Old Funko Pop smells like Rust

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
rontonsoup

Old Funko Pop smells like Rust

Postby rontonsoup » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:31 am

I just bought a Metallic Alien SDCC off eBay and it smells like rust and the paint is sticky. I confirmed that it was real via Facebook.

Other than that, has anyone ever had this experience?

I was questioning the authenticity because of the smell and texture, but after a thorough debate with people who actually own it, they confirmed it was real.
Collecting since 2014: "A couple that collects together, stays together."

Hgmaddhatter

Re: Old Funko Pop smells like Rust

Postby Hgmaddhatter » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:58 am

Maybe it was stored somewhere without temp control and the fluctuation broke down the paint?? Definitely weird though, because whenever I make customs and remove the paint with acetone or whatever it will get a bit tacky, but I would imagine if some sort of chemical got on it the box would be damaged as well.

I had a different but similar thing happen where I opened my 10" Baby Groot and he had like a weird oil substance on his back and one arm. I took him OOB a few years ago for a few mins when I first bought him but since then he has been on a shelf in box. It almost feels like grease from his bobblehead spring...
Image Image ImageImage

PrincessLeia

Postby PrincessLeia » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:39 am

Would you say it's the painting or the vinyl? If it's the vinyl then the plastic is breaking down, but it's strange. Never heard of that happening to a Pop.
It only happens to certain vinyls that are stored in a way that they can't "breathe" (sealed in a package). When the plastic breaks down, the plasticizer leaches out of the vinyl, it vaporizes but can't escape the package, so it clings to the figure, making it even more sticky.
I'm Alexandra, but call me Alex!
My instagram: @wicked.witchy.things

Toys R Us Kid

Postby Toys R Us Kid » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:50 am

This has happened to me with old Wacky Wobblers. The paint sweats and smells like lead. But this is the first I've heard of it happening to pops. Have you tried to wash it? I've washed older wobblers with a little soap and warm water. Maybe even dab the back of it with a wet paper towel and see if that helps.
Jorge, here! Instagram: toys.r.us.kid
Fundays 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023 | "Making Fun" Hollywood Premier | Funko Hollywood Grand Opening
Fright Night II 2022 | Mask - O - Raid 2022 | FDO9 Sacramento | Funkon I & II

Schl0

Postby Schl0 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:13 am

I’ve had some Spastiks that stayed in their tubes forever begin to “sweat” if vinyl doesn’t get some fresh air every once in a while this will happen.
-Eric-
IG: @artbyschlo

renardchua
Collector Of The Year
Collector Of The Year

Postby renardchua » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:42 am

Had the same experience with these with older Wobblers and Spastiks as well.

I think it’s a normal thing that could happen, if it’s stored in a sealed location.
Hi, I’m Renard. :freddy3:
Instagram: @renardchua

mongoose12

Postby mongoose12 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:48 am

i'd take this as a badge of honor. some would say its the smell of sweet vintage funko glory =D>

CaseyJones14
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY

Postby CaseyJones14 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:28 am

I've had vinyl sweat on Spastiks, Wobblers, and even Dorbz but have not experienced it on a Pop as of yet.
Brett - caseyj0nes14 on Instagram
ISO - Dorbz and McNugget Protos!

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:29 pm

News to me on that one!

BigM
HoF 2019 & CotM
HoF 2019 & CotM

Postby BigM » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:46 pm

Guess we’ll start hearing more of this happening with some pops as the years go by. They’re starting to get “old”.
Mickey :SW7:
IG: Fuzzybunnyshogun
Looking for IRON MAIDEN POP PROTOS
Team Deadpool!
COTM 01/17

Sarcasticguy
Hall of Fame Class of 2023
Hall of Fame Class of 2023

Postby Sarcasticguy » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:48 pm

Toys R Us Kid wrote:This has happened to me with old Wacky Wobblers. The paint sweats and smells like lead. But this is the first I've heard of it happening to pops. Have you tried to wash it? I've washed older wobblers with a little soap and warm water. Maybe even dab the back of it with a wet paper towel and see if that helps.

