Patrick Ballesteros Glub Glub

Be they clear, glittery, metallic, distressed, or any other treatment they can come up with, here is your place to talk about Funko's latest hit product
dork_knight
Spirit Award
Spirit Award

Patrick Ballesteros Glub Glub

Postby dork_knight » Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:23 pm

The Average Nerds recently interviewed Patrick Ballesteros and he mentioned that he's done a Hikari before.

I'm hoping to one day add it to my collection. It's an LE88 piece so I know it'll be tough to hunt for.

Was anyone here able to grab one?

If Funko brought back Hikari and did more collabs with artists/illustrators which artists would you want to see do a Hikari?
Bah Weep Gragnah Weep Nini Bong!
FunKlub Member:2016000002828
Funko Collectibles Count:4000+
Pokémon GO! Pokédex: 794 | Trainer Name: DorkKn1ght

A few fellow Funko Funatics and I started a podcast: http://www.buzzsprout.com/1015576
FB: Dave Metran | IG: @dork_knight46 | TW: @davemetran

heymrosario
SCCA 2023
SCCA 2023

Re: Patrick Ballesteros Glub Glub

Postby heymrosario » Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:24 pm

dork_knight wrote:The Average Nerds recently interviewed Patrick Ballesteros and he mentioned that he's done a Hikari before.

I'm hoping to one day add it to my collection. It's an LE88 piece so I know it'll be tough to hunt for.

If Funko brought back Hikari and did more collabs with artists/illustrators which artists would you want to see do a Hikari?

After the interview with Patrick Ballesteros and he mentioned Glub Glub, I felt like many in the chat were already searching where they can buy the Glub Glub... including myself lol

May the odds be in our favor lol \:D/

Hey there, I'm Marc! (•◡•)
Collector since '14 • Photographer • Designer
Follow me on Instagram: @heymrosario

BigM
HoF 2019 & CotM
HoF 2019 & CotM

Postby BigM » Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:16 am

Some of the Mindstyle/Asia hikari were super hard to get. They were some of my favorite designs so I wish they were more available.
Mickey :SW7:
IG: Fuzzybunnyshogun
Looking for IRON MAIDEN POP PROTOS
Team Deadpool!
COTM 01/17

beckysaurus
HoF 2018 & CotM
HoF 2018 & CotM

Postby beckysaurus » Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:08 pm

SDCC, 2015
San Diego funatic

mongoose12

Postby mongoose12 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:13 pm

beckysaurus wrote:SDCC, 2015

salivating right now...such a beautiful piece. =D>

lavery01
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby lavery01 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:23 pm

This is one nice looking Hikari. Thanks for sharing the pic.
Hi I'm Latricia \:D/

beckysaurus
HoF 2018 & CotM
HoF 2018 & CotM

Postby beckysaurus » Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:39 pm

It wasn’t hard to get at the time. Patrick sold about 15 of them himself and doodled for free on the ones he sold. The rest were sold at the Toy Tokyo/Funko pop up held in a separate location a few streets away from the convention center.
San Diego funatic

dork_knight
Spirit Award
Spirit Award

Postby dork_knight » Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:42 pm

heymrosario wrote:
dork_knight wrote:The Average Nerds recently interviewed Patrick Ballesteros and he mentioned that he's done a Hikari before.

After the interview with Patrick Ballesteros and he mentioned Glub Glub, I felt like many in the chat were already searching where they can buy the Glub Glub... including myself lol

May the odds be in our favor lol \:D/

I was on the side with an extra tab looking it up during the interview too lol :-#

A few fellow Funko Funatics and I started a podcast: http://www.buzzsprout.com/1015576

dork_knight
Spirit Award
Spirit Award

Postby dork_knight » Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:44 pm

BigM wrote:Some of the Mindstyle/Asia hikari were super hard to get. They were some of my favorite designs so I wish they were more available.

Those MINDstyle pieces are definitely beauties. I'm hoping Funko will bring back some form of sofubi some day. What do you think of the idea of POP! Sofubi? They'd probably have to be bigger than the 3.75" :P

dork_knight
Spirit Award
Spirit Award

Postby dork_knight » Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:46 pm

It's so beautiful!!!! Thank you for sharing photos!

I was definitely at that con, but during that time of my con journey I was always in line for panels.

