What POP! do you think Funko should VAULT?

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
Alanamaslama

Re: What POP! do you think Funko should VAULT?

Postby Alanamaslama » Mon May 15, 2023 5:26 pm

hpellot wrote:
Alanamaslama wrote:
hpellot wrote:
I did not even try to get a protector for that one or the dnd cube from wondercon.

Here’s a link to the gelatinous cube protectors:

7BAP https://7bucksapop.com/products/gelatinous-cube-popshield-protectors-2-count-6-25-x-4-5-x-4-5-free-shipping-in-u-s

Display Geek also sells them individually, but they’re sold out for now.

Thanks I need to order some.

No prob. Display Geek’s protector guide says hardened Eren fits in regular 6” protectors. I don’t have the pop, but it could be like flocked Appa where it fits into the protector sideways and not top-down.
Hey, I’m Alan!

Events checked off:

Funko Fundays 2017, FunKon 2021
SDCC 1999, 2017-2019, 2022, 2023
WonderCon 2019
Comic Con Revolution Ontario 2017, 2018, 2023
Los Angeles Comic Con 2016, 2018, 2019

Ryko87

Postby Ryko87 » Mon May 15, 2023 5:48 pm

dtmkyle wrote:All the common pops i need to sell that nobody wants LMAO. Takes up like a corner of my collection room

Right, I have so many commons that I was just buying when I first started collecting and don’t want anymore. They need to be vaulted so I can get rid of them lol.

hpellot

Postby hpellot » Tue May 16, 2023 12:30 pm

rexflexall wrote:
rontonsoup wrote:I feel like they should go back to the old days with lower production numbers, vault them, then come out with a new mold like everyone else said.

Much agreed!!

This was before they became a publicly traded company,
ImageImageImage

Some people call me the orange hoodie

ISO funko Force creature from black lagoon chase Glow in the dark

hpellot

Postby hpellot » Tue May 16, 2023 12:30 pm

rexflexall wrote:
rontonsoup wrote:I feel like they should go back to the old days with lower production numbers, vault them, then come out with a new mold like everyone else said.

Much agreed!!

ImageImageImage

PopPChulo

Postby PopPChulo » Tue May 16, 2023 4:31 pm

Ryko87 wrote:
dtmkyle wrote:All the common pops i need to sell that nobody wants LMAO. Takes up like a corner of my collection room

Right, I have so many commons that I was just buying when I first started collecting and don’t want anymore. They need to be vaulted so I can get rid of them lol.

Bingo if vaulting was more frequent, it would be easier to fluctuate your collection and move things out to make space for new stuff you want in. Commons are so readily available when you pick them up nowadays you better be ready for stick with it for quite a while :) haha
PopPChulo

Funko Enthusiast/Creative Idea Expert/Music Analyst/Pop Culture Geek :freddy3:

"Creativity is all around you.. How you chose to use that creativity is at your disgression" - Pop-P Chulo

Boszdrew

Postby Boszdrew » Tue May 16, 2023 4:57 pm

funkopopfanatic wrote:
Lord Bacon wrote:
Boszdrew wrote:i think all 5 years old POP need to get vaulted IMO

I think that would be a very reasonable shelf life for Pops.

Agreed. They need to have a shelf life. I think 5 is even too long; I think a year max.

i agree but if funko making money they won't
Collecting Funko : 2018
SDCC : 2018, 2023
Wondercon 2018, 2019

Image Image

PopPChulo

Postby PopPChulo » Tue May 16, 2023 5:02 pm

Boszdrew wrote:
funkopopfanatic wrote:
Lord Bacon wrote:

Agreed. They need to have a shelf life. I think 5 is even too long; I think a year max.

Man one year for every pop would be beautiful.. I don’t understand why it wouldn’t be plausible given they could always do an additional mold of the same character. I kinda like when there’s only one mold of a character and a long time between them doing the same character again.
PopPChulo

"Creativity is all around you.. How you chose to use that creativity is at your disgression" - Pop-P Chulo

funkopopfanatic

Postby funkopopfanatic » Tue May 16, 2023 6:41 pm

PopPChulo wrote:
Boszdrew wrote:
funkopopfanatic wrote:Agreed. They need to have a shelf life. I think 5 is even too long; I think a year max.

Man one year for every pop would be beautiful.. I don’t understand why it wouldn’t be plausible given they could always do an additional mold of the same character. I kinda like when there’s only one mold of a character and a long time between them doing the same character again.