Came to say this... old vinyls definitely used to sweat. IDK about now or the Pops, but maybe that's what happened? It also could have been a case of someone's house not being clean.
Hi, I'm Scott.
Instagram: @Sarcasticguy89
ISO:
Any Fallout Protos
Aliens Ellen Ripley Rock Candy Proto
Furiosa and Normal Immortan Joe Protos
SDCC '13 Bloody Predator Pop!
Retro Freddy Thor | Retro Freddy Skeletor

Lakers

Postby Lakers » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:52 pm

That is new to me, did not see it so far on my old ones. But will need to keep a eye on it.

Icetenka

Postby Icetenka » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:53 pm

Toys R Us Kid wrote:This has happened to me with old Wacky Wobblers. The paint sweats and smells like lead. But this is the first I've heard of it happening to pops. Have you tried to wash it? I've washed older wobblers with a little soap and warm water. Maybe even dab the back of it with a wet paper towel and see if that helps.

If the POP is sticky, the paper towel didn't stick to the pop? There is a thread in the wobblers section and it seems a little bit of soap and water with a magic eraser helps.
Wants:
Flash POP Proto

lavery01
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby lavery01 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:03 pm

[-( I can’t say that I have, but I probably wouldn’t even know, we keep all of our pops in box. lol
Hi I'm Latricia \:D/

Toys R Us Kid

Postby Toys R Us Kid » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:42 pm

Icetenka wrote:

If the POP is sticky, the paper towel didn't stick to the pop? There is a thread in the wobblers section and it seems a little bit of soap and water with a magic eraser helps.

Oh yes, magic eraser is better. Just be careful because it did start to turn the color of the wobbler I was washing. Which I'm sure is just the residue/sweat washing away. I was gentle and didn't attack it too aggressively just in case it was pulling paint.
Fundays 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023 | "Making Fun" Hollywood Premier | Funko Hollywood Grand Opening

Toys R Us Kid

Postby Toys R Us Kid » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:49 pm

Sarcasticguy wrote:

Came to say this... old vinyls definitely used to sweat. IDK about now or the Pops, but maybe that's what happened? It also could have been a case of someone's house not being clean.

Yeah agreed, this is the first I've heard of it happening to pops. Idk if now that pops are starting to have some years on them, they are beginning to get the sweats too? If most collectors have them in box and haven't taken them out for years, they may not even notice it's happening. And if they have them out of box, is it true airing them out helps prevent the sweats?

Jango_Fresh
HoF 2015 & RotY
HoF 2015 & RotY

Postby Jango_Fresh » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:27 pm

I have had this happen to wobblers and spastiks, can’t say I have seen pops sweat though.
2012 Rookie of the Year

fbingha

Postby fbingha » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:52 pm

Just think, how would Flocked pops react to the sweats?

BRiley0216

Postby BRiley0216 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:16 am

Not sure why but after reading the tittle for this thread I had to check it out

dork_knight
Spirit Award
Spirit Award

Postby dork_knight » Tue May 11, 2021 1:54 am

Toys R Us Kid wrote:
Sarcasticguy wrote:

Yeah agreed, this is the first I've heard of it happening to pops. Idk if now that pops are starting to have some years on them, they are beginning to get the sweats too? If most collectors have them in box and haven't taken them out for years, they may not even notice it's happening. And if they have them out of box, is it true airing them out helps prevent the sweats?

Ewww...I had a wobbler that feels sticky from sweating. I'm wondering if it's because of the paint used or even the vinyl?
Bah Weep Gragnah Weep Nini Bong!
FunKlub Member:2016000002828
Funko Collectibles Count:4000+
Pokémon GO! Pokédex: 794 | Trainer Name: DorkKn1ght

A few fellow Funko Funatics and I started a podcast: http://www.buzzsprout.com/1015576
FB: Dave Metran | IG: @dork_knight46 | TW: @davemetran

Ginzo1622

Postby Ginzo1622 » Tue May 11, 2021 7:11 am

dork_knight wrote:
Toys R Us Kid wrote:
Sarcasticguy wrote:

Ewww...I had a wobbler that feels sticky from sweating. I'm wondering if it's because of the paint used or even the vinyl?