I slept on grabbing one lol

dork_knight
Spirit Award
Spirit Award

Postby dork_knight » Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:53 pm

beckysaurus wrote:It wasn’t hard to get at the time. Patrick sold about 15 of them himself and doodled for free on the ones he sold. The rest were sold at the Toy Tokyo/Funko pop up held in a separate location a few streets away from the convention center.

Oh wow! Meow I wonder if anyone on the boards has one with a custom doodle? Would love to see one!

beckysaurus
HoF 2018 & CotM
HoF 2018 & CotM

Postby beckysaurus » Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:38 pm

dork_knight wrote:
beckysaurus wrote:It wasn’t hard to get at the time. Patrick sold about 15 of them himself and doodled for free on the ones he sold. The rest were sold at the Toy Tokyo/Funko pop up held in a separate location a few streets away from the convention center.

Oh wow! Meow I wonder if anyone on the boards has one with a custom doodle? Would love to see one!

You mean anyone other than mine? Not sure. I know of another funatic who has been looking for one for a while. Funko hikari seem to be buried in collections and closets right now. They really don’t surface as often as I would have thought.
San Diego funatic

dork_knight
Spirit Award
Spirit Award

Postby dork_knight » Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:03 pm

beckysaurus wrote:
dork_knight wrote:

You mean anyone other than mine? Not sure. I know of another funatic who has been looking for one for a while. Funko hikari seem to be buried in collections and closets right now. They really don’t surface as often as I would have thought.

Holy cannoli!!!! Sorry, I didn't realize that was a doodle on the back of the box! @___@ I thought that was part of the box design because he incorporated a border and everything. Looking closely at it now, that is RAD!!!

Did you leave it to his choice or did you have him do those in particular? Curious to know what his thought process was like if he shared it with you.

CollectorBadger

Postby CollectorBadger » Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:16 pm

That's a great piece, I don't think I ever realized that Patrick was the designer! Super Cool!

Nick IG: collector.badger

beckysaurus
HoF 2018 & CotM
HoF 2018 & CotM

Postby beckysaurus » Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:33 pm

dork_knight wrote:
beckysaurus wrote:
dork_knight wrote:

Holy cannoli!!!! Sorry, I didn't realize that was a doodle on the back of the box! @___@ I thought that was part of the box design because he incorporated a border and everything. Looking closely at it now, that is RAD!!!

Did you leave it to his choice or did you have him do those in particular? Curious to know what his thought process was like if he shared it with you.

He doodled everything from his own brain. This one was actually was a gift from a friend but I do not believe he made a request of any kind. Not sure if they were pre-doodled, can’t remember that very well.
San Diego funatic

dork_knight
Spirit Award
Spirit Award

Postby dork_knight » Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:23 pm

beckysaurus wrote:
dork_knight wrote:
beckysaurus wrote:You mean anyone other than mine? Not sure. I know of another funatic who has been looking for one for a while. Funko hikari seem to be buried in collections and closets right now. They really don’t surface as often as I would have thought.

He doodled everything from his own brain. This one was actually was a gift from a friend but I do not believe he made a request of any kind. Not sure if they were pre-doodled, can’t remember that very well.

Such an awesome gift! If you ever connect with your friend again and bring this up, please see if they were able to pick Patrick's brain a bit regarding the doodle.

I could totally see that Patrick might've pre-doodled these since he's always busy during cons.

Actually...if you don't mind...would it be ok if I shared this image with Patrick and see if he might have some insight? I can report back if he replies :P

BigM
HoF 2019 & CotM
HoF 2019 & CotM

Postby BigM » Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:33 pm

dork_knight wrote:
BigM wrote:Some of the Mindstyle/Asia hikari were super hard to get. They were some of my favorite designs so I wish they were more available.

Those MINDstyle pieces are definitely beauties. I'm hoping Funko will bring back some form of sofubi some day. What do you think of the idea of POP! Sofubi? They'd probably have to be bigger than the 3.75" :P

You may have already seen them but they did some hikari xs for a small time period. They’re not really the same quality as the regular sized ones.

I can see them maybe coming back but not likely. Funko doesn’t seem to bring back retired lines.

