Please Note: New User Registrations and username/email address changes will be on hold from May 29th, 2024 through June 3rd, 2024

Is HIKARIS a good investment?

Be they clear, glittery, metallic, distressed, or any other treatment they can come up with, here is your place to talk about Funko's latest hit product
Da_POPVADER

Is HIKARIS a good investment?

Postby Da_POPVADER » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:52 am

Hi,

Q1: What is the history of HIKARI figures?

Q2: I am an extensive POP collector but I am currently exploring the HIKARI line. Is it worth it to start because it is preety pricey. Also will this be a good investment as I am not sure if it will go down in price(clearance rack). Then I would be very disappointed.

Thanks for the advice.
This is "Kollektor Kim"
IG @stealthaction_funkollektor
FUNKO SOUTH
Fun Completed:
Fugitive Toys Dinner 2015, FDO6LA 2015, SDCC 2015/2016 Funko Booth, Funko Fundays 13-2015/14-2016, Fright Night 1

swind15

Re: Is HIKARIS a good investment?

Postby swind15 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:59 am

Buy it if you like it. Pass if you don't.

No collectible should ever be counted on as an investment, because the bubble can pop at any moment. ;)
Pop!: Lost count
Mystery mini: Lost count
Soda: 146
Dorbz: 140
Pop Pez: 31
Hikari: 21
Vynl: 22
Retro Freddy Funko: 4
Action Figures: 2
Wacky Wobbler: 2
Reaction: 2
Fabrications: 1

Original Fun Klub member# 14057

CanDMan47

Postby CanDMan47 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:15 am

NO!

But don't take my word for it. I'm just anti-Hiakri, on a purely personal level. I'm in the minority around here on this subject :argue: :boxing: , but I'm turned off by them, from the looks, not anything else.

Swind15 has the best most accurate answer to the investment question.
My name is John, but I go by Candy or Candyman, too.

Da_POPVADER

Postby Da_POPVADER » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:07 am

What's wrong with the looks?
This is "Kollektor Kim"
IG @stealthaction_funkollektor
FUNKO SOUTH
Fun Completed:
Fugitive Toys Dinner 2015, FDO6LA 2015, SDCC 2015/2016 Funko Booth, Funko Fundays 13-2015/14-2016, Fright Night 1

jandkstuff

Postby jandkstuff » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:20 am

Not even the stock market is a guaranteed investment. So, buy them if you enjoy them but definitely pass if you have any hesitation.

And, for the record, I LOVE Hikari's and think they look AMAZING! :-)
Last edited by jandkstuff on Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hi, I'm Karyn! Nice to meet you. :-)

Topshelf19k
HoF 2018 & CotM
HoF 2018 & CotM

Postby Topshelf19k » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:54 am

Put your money in a bank if your so concerned about investing. Toys won't put your kids through college

glowfunkofreak
HoF 2007 & Spirit
HoF 2007 & Spirit
Location: the other side of the rainbow .. where everything GLOWS !!

Postby glowfunkofreak » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:26 am

A1: www.google.com

A2: Stuff all your money in your mattress and pray no one finds it, best guaranteed investment you can do.

lol
Once a FUNATIC a FUNATIC for LIFE

It's ALL about the FUN
WEBSITE - http://justanotherfunkoobserver.com/

CP3x

Postby CP3x » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:40 am

It's a great investment if you like collecting them yourself. If you're trying to look for an eventual return on them I wouldn't do it.
Zach/CP3x. You Like Pops!? I love Pops!

CanDMan47

Postby CanDMan47 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:09 am

Da_POPVADER wrote:What's wrong with the looks?

If I could put my finger on it, (the reason, not the ugly toy), I'd tell you. It just struck me as something I didn't want on my shelves from the instant I saw a picture. And I've seen a couple in the wild, and that didn't make it much better. I will say, in all honesty, I am softening up a little bit on them. They've had one TMNT sitting on the B&N display by itself, probably because he's too ugly to get a date, :roflmao: , for $40. If he ends up on the clearance table when they get their holiday stuff out, which I've been told was soon, I might buy him for my "at least one of every Funko product made" goal.
My name is John, but I go by Candy or Candyman, too.

MadLove
HoF 2019 & CotM
HoF 2019 & CotM

Postby MadLove » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:53 am

If you like it get it, if you don't like it, don't.
There is no guarantee on collectables as an "investment" especially when it comes to POP culture. It's only a matter of time before the next shiny thing comes along and the bubble bursts (:coughbeaniebabieshack:) Sure everyone loves Funko right now but when the saturation hits people will notice as they'll try to sell their "investment." But if everyone is selling there's no one buying and there goes any perceived value.
Get what you like. If you're able to sell it for a bunch in the future when you like it less, great. But there's no guarantee so never count on that.
They/Them
ISO PROTOS: Labyrinth Jareth w/ riding crop, Harley Bombshell Rock Candy and David from The Lost Boys Mystery Mini.

cliffd64
Hall of Fame Class of 2006

Postby cliffd64 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:55 am

If you ever buy such toys purely for an investment, you have already made a big mistake.

In the short term, given a huge amount of time invested, and patience and diligence, you might be able to make a few bucks by trying to flip limited edition pieces. But your returns right now would not be worthy of the time and effort it would take to do it.