Really? Never had a wobbler.
Fundays 2022 - Proto Robots
Fright Night 2022
Fundays 2023 - Protomoa Wolves

Don't stand in my way!!!

:whdat:

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Tue May 11, 2021 11:09 am

Now I gotta check my 'vintage' pops from 2012 LOL!

Fugly16

Postby Fugly16 » Tue May 11, 2021 1:18 pm

I've personally never experienced this but I do find this thread intriguing with other examples of it. Can you only notice the smell when it is OOB?

Kwik_One

Postby Kwik_One » Thu May 13, 2021 11:29 am

PrincessLeia wrote:Would you say it's the painting or the vinyl? If it's the vinyl then the plastic is breaking down, but it's strange. Never heard of that happening to a Pop.
It only happens to certain vinyls that are stored in a way that they can't "breathe" (sealed in a package). When the plastic breaks down, the plasticizer leaches out of the vinyl, it vaporizes but can't escape the package, so it clings to the figure, making it even more sticky.

This is good to know. I’ll have to start taking some of the older ones out of box for a little while to let them “breathe”. Thanks!!!!

Toys R Us Kid

Postby Toys R Us Kid » Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:53 am

dork_knight wrote:
Toys R Us Kid wrote:
Sarcasticguy wrote:

Yep I think it’s the vinyl they used to use. My Vision wobbler feels like sticky candy haha. But I think you can kinda wash it off. A little scary because I think it pulls the color a bit?

Ginzo1622

Postby Ginzo1622 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:05 am

Toys R Us Kid wrote:
dork_knight wrote:
Toys R Us Kid wrote:

Yep I think it’s the vinyl they used to use. My Vision wobbler feels like sticky candy haha. But I think you can kinda wash it off. A little scary because I think it pulls the color a bit?

Hmmm interesting
Fundays 2022 - Proto Robots
Fright Night 2022
Fundays 2023 - Protomoa Wolves

Don't stand in my way!!!

:whdat:

dork_knight
Spirit Award
Spirit Award

Postby dork_knight » Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:32 pm

Toys R Us Kid wrote:
dork_knight wrote:
Toys R Us Kid wrote:

Yeah. I'm afraid to wipe it cuz i feel like it might pull off paint :/

Have you tried anything before?
Bah Weep Gragnah Weep Nini Bong!
FunKlub Member:2016000002828
Funko Collectibles Count:4000+
Pokémon GO! Pokédex: 794 | Trainer Name: DorkKn1ght

A few fellow Funko Funatics and I started a podcast: http://www.buzzsprout.com/1015576
FB: Dave Metran | IG: @dork_knight46 | TW: @davemetran

renardchua
Collector Of The Year
Collector Of The Year

Postby renardchua » Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:34 pm

dork_knight wrote:
Toys R Us Kid wrote:
dork_knight wrote:

Yeah. I'm afraid to wipe it cuz i feel like it might pull off paint :/

With my old sticky wobblers, I sometimes wipe them with a fine cloth soaked into water, it somehow reduces the "stickiness", but I believe eventually it will come back to be sticky again at some point (based on experience).
Hi, I’m Renard. :freddy3:
Instagram: @renardchua

DrunkoPop

Postby DrunkoPop » Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:38 pm

rontonsoup wrote:I just bought a Metallic Alien SDCC off eBay and it smells like rust and the paint is sticky. I confirmed that it was real via Facebook.

Other than that, has anyone ever had this experience?

I was questioning the authenticity because of the smell and texture, but after a thorough debate with people who actually own it, they confirmed it was real.

My only guess is, how the person kept the Funko pop for the time being.
Image Image
ImageImage

Return to “Pop!”