New Hikari Funko Vinyl ~ What's Caught Your Eye?

Be they clear, glittery, metallic, distressed, or any other treatment they can come up with, here is your place to talk about Funko's latest hit product
grandpa_stern

Re: New Hikari Funko Vinyl ~ Brian Posted Page 6

Postby grandpa_stern » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:49 pm

Not sure if anyone's interested but here are some pics of the two Hikaris I picked up at SDCC. There's a more translucent shot of Ice Batman and some good shots of the neat coffin packaging of the Jumping Ghost hikari. The Jumping Ghost Hikari didn't come with a "Limited Edition" sticker on the box or a numbered card like the others, just FYI.

Jumping Hikari in box

http://i.imgur.com/Urk2Kbw.jpg

Jumping Hikari lid off

http://i.imgur.com/bfTchTq.jpg

Back of jumping Hikari

http://i.imgur.com/UcyQPaN.jpg

And Ice Batman

http://i.imgur.com/lW4tnWR.jpg
I'm Josh

profb

Postby profb » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:57 pm

Really want a nvs batman anyone have any good leads on 1 for a reasonable price?

grandpa_stern

Postby grandpa_stern » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:37 pm

Just got my gold Batman and TMNT. They look a lot better than I expected!
I'm Josh

saintofspinners

Postby saintofspinners » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:03 pm

Hi,

I just joined this forum in a desperate search for info on those walking ghost Hikaris. The Jiangshi's. There are about 5 colorways I want. Plus the 'monk' style.

As I am new to Funko can anyone tell me where and when these might be distributed. Where I can buy them from? If the colors like clear gold were SDCC only?

Thank you.

dakook

Postby dakook » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:12 pm

saintofspinners wrote:Hi,

I just joined this forum in a desperate search for info on those walking ghost Hikaris. The Jiangshi's. There are about 5 colorways I want. Plus the 'monk' style.

As I am new to Funko can anyone tell me where and when these might be distributed. Where I can buy them from? If the colors like clear gold were SDCC only?

Thank you.

They are gonna release a new hikari every friday. You can pre order them from http://www.entertainmentearth.com/hitli ... p=&x=0&y=0 You have to pre order them quick because they sell out very quick. You can also order them on amazon or ebay.
ImageImage
Baxter

saintofspinners

Postby saintofspinners » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:16 pm

You rock!

Scotty
Rookie Of The year
Rookie Of The year

Postby Scotty » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:17 pm

Question re availability of Hikari: there have been and will be retail sales of the Hikari line, not all will be limited runs and exclusives. The first ones that hit the retail market were sold in very limited numbers to retailers by Funko, like 5 per retailer with a couple/few exceptions. As the line grows and proves to be a seller, I believe the availability with grow as well. Of course, I know Brian was very excited about the ability to have lots of colorways for these, so there will probably be quite a variety, which could also produce a bunch of limited editions, as well.

Saintofspinners: not sure when the Hikari in MindStyle's case will be available. At the con, for sale, there was only the Mystic Power Jianshi--dark guy in the coffin-box. Then at Fundays we saw the Freddy Creature, the Jianshi Freddy in the coffin-box (so cool), and the 1/5 clearish Hakari retro Freddy. Were there others?
Last edited by Scotty on Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
2013 Rookie of the Year - COTM May 2014

ShoMeNodder
HoF 2007 & CotD
HoF 2007 & CotD

Postby ShoMeNodder » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:25 pm

And some of those are 1 of 5s, so chances are slim of ever getting them.
My name is Carol, also respond to "Sho"

COTY 2009, 2010, 2012, COTD 2013

funkystark
Hall of Fame Class of 2011
Hall of Fame Class of 2011

Postby funkystark » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:29 pm

First of all, I'm insanely Jealous of that gold Freddy, congrats Nikko!

Second I wasn't entirely sold, borderline not even a fan of Hikari.. now that I've seen them in person, I'm trying to make space for my new hikari display!! Amazing pieces and so many cool lines coming in the future.

Kitzka
HoF 2017 & CotM
HoF 2017 & CotM

Postby Kitzka » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:40 pm

nikko wrote:Hikari 1/5 Gold Freddy!
So lucky to get this last night!

that Freddy is incredible! thank you so much for sharing pics of him! he is going to be a wonderful addition to your funko collection.

Lara

Looking for Care Bear Protos

lovetheangels
Hall of Fame Class of 2010
Hall of Fame Class of 2010

Postby lovetheangels » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:41 pm

I got the ice batman and rain batman. Not exactly sure how this whole line is going to do? I stopped by the funko booth usually later in the day and the Hikari were still available with almost everything else out for the day. Some of these limited edition 500 cost 50 and the aftermarket sale aren't much more than 50. Usually that is a pretty good indicator or how well a toy will sell and the demand. If a 500 and 300 run doesn't sell out at comic con there may not be that much of a demand. I think the 50 dollar price point hurts this line. In my opinion most people will still settle for the 8 to 10 dollar pop.
Ken here

grandpa_stern

Postby grandpa_stern » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:45 pm

saintofspinners wrote:Hi,

Thank you.

