive and I know that people who are huge fans of everything Ghibli like me will be more than happy to support this to the fullest extent tbh
PopPChulo

Lexi

Postby Lexi » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:28 pm

PopPChulo wrote:
grumpysf23 wrote:
PopPChulo wrote:

I agree with you because there is so much potential for this line to be extensive and I know that people who are huge fans of everything Ghibli like me will be more than happy to support this to the fullest extent tbh

Hopefully with them giving streaming rights they will consider other licensing deals and we will hopefully have some Ghibli pops in the future.
FDO LA 6

FUNKON 2021

PopPChulo

Postby PopPChulo » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:01 am

Lexi wrote:
PopPChulo wrote:
grumpysf23 wrote:

Hopefully with them giving streaming rights they will consider other licensing deals and we will hopefully have some Ghibli pops in the future.

Can you imagine how intricate the detail will be on these POPS when you have things like Princess Mononoke and her mask? OMG - I really want these to happen. I would be filled with excitement if I actually seen these surface.
PopPChulo

PopPopGoestheHuey

Postby PopPopGoestheHuey » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:04 am

I want to get my son all the My Neighbor Totoro pops. one of his favorite movies ever.
It's Easy to Smile when you're surrounded by this much MAGIC!!

Gooker1

Postby Gooker1 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:25 am

PopPChulo wrote:
Lexi wrote:
PopPChulo wrote:

Um yes. I'm watching Spirited Away tomorrow at AMC. hahahaha

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:29 am

This line would have so much support!

Lexi

Postby Lexi » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:11 pm

Gooker1 wrote:
PopPChulo wrote:
Lexi wrote:

I saw it too. What a coincidence.
FDO LA 6

FUNKON 2021

Gooker1

Postby Gooker1 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:04 am

Lexi wrote:
Gooker1 wrote:
PopPChulo wrote:

Holding out hope we will see them in pop form! Was a little bummed it was the dubbed and not the sub version. :/

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:38 am

Sign me up for some Totoro!

drehill

Postby drehill » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:35 am

Seeing that SKU is definitely promising. I was really hoping Disney+ would get the Studio Ghibli streaming rights but HBO Max swooped in, really surprised Disney missed that opportunity.

Anyway, Flocked Catbus is a big want for me.

brooklyn_geek

Postby brooklyn_geek » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:45 am

Unfortunately I look at this like I look at Nintendo...yeah it might be interesting to see what Funko would do with it but clearly a bunch of other companies are already producing great products with the license so its a moot matter imo. Cool if it happens

FunkoLoco

Postby FunkoLoco » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:45 am

i'd love a totoro!
ImageImage

YeetGrimes
Spirit Award
Spirit Award

Postby YeetGrimes » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:49 am

I wonder what's stumping Funko from getting this license :-k Studio Ghibli can't be that stubborn, can they? I mean they can't be Nintendo stubborn lol
Hiya, I'm Julie Bove! I'm an It fanatic and completist as well as an artist that frequently creates Funko and pop culture-related pieces. Check them out on my social medias: https://linktr.ee/yeetgrimes

ImageImageImageImageImage Image

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:54 am

This needs to happen!!

nyel24

Postby nyel24 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:09 pm

need a totoro in the worst possible way.

PopPChulo

Postby PopPChulo » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:59 am

Gooker1 wrote:
Lexi wrote:
Gooker1 wrote:

Holding out hope we will see them in pop form! Was a little bummed it was the dubbed and not the sub version. :/

I'm still waiting patiently for Funko to grant my wildest dreams with this license specifically lol :freddy2: :freddy2: :freddy2:
PopPChulo

FireFist

Postby FireFist » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:26 pm

PopPChulo wrote:

That's a day 1 grab for me .
    Image Image
Iso:One Piece and Yugioh Protos
Instagram:@stardust.singh

FireFist

Postby FireFist » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:28 pm

I would like to see pop line from miyazaki movie The Wind Rises .
    Image Image
Iso:One Piece and Yugioh Protos
Instagram:@stardust.singh

Lexi

Postby Lexi » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:53 pm

FireFist wrote:
PopPChulo wrote:

That's a day 1 grab for me .

You are right, not something I would wait on.
FDO LA 6

FUNKON 2021

jjb11590

Postby jjb11590 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:26 pm

nyel24 wrote:need a totoro in the worst possible way.