Exactly! I stopped buying commons because they were just so common. They’d probably also have less waste every year if they did this too.
SDCC Since 2007, Fundays 2018 & 2023!
Collecting Funko since 2011

funkopopfanatic

Postby funkopopfanatic » Tue May 16, 2023 6:51 pm

Boszdrew wrote:
funkopopfanatic wrote:
Lord Bacon wrote:

Idk. I think more collectors like myself would buy more commons if they knew they had a shelf life and were gonna be vaulted. Now they just sit on the shelves for years. They also had a lot of waste last year because of the overproduction. I miss the short run funko pops tbh.

rontonsoup

Postby rontonsoup » Wed May 17, 2023 12:30 am

hpellot wrote:
rexflexall wrote:

Much agreed!!

Let’s go back to those days lol
Collecting since 2014: "A couple that collects together, stays together."

hpellot

Postby hpellot » Wed May 17, 2023 12:25 pm

rontonsoup wrote:
hpellot wrote:
rexflexall wrote:
Much agreed!!

I agree, it would be nice.
ImageImageImage

Ryko87

Postby Ryko87 » Wed May 17, 2023 12:46 pm

PopPChulo wrote:
Ryko87 wrote:

Bingo if vaulting was more frequent, it would be easier to fluctuate your collection and move things out to make space for new stuff you want in. Commons are so readily available when you pick them up nowadays you better be ready for stick with it for quite a while :) haha

Yeah I just put them in a plastic container and they are in my closet for now lol.

Alanamaslama

Postby Alanamaslama » Thu May 18, 2023 9:22 am

PopPChulo wrote:
Ryko87 wrote:

I miss those days. My collection was a revolving door of grails and would-be grails. Trading also seemed more common in my local community. I took a break from collecting for a awhile and sold off a lot of grails. My brother and I started collecting again during COVID with that old mentality and boy was that a mistake. Ran out of room and no one to trade. Been selling most of it at a loss.
Hey, I’m Alan!

Events checked off:

Funko Fundays 2017, FunKon 2021
SDCC 1999, 2017-2019, 2022, 2023
WonderCon 2019
Comic Con Revolution Ontario 2017, 2018, 2023
Los Angeles Comic Con 2016, 2018, 2019

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Thu May 18, 2023 10:19 am

hpellot wrote:
rontonsoup wrote:
hpellot wrote:

Too late! Just about anyone has 1 pop in their collection now LOL!

Boszdrew

Postby Boszdrew » Thu May 18, 2023 6:41 pm

PopPChulo wrote:
Boszdrew wrote:
funkopopfanatic wrote:Agreed. They need to have a shelf life. I think 5 is even too long; I think a year max.

i think they have to get a liscense or approval to make a new mold maybe that's why they took a while to make new ones
Wondercon 2018, 2019

Image Image

Boszdrew

Postby Boszdrew » Thu May 18, 2023 6:42 pm

funkopopfanatic wrote:
PopPChulo wrote:
Boszdrew wrote:

Exactly! I stopped buying commons because they were just so common. They’d probably also have less waste every year if they did this too.

i stop buying common, funko will just make them glow, metallic or add glitter to be exclusive lmao
Wondercon 2018, 2019

Image Image

wolfy233

Postby wolfy233 » Thu May 18, 2023 7:25 pm

funkopopfanatic wrote:
Boszdrew wrote:

Idk. I think more collectors like myself would buy more commons if they knew they had a shelf life and were gonna be vaulted. Now they just sit on the shelves for years. They also had a lot of waste last year because of the overproduction. I miss the short run funko pops tbh.

There was such excitement back then because you didn't know if the run was 500 or 1000, etc. You just bought it knowing it would be your only chance, and if you didn't love it, you could trade for one you missed. It was a simpler time.

Ryko87

Postby Ryko87 » Thu May 18, 2023 8:55 pm

Alanamaslama wrote:
PopPChulo wrote:
Ryko87 wrote:Right, I have so many commons that I was just buying when I first started collecting and don’t want anymore. They need to be vaulted so I can get rid of them lol.

I miss those days. My collection was a revolving door of grails and would-be grails. Trading also seemed more common in my local community. I took a break from collecting for an awhile and sold off a lot of grails. My brother and I started collecting again during COVID with that old mentality and boy was that a mistake. Ran out of room and no one to trade. Been selling most of it at a loss.

Yep, that’s true. I have to be super picky now on pops I really want because I don’t have room or trade.

rontonsoup

Postby rontonsoup » Sat May 20, 2023 1:13 am

rexflexall wrote:
hpellot wrote:
rontonsoup wrote:

You’re definitely not wrong lol

hpellot

Postby hpellot » Sat May 20, 2023 3:05 pm

Ryko87 wrote:
Alanamaslama wrote:
PopPChulo wrote:

I miss those days. My collection was a revolving door of grails and would-be grails. Trading also seemed more common in my local community. I took a break from collecting for an awhile and sold off a lot of grails. My brother and I started collecting again during COVID with that old mentality and boy was that a mistake. Ran out of room and no one to trade. Been selling most of it at a loss.