There's a picture of the SDCC Sheriff in a link I posted above. He's not clear. Very metallic with many bright colors.
I'm Josh

Pumpkin King

Postby Pumpkin King » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:48 pm

Thing is Ken, most people who collect Funko , collect Pops. And they are use to a $10-15 toy. It is something new to the average Pop collector and the designer toy audience hasnt quite found out about this line yet. But with Mindstyle showing them off at con, I think they will. Pops didnt sell in record numbers at first either, took about a year.

You are paying for a limited hand crafted better quality vinyl. With that comes the price range which is on point with most average vinyls.
COTM October 2010

The Crusher of Dreams

Squird
Hall of Fame Class of 2012

Postby Squird » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:53 pm

That clear Freddy is amazing! Never saw it but now I want it :).

Hikari are amazing in person. I think that once they get out into world, especially the designer toy crowd that sales won't be an issue.
Funklub: 11181

Pumpkin King

Postby Pumpkin King » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:04 pm

Squird wrote:That clear Freddy is amazing! Never saw it but now I want it :).

Hikari are amazing in person. I think that once they get out into world, especially the designer toy crowd that sales won't be an issue.

Church!

Sorry, heard that once on Breaking Bad and always wanted to use it. :D
COTM October 2010

The Crusher of Dreams

Scotty
Rookie Of The year
Rookie Of The year

Postby Scotty » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:29 pm

Completely get it when someone's mind is changed after they see these puppies in person. They look cool in the pics, but like something completely different in person. I wasn't even a fan of the batman sculpt when I saw them in person at Toy Fair, but couldn't resist buying the Ice and Red Rain Batman Hikari when I saw them up close.

Becuase of the pricepoint, I'll just buy a couple/few of each figure I like and be content. Now just to figure how I come up with more display room. #-o
Image Image
2013 Rookie of the Year - COTM May 2014

Pumpkin King

Postby Pumpkin King » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:36 pm

Right Scotty....a few... Ha!
COTM October 2010

The Crusher of Dreams

PopCollector
HoF 2018 & CotM
HoF 2018 & CotM

Postby PopCollector » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:22 pm

These Hikaris really looks good in person. Saw these at B&N! Now seeing them in person makes me want to add these to my collection. Love the different colorways which means not a good thing for completists.
I'm Lewis - "...from Collectors, to Friends, to Family"

ImageImageImage Image ImageImage

grandpa_stern

Postby grandpa_stern » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:24 pm

Yeah, the colors, man. The colors! I had to make myself swear to only get the ones I want and not ALL of them.Luckily, the tie died hippy looking Batman Hikaris did not appeal to me.
I'm Josh

Squird

Postby Squird » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:58 pm

Gotta watch out on the colorways. I have some vinyl toys in multiple colors. Looks great. Gets expensive.
Funklub: 11181

nikko
HoF 2019 & CotM
HoF 2019 & CotM

Postby nikko » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:24 pm

Scotty wrote:Question re availability of Hikari: there have been and will be retail sales of the Hikari line, not all will be limited runs and exclusives. The first ones that hit the retail market were sold in very limited numbers to retailers by Funko, like 5 per retailer with a couple/few exceptions. As the line grows and proves to be a seller, I believe the availability with grow as well. Of course, I know Brian was very excited about the ability to have lots of colorways for these, so there will probably be quite a variety, which could also produce a bunch of limited editions, as well.

Saintofspinners: not sure when the Hikari in MindStyle's case will be available. At the con, for sale, there was only the Mystic Power Jianshi--dark guy in the coffin-box. Then at Fundays we saw the Freddy Creature, the Jianshi Freddy in the coffin-box (so cool), and the 1/5 clearish Hakari retro Freddy. Were there others?

The Freddy Creature is 1/24 not 1/5.

The Gold Clear Freddy Hikari and the Blue one are both 1/5

rumblethejungle

Postby rumblethejungle » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:24 am

Anyone have a picture of the blue freddy? Have to know which one I need to hunt down first :D
Jesse

nikko
HoF 2019 & CotM
HoF 2019 & CotM

Postby nikko » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:28 am

I had the chance to get the Blue Freddy, but I decided to get the Gold one

CP3x

Postby CP3x » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:57 am

Definitely want to snag a tiedye hikari leo. They look awesome in person. Also congrats on that 1/5 gold Freddy. Was there at Fundays. Super jealous!
Zach/CP3x. You Like Pops!? I love Pops!

profb

Postby profb » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:56 am

Bah how did I miss the red rain batman? Where did he drop at?

wardengorri

Postby wardengorri » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:23 am

rumblethejungle wrote:Anyone have a picture of the blue freddy? Have to know which one I need to hunt down first :D

i think it's this one from instagram during fundays. 15149
Hey guys, i'm Drew!

Sjhova1

Postby Sjhova1 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:48 am

Nikko, that hiakri freddy is amazing!!! congrats

Poncho Pete
HoF 2014 & CotY
HoF 2014 & CotY

Postby Poncho Pete » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:49 am

First look I've had of that blue. Amazing.
Got Pixie Dust?