Mickey :SW7:
IG: Fuzzybunnyshogun
Looking for IRON MAIDEN POP PROTOS
Team Deadpool!
COTM 01/17

Tusken

Postby Tusken » Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:04 pm

It's so beautiful! Now this is a unique and amazing looking piece of Hikari. Thank you for this great share. :freddy3:
Hi I'm Tusken.
Top Fan Badge of Funko, Funko Europe, Funko (Hollywood), Funko Games, Funko Blitz
Funko Winner of Danger Mouse 2021 - Twitter
Image Image Image Image

dork_knight
Spirit Award
Spirit Award

Postby dork_knight » Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:22 pm

BigM wrote:
dork_knight wrote:

You may have already seen them but they did some hikari xs for a small time period. They’re not really the same quality as the regular sized ones.

I can see them maybe coming back but not likely. Funko doesn’t seem to bring back retired lines.

Oh yeah! I do have one of a Freddy Funko and Chopper from Star Wars Rebels. Those were pretty cool.

You're probably right about them not bringing them back T-T Kinda like how Brian recently answered someone's Q&A and said that Dorbz aren't likely to come back any time soon T-T

It's kinda like my hopes that VYNL would come back too. All of these are underrated product lines too

jagpop

Postby jagpop » Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:12 pm

Really cool looking Hikari.

I am not in danger, I am the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!

Lexi

Postby Lexi » Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:51 pm

That is awesome. Great piece.
FUNKO FUNDAYS 2015, 2016, 2022
FDO LA 6
World Premiere Making Fun

Funko Hollywood Grand Opening
FUNKON 2021

jcrook

Postby jcrook » Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:55 pm

That is amazing, lucky you =D>
Funko Fundays 2017
FunKon 2021
SDCC 2017, 2018, 2022

I go by Crook

heymrosario
SCCA 2023
SCCA 2023

Postby heymrosario » Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:19 pm

this is beautiful!!

Hey there, I'm Marc! (•◡•)
Collector since '14 • Photographer • Designer
Follow me on Instagram: @heymrosario

Sarcasticguy
Hall of Fame Class of 2023

Postby Sarcasticguy » Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:44 pm

I recently was able to get one of these from an amazing funatic. Definitely a grail Hikari!

Hi, I'm Scott.
Instagram: @Sarcasticguy89
ISO:
Any Fallout Protos
Aliens Ellen Ripley Rock Candy Proto
Furiosa and Normal Immortan Joe Protos
SDCC '13 Bloody Predator Pop!
Retro Freddy Thor | Retro Freddy Skeletor

Imagery
Hall of Fame Class of 2022
Hall of Fame Class of 2022

Postby Imagery » Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:15 pm

I had no idea! I'm definitely a fan of Patrick's work and that Hikari is awesome! GL on the hunt
Funklub member 2016000004714 a.k.a. Sarah
ISO: Ursula, 1/24 Freddy Mad Hatter; NBC Zero Mopeez; Despicable Me 3 Target exclusive PSHs; Freddy Flux Winky and Smiley; HT & Walmart exclusive Disney Villains MMs
Funko events attended: 2016 Fright Night; 2017 & 2018 FDO — Canada; Funkon 2021; Fundays Teams 2017 — Justice League, 2018 — Goonies, 2019 — Loko Moko, 2021 — Proto Punks, 2022 — Pop Protectors

Tusken

Postby Tusken » Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:08 pm

Sarcasticguy wrote:I recently was able to get one of these from an amazing funatic. Definitely a grail Hikari!

Now that is one amazing looking Hikari!! I love the color scheme and the look it's giving. :freddy3:
Hi I'm Tusken.
Top Fan Badge of Funko, Funko Europe, Funko (Hollywood), Funko Games, Funko Blitz
Funko Winner of Danger Mouse 2021 - Twitter
Image Image Image Image

Spiffythedog

Postby Spiffythedog » Sun May 22, 2022 7:28 am

Wow, I had no idea he did a Hikari, now I want it haha. I love his art prints, always come home from SDCC with a fresh set.
You can call me Spiff ;)
I collect Star Wars, mini things, cute things, and FRIENDS!

FerrisGuy3

Postby FerrisGuy3 » Sun May 22, 2022 7:50 am

Spiffythedog wrote:Wow, I had no idea he did a Hikari, now I want it haha. I love his art prints, always come home from SDCC with a fresh set.

Same here. He’s one of my favorite artists to buys prints from. Would be a great way to bring back some Hikari
Hi, I’m Tom. Michigan Based Funatic collecting since 2014

jagpop

Postby jagpop » Mon May 23, 2022 4:36 pm

FerrisGuy3 wrote:
Spiffythedog wrote:Wow, I had no idea he did a Hikari, now I want it haha. I love his art prints, always come home from SDCC with a fresh set.