If/when Funko ever gets licensing this would be ideal as a larger pop (6", 10" or 19")
I will be one of the many waiting for that release!
Image ImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImage

IG/Twitter: jjb11590

Carolinamelgoza

Postby Carolinamelgoza » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:36 pm

OMG these would be amazing but sadly it may be difficult to get the license :-({|=

PopPChulo

Postby PopPChulo » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:11 am

jjb11590 wrote:

If/when Funko ever gets licensing this would be ideal as a larger pop (6", 10" or 19")

Can you imagine if they serve us up a 19" SDCC Flocked Totoro right out the gate?! man - I probably would faint from excitement. That would be a MUST Grab for me. . Even better if its a LE 1500 Piece. :freddy2: :freddy2: :freddy2: :freddy2: :freddy2: :freddy2: :freddy2:
PopPChulo

drehill

Postby drehill » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:18 am

PopPChulo wrote:Can you imagine if they serve us up a 10" Funko Shop Flocked Totoro right out the gate?!

Fixed, and fingers crossed ;-)

jjb11590

Postby jjb11590 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:08 am

PopPChulo wrote:
jjb11590 wrote:

Can you imagine if they serve us up a 19" SDCC Flocked Totoro right out the gate?! man - I probably would faint from excitement. That would be a MUST Grab for me. . Even better if its a LE 1500 Piece. :freddy2: :freddy2: :freddy2: :freddy2: :freddy2: :freddy2: :freddy2:

That would trump all others...AND if it was at SDCC...YES!! Let's keep our fingers crossed
Image ImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImage

IG/Twitter: jjb11590

sakura17

Postby sakura17 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:16 am

I'm hoping that it's gonna be a flocked version. I definitely don't want it to be a ten inch either, but if they go this route I could always place it right next to 10 inch pikachu.

mariog1497

Postby mariog1497 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:04 am

YeetGrimes wrote:I wonder what's stumping Funko from getting this license :-k Studio Ghibli can't be that stubborn, can they? I mean they can't be Nintendo stubborn lol

My only thought is that maybe another company has exclusive distribution rights for the Studio Ghibli license, that includes any type of collectible or figure. I'm sure Funko is continuously doing what they can though to work something out since the Ghibli license has been on sooooo many people's wishlist
Hey, I'm Mario! | Collector since 2015 | IG: @CoppedEmAll

YeetGrimes
Spirit Award
Spirit Award

Postby YeetGrimes » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:33 pm

mariog1497 wrote:
YeetGrimes wrote:I wonder what's stumping Funko from getting this license :-k Studio Ghibli can't be that stubborn, can they? I mean they can't be Nintendo stubborn lol

My only thought is that maybe another company has exclusive distribution rights for the Studio Ghibli license, that includes any type of collectible or figure. I'm sure Funko is continuously doing what they can though to work something out since the Ghibli license has been on sooooo many people's wishlist

Hmmm :-k Interesting thought. And I'm sure Funko is doing all they can! Maybe one day...
Hiya, I'm Julie Bove! I'm an It fanatic and completist as well as an artist that frequently creates Funko and pop culture-related pieces. Check them out on my social medias: https://linktr.ee/yeetgrimes

ImageImageImageImageImage Image

mariog1497

Postby mariog1497 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:22 am

YeetGrimes wrote:
mariog1497 wrote:

Hmmm :-k Interesting thought. And I'm sure Funko is doing all they can! Maybe one day...

Even though I'm not the biggest Ghibli fan, it's something that I hope every year gets announced at Fundays... here's to hoping for next years!
Hey, I'm Mario! | Collector since 2015 | IG: @CoppedEmAll

tugzy23

Postby tugzy23 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:22 pm

This would be awesome if this line would start, too much potential.
:freddy2:

Hirokus_bane

Postby Hirokus_bane » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:05 pm

tugzy23 wrote:This would be awesome if this line would start, too much potential.

I'd be a completist of this line if they are able to get the license.

LakerNation1216

Postby LakerNation1216 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:34 pm

My wife would actually start collecting pops if this happened, which is good and bad for me haha.
Current POP/Dorbz/Misc. Funko Count:
~1,711

Updated 4-11-22

Lakers Basketball
Rams Football
:freddy3:

Return to “Pop!”