BigM
HoF 2019 & CotM
HoF 2019 & CotM

Postby BigM » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:38 am

Does anyone have details/pics of the mindstyle ones?
Mickey :SW7:
IG: Fuzzybunnyshogun
Looking for IRON MAIDEN POP PROTOS
Team Deadpool!
COTM 01/17

grandpa_stern

Postby grandpa_stern » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:25 pm

Which ones do you mean? There's pics earlier of in the thread of the ones at the Mindstyle booth. Not sure how they are separating them any more. What I can say is that they have these versions with some kind of weird strings of plastic in them that look like organs and skeletal systems from a few feet away. DO WANT!
I'm Josh

NightmareMermaid
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby NightmareMermaid » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:52 pm

I'm really looking forward to seeing what Funko does with Disney Hikari. Based on what's been done so far, I think Marshmallow would look really good in this style.
Marie
❄❄❄ Need 30th anniversary mermaid Ariel, RBtI Ariel Rock Candy, and The Oregon Duck protos ❄❄❄
#PartOfYourWorld

Pumpkin King

Postby Pumpkin King » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:51 pm

Interesting how much hate this line is getting from the art toy world. Been reading how people think the paint mixture and colorways are bad. And, the big sticking point, how a Japanese inspired line is being mass produced in China. Although most of the line is not what I would call mass produced. Maybe the ones that are around 3000 pieces. I think people are just angry that a company as big as Funko are now making sofubi vinyls.
COTM October 2010

The Crusher of Dreams

grandpa_stern

Postby grandpa_stern » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:31 pm

Pumpkin King wrote:Interesting how much hate this line is getting from the art toy world. Been reading how people think the paint mixture and colorways are bad. And, the big sticking point, how a Japanese inspired line is being mass produced in China. Although most of the line is not what I would call mass produced. Maybe the ones that are around 3000 pieces. I think people are just angry that a company as big as Funko are now making sofubi vinyls.

Yeah, there has been a ton of hate for these since day 1. Whatevs. I bought the ones I liked. I think some of the paint schemes are brilliant. I'll put money down that eventually they are going to make a character that everyone wants and then people will be coming out of the woodwork trying to get the others because they overlooked them. To each their own, I guess.
I'm Josh

saintofspinners

Postby saintofspinners » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:35 pm

Most Japanese "art" toys are in runs of 5-30 average. 1000+ is mass produced in comparison. You are also talking hand sprays on the art toys vs assembly line spray for these.

There will always be hate.

To those that want this toy, like myself, enjoy for ones own pleasure and let others enjoy what they will.

That being said...argh! Where can I find my Jiangshi's?!?

Pumpkin King

Postby Pumpkin King » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:12 pm

I think the biggest thing is these being mass produced. Sofubi art is normally made in very small quantities by teams of 1-5 people. Sometimes two guys sit in a 10 x 10 room working on each piece to create this kind of art and it takes them days if not weeks to produce. The idea of them being not made in Japan, but also on a much larger scale, is probably the sticking point for a lot of sofubi collectors. It's that the original tradition and process of making Japanese Sofubi art is now being done in a very opposite manner.

I am not bashing on the Hikari line myself btw. I personally love being able to buy quality sofubi for 40-50 bucks. But it's interesting to share feedback and ideas.
COTM October 2010

The Crusher of Dreams

grandpa_stern

Postby grandpa_stern » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:50 pm

Discussion is great. I love these discussions. I love learning about these brightly colored pieces of plastic and their history. It's funny, though. The more I collect, the more it seems like it's not really about the toys. People get so hung up on run numbers and process, etc. If you don't like it and you don't want it, don't buy it - at least that's my personal motto. Some of the Hikaris are 500 run and people scoff and say its not rare enough. Compared to what? What does that even have to do with it? Same with Pops!. People talk about the 1000 runs being rare and man they get shouted down. I understand informing someone that, no, actually, 1/5 is rare and 1/1000 is not. But the vehemence behind it is crazy. (None of this was directed at Chris by the way, just making conversation).

These Hikaris actually got me looking at "real" Hikaris, so I say they aren't the devil. Collect and let live.

As for the Sheriff Hikari, I'm guessing Mindstyle will be selling whatever leftovers they had at SDCC at NYC. So maybe start begging a boardie to get one for you! [-o<
I'm Josh

Pumpkin King

Postby Pumpkin King » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:58 pm

I agree. I think this will be a window for collectors who knew nothing about the culture to further explore the art and process of making sofubi style art toys.

This was just a part of a discussion I had today with a couple of independent sofubi artists and Brian Flynn of Super 7. Very interesting discussion though.
COTM October 2010

The Crusher of Dreams

grandpa_stern

Postby grandpa_stern » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:09 pm

Dang, would have loved to have been a fly on the wall for that conversation!
I'm Josh

Pumpkin King

Postby Pumpkin King » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:39 pm

Not to worry, just gave you most of the highlights. Ha
COTM October 2010

The Crusher of Dreams

saintofspinners

Postby saintofspinners » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:24 pm

I think you two are on SB as well.

I wish Funko did a calendar of drop dates. I've got an itch and the only cure is some gold fade Jiangshi.

Return to “Hikari”