Yep, that’s true. I have to be super picky now on pops I really want because I don’t have room or trade.

I agree I think most of us have space issues
ImageImageImage

funkopopfanatic

Postby funkopopfanatic » Sat May 20, 2023 11:35 pm

wolfy233 wrote:
funkopopfanatic wrote:
Boszdrew wrote:

There was such excitement back then because you didn't know if the run was 500 or 1000, etc. You just bought it knowing it would be your only chance, and if you didn't love it, you could trade for one you missed. It was a simpler time.

Yep. It was a lot of fun; I miss those days. They definitely need to think about going back shorter runs and more vaulting.

Lord Bacon

Postby Lord Bacon » Sun May 21, 2023 12:27 am

funkopopfanatic wrote:
Boszdrew wrote:

I miss the short runs as well. I remember making toy runs for common Pops on release day, because you never knew how rare they were going to be.
Image Image Image Image Image

Lord Bacon

Postby Lord Bacon » Sun May 21, 2023 12:28 am

hpellot wrote:
Ryko87 wrote:
Alanamaslama wrote:

I agree I think most of us have space issues

Looks at totes full of Pops and action figures and nods. lol

Lord Bacon

Postby Lord Bacon » Sun May 21, 2023 12:33 am

wolfy233 wrote:
funkopopfanatic wrote:
Boszdrew wrote:

I miss those times. You'd line up early before work to try and buy the latest release. After a while, you'd see the same faces over and over again and eventually those strangers would become collecting friends.

chincoteague1

Postby chincoteague1 » Sun May 21, 2023 12:54 am

funkopopfanatic wrote:
wolfy233 wrote:
funkopopfanatic wrote: Idk. I think more collectors like myself would buy more commons if they knew they had a shelf life and were gonna be vaulted. Now they just sit on the shelves for years. They also had a lot of waste last year because of the overproduction. I miss the short run funko pops tbh.

Yep. It was a lot of fun; I miss those days. They definitely need to think about going back shorter runs and more vaulting.

That's why I like going to Cons. They tend to be more limited.

Boszdrew

Postby Boszdrew » Sun May 21, 2023 10:56 pm

Lord Bacon wrote:
funkopopfanatic wrote:
Boszdrew wrote:

I miss the short runs as well. I remember making toy runs for common Pops on release day, because you never knew how rare they were going to be.

wonder if they ever gonna do a short run again
Wondercon 2018, 2019

Image Image

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Mon May 22, 2023 3:38 pm

rontonsoup wrote:
rexflexall wrote:
hpellot wrote:

Even my own Mom has a pop now LOL! And she never liked em before!

wolfy233

Postby wolfy233 » Mon May 22, 2023 3:56 pm

Lord Bacon wrote:
wolfy233 wrote:
funkopopfanatic wrote: Idk. I think more collectors like myself would buy more commons if they knew they had a shelf life and were gonna be vaulted. Now they just sit on the shelves for years. They also had a lot of waste last year because of the overproduction. I miss the short run funko pops tbh.

I miss those times. You'd line up early before work to try and buy the latest release. After a while, you'd see the same faces over and over again and eventually those strangers would become collecting friends.

I have at least two friends that became 'regular' friends, beyond pops, after meeting in line. And it was always an exciting challenge, trying to navigate releases and the work schedule. It was the best of times.

Lord Bacon

Postby Lord Bacon » Mon May 22, 2023 7:15 pm

wolfy233 wrote:
Lord Bacon wrote:
wolfy233 wrote:

I have at least two friends that became 'regular' friends, beyond pops, after meeting in line. And it was always an exciting challenge, trying to navigate releases and the work schedule. It was the best of times.

Best of times indeed. We used to have a group chat with fellow collectors in the area. We'd all coordinate to see who was going to line up for a drop. It came in handy during convention releases.

funkopopfanatic

Postby funkopopfanatic » Wed May 24, 2023 12:43 am

Boszdrew wrote:
Lord Bacon wrote:

I loved release day too! I think they might just because of the negative press they received about the waste but I honestly think bots and resellers are such a problem they won’t.

rontonsoup

Postby rontonsoup » Wed May 24, 2023 12:51 am

rexflexall wrote:
rontonsoup wrote:
rexflexall wrote:

Even my own Mom has a pop now LOL! And she never liked em before!

Now you got her addicted and that one Pop she owns will probably be vaulted.