Same here. He’s one of my favorite artists to buys prints from. Would be a great way to bring back some Hikari

How would we even go about finding this Hikari? Ebay has been dry for a while.

I am not in danger, I am the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!

mohawkjones

Postby mohawkjones » Sat May 28, 2022 9:29 pm

jagpop wrote:
FerrisGuy3 wrote:

How would we even go about finding this Hikari? Ebay has been dry for a while.

Man, the Glub Glub has always been super elusive. I kicked myself for not buying one at the SDCC Mindstyle Hikari pop-up shop. I've seen very few pop up on eBay over the years and always at a price that was more than I was willing to spend.
Hi, I am Shawn. Iron Man junkie, Soda-holic and Hikari addict. Funklub member #14300/01057

Spiffythedog

Postby Spiffythedog » Mon May 30, 2022 8:25 am

mohawkjones wrote:Man, the Glub Glub has always been super elusive. I kicked myself for not buying one at the SDCC Mindstyle Hikari pop-up shop. I've seen very few pop up on eBay over the years and always at a price that was more than I was willing to spend.

Guess that means a least it’s likely being held by some true fans/collectors. Always disappointing by when the people who actually want them have to fight with people just trying to make a buck.
You can call me Spiff ;)
I collect Star Wars, mini things, cute things, and FRIENDS!

TheStephil

Postby TheStephil » Mon May 30, 2022 9:31 am

Wow that’s really cool
Hi, I’m Steph.

yupyeahuhhuh

Postby yupyeahuhhuh » Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:02 pm

Sarcasticguy wrote:I recently was able to get one of these from an amazing funatic. Definitely a grail Hikari!

Beautiful! Super jealous!

nikko
HoF 2019 & CotM
HoF 2019 & CotM

Postby nikko » Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:01 pm

I missed this. This was sold at the Mindstyle/Pop Asia SDCC Pop Up shop before.

dork_knight
Spirit Award
Spirit Award

Postby dork_knight » Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:11 pm

[quote="beckysaurus"][quote="dork_knight"][quote="beckysaurus"]
You mean anyone other than mine? Not sure. I know of another funatic who has been looking for one for a while. Funko hikari seem to be buried in collections and closets right now. They really don’t surface as often as I would have thought.[/quote]

Did you leave it to his choice or did you have him do those in particular? Curious to know what his thought process was like if he shared it with you.[/quote]

He doodled everything from his own brain. This one was actually was a gift from a friend but I do not believe he made a request of any kind. Not sure if they were pre-doodled, can’t remember that very well.[/quote]

An update: My buddy bb206 surprised me with a Glub Glub as a gift this past Funkon II trip!!! T-T
So happy to finally add this piece to my collection! I will definitely need to do a photoshoot at some point and perhaps have Patrick sign it during a con :)

Sarcasticguy

Postby Sarcasticguy » Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:27 pm

It's such a great piece congrats! Welcome to the Glub Glub Club!
Hi, I'm Scott.
Instagram: @Sarcasticguy89
ISO:
Any Fallout Protos
Aliens Ellen Ripley Rock Candy Proto
Furiosa and Normal Immortan Joe Protos
SDCC '13 Bloody Predator Pop!
Retro Freddy Thor | Retro Freddy Skeletor

dcooperfl

Postby dcooperfl » Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:30 pm

[Spoiler][quote="Sarcasticguy"]I recently was able to get one of these from an amazing funatic. Definitely a grail Hikari!

[img]https://i.imgur.com/qNSAaDX.jpg[/img][/quote][/Spoiler]

That is a pretty cool design. I do not like all Hikari, but when done well they are very nice.
Damien | Austin, TX | @dcooperfl

dork_knight
Spirit Award
Spirit Award

Postby dork_knight » Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:33 pm

[quote="Sarcasticguy"]It's such a great piece congrats! Welcome to the Glub Glub Club![/quote]

So happy to join the Glub Glub Club :) Thank you, Scoot!!!

willy wonka
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby willy wonka » Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:39 pm

Congrats on obtaining one!
Just call me Joe...

ImageImage
ISO: Freddy Mad Hatter LE 1/24, Mad Hatter Protos,
SDCC 4 Pack Dorbz(Found thanks to another Funatic)

Davunko

Postby Davunko » Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:17 pm

had no idea Patrick made these, his lines at SDCC are always capped!

Return to “Hikari”