Boszdrew

Postby Boszdrew » Wed May 24, 2023 11:22 am

funkopopfanatic wrote:
Boszdrew wrote:
Lord Bacon wrote:

I loved release day too! I think they might just because of the negative press they received about the waste but I honestly think bots and resellers are such a problem they won’t.

you 100% right
Wondercon 2018, 2019

Image Image

PopPChulo

Postby PopPChulo » Wed May 24, 2023 11:43 am

Boszdrew wrote:
funkopopfanatic wrote:
Boszdrew wrote:wonder if they ever gonna do a short run again

you 100% right

Short runs was thee way. I mean there’s resellers in every industry lol whether it’s shoes, video games, clothes, collectibles, figures etc etc etc. someone in some capacity is always going to miss out however I do think that keeping things short printed makes them more collectible and it rewards the early adoption - this is kind of why I liked when they used to do pre-release at hot topic as well as first to market because it kinda was a reward for people that are true fans of whatever it may be
PopPChulo

FunkoAlphaBravo

Postby FunkoAlphaBravo » Wed May 24, 2023 11:44 am

Alll of them so all mine go up in value muahahahah
Hi all! We’re Annie and Beto. We have been collecting since 2016
ImageImage
ImageImage

Lord Bacon

Postby Lord Bacon » Wed May 24, 2023 4:05 pm

funkopopfanatic wrote:
Boszdrew wrote:
Lord Bacon wrote:

True. I can see them scaling back on common Pops as well.

lcarus83

Postby lcarus83 » Wed May 24, 2023 7:15 pm

They've never really vaulted 1-6 from the movies line. Jason, Freddy, Michael Myers, Gizmo, Beetlejuice, and Stripe from Gremlins.
Holy Grails: Riddler, Penguin, Two-Face, Hawkman, Martian Manhunter, Logan

PickyFunkos

Postby PickyFunkos » Wed May 24, 2023 7:18 pm

On a similar topic, I was surprised to see the recent run of AoT vaulted.

funkopopfanatic

Postby funkopopfanatic » Thu May 25, 2023 2:19 am

PopPChulo wrote:Short runs was thee way. I mean there’s resellers in every industry lol whether it’s shoes, video games, clothes, collectibles, figures etc etc etc. someone in some capacity is always going to miss out however I do think that keeping things short printed makes them more collectible and it rewards the early adoption - this is kind of why I liked when they used to do pre-release at hot topic as well as first to market because it kinda was a reward for people that are true fans of whatever it may be

Very true. They gotta do something instead of saturating the marking with the same mold 5+ times. I truly believe doing smaller runs and more vaulting will increase demand. Whenever there’s a pop with a small run it’s an instant buy for me. I’ve been cataloguing my collection and reminiscing thinking about how fun collecting was. I’m still disappointed they ever did the shared con exclusives as the runs are so large compared to prior years and all that matters are the stickers now :/

funkopopfanatic

Postby funkopopfanatic » Thu May 25, 2023 2:23 am

Lord Bacon wrote:
funkopopfanatic wrote:
Boszdrew wrote:wonder if they ever gonna do a short run again

True. I can see them scaling back on common Pops as well.

Same. They gotta do something if they had that much waste. I’m very curious to see the releases for the next year

PopPChulo

Postby PopPChulo » Thu May 25, 2023 12:53 pm

funkopopfanatic wrote:
PopPChulo wrote:Short runs was thee way. I mean there’s resellers in every industry lol whether it’s shoes, video games, clothes, collectibles, figures etc etc etc. someone in some capacity is always going to miss out however I do think that keeping things short printed makes them more collectible and it rewards the early adoption - this is kind of why I liked when they used to do pre-release at hot topic as well as first to market because it kinda was a reward for people that are true fans of whatever it may be

Very true. They gotta do something instead of saturating the marking with the same mold 5+ times. I truly believe doing smaller runs and more vaulting will increase demand. Whenever there’s a pop with a small run it’s an instant buy for me. I’ve been cataloguing my collection and reminiscing thinking about how fun collecting was. I’m still disappointed they ever did the shared con exclusives as the runs are so large compared to prior years and all that matters are the stickers now :/

Exactly and for me it really doesn’t even have much to do with resale pursue. I just want to know that the collectibles that I’ve had for years are hard to get and not readily available because in a way, rushing out to go and get it & having it in your collection then it no longer being available is actually almost like a badge of honor. More or less symbolism that your a big fan of whatever you picked up. I understand that everyone may not follow as closely as far as what comes out and when which is why I think a year is more than enough time to allow something to circulate before stopping production.
PopPChulo

Return to “Pop!”