There is no guarantee that in 5 years anyone will care about any of these Hikari figures, regardless of their "rarity" or "limited" sized edition, or "Premium" sizes. They may not be so collectible beyond being a curiosity a few years down the road. It all depends on whether the products develop a good following and there is no way to predict that.

Eventually you have to decide if you are a collector or an investor. A collector will acquire things they like and keep them. An investor will buy lots of everything and hope they are sitting on gold someday in the future.
Image ImageImage Image Image Image Image

mrcory5000

Postby mrcory5000 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:46 am

When Wacky Wobblers were at their peak they were worth really good money.

Pop!'s have a low price point with cute characters and have been peaking for a while. Seems like a lot of people buy all the stickered exclusives from Hot Topic, Target & Fugitive Toys and sell them almost immediately for a quick profit- thank me later!

Hikari hasn't been around long enough to reach a peak. In 16-months we'll know according to completed ebay auctions.
WE ARE FUNKO!

Alleycat
HoF 2008 & CotY
HoF 2008 & CotY

Postby Alleycat » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:53 am

Investments should include setting aside money every pay check in a Roth IRA. Put in the maximum allowable by law or what you can afford. Not saving is just plain stupid (even just a few $$$) and is the best way to plan for failure. Look into mutual funds from a reputable company (I favor Vanguard). Diversify according to your age. Include an account for college funds if you have children.

Be cautious of financial advisors. Many of them just want your business so they can collect commissions so that THEY can get rich off of you. Be very wary. I've been sweet talked by a few "brokers / advisors" and have lost money, but gained smarts. Advice is one thing, but investing in funds that the advisor represents can be very risky. Deal with known firms (Vanguard and several others).

Then, if you can afford another $50 or (??) per paycheck, invest in another non-IRA mutual fund. Keep at least 6 months worth of living expenses in an account. Forget CDs for now. Have only one credit card and pay off the balance every month - with a few exceptions.

After that, and after paying bills for food, rent/mortgage, health insurance..... spend on toys!!!!!

I'm with you on deciding what to do about collecting Hikaris. My love for Funko is still Wacky Wobblers and their protos. I buy Pop! only if I really like the characters. I have started collecting Hikari on what I like - Freddy for sure. I like that Frankenstein I've seen. Transformers and TMNTs I'm staying away from - too many characters and too many variations of each character. And I don't really need 50 color variations of Batman. Besides - I just don't have room for them. AND they are way too expensive for me to buy then put in storage!

Buying any line of Funko should NOT be thought of as an investment. History has proven that. Although some items are being sold for outrageous prices on eBay and Facebook, it is highly doubtful they will hold their value. It only takes a handful of collectors who have the disposable income to raise the current value of some desirable items. But down the road, it's questionable if the market would meet or exceed their initial investment on those items.

As has been said by some very wise Funatics - buy what you like, buy what you can afford. Consider it play money.

But first, do your research then invest in proven investments.

Just thought I'd put this out there.

Now let's have fun and play with our toys!!!!!

Craig here......

MaxGoof

Postby MaxGoof » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:07 am

It's really, really tough to forecast right now if Funko Hikari are going to be "valuable" in the future since they've only started to hit stores in the past four months. The ones with ridiculous edition sizes like LE 3000 are probably never going to be "worth" more than their retail prices, but I'd be surprised if gorgeous limited pieces like Sunrise Batman didn't increase in price at least a little.

I wouldn't "invest" in Hikari, but they're certainly beautiful figures that I love spending my money on right now.

0xTurtle
Collector Of The Year
Collector Of The Year

Postby 0xTurtle » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:18 am

Alleycat wrote:Investments should include setting aside money every pay check in a Roth IRA. Put in the maximum allowable by law or what you can afford. Not saving is just plain stupid (even just a few $$$) and is the best way to plan for failure. Look into mutual funds from a reputable company (I favor Vanguard). Diversify according to your age. Include an account for college funds if you have children.

Now let's have fun and play with our toys!!!!!

=D> YES, summed it up better than I... back to the fun!

Also, not a huge Hikari-fan myself but if you like, BUY it :D
Hiya, everyone calls me, well, Turtle.
ISO: DEK Chet | Elizabeth (Bioshock Infinite) Pop proto

glowfunkofreak
HoF 2007 & Spirit
HoF 2007 & Spirit
Location: the other side of the rainbow .. where everything GLOWS !!

Postby glowfunkofreak » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:27 am

Mattress Futures
Once a FUNATIC a FUNATIC for LIFE

It's ALL about the FUN
WEBSITE - http://justanotherfunkoobserver.com/

sh3l8y

Postby sh3l8y » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:35 am

Just collect what you like, don't collect for financial gain
All of these toys have the potential to increase value but one day they'll pull a Beanie Babies and crash

edorice
Hall of Fame Class of 2015
Hall of Fame Class of 2015

Postby edorice » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:46 am

Alleycat wrote:Investments should include setting aside money every pay check in a Roth IRA. Put in the maximum allowable by law or what you can afford. Not saving is just plain stupid (even just a few $$$) and is the best way to plan for failure. Look into mutual funds from a reputable company (I favor Vanguard). Diversify according to your age. Include an account for college funds if you have children.

I'd have to agree. Collect because you like it. Do not invest in toys. IRA for retirement, 401K's, 529 college funds for the kids, stay away from rental properties and the stock market and you'll be golden.

bubblegumbones

Postby bubblegumbones » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:49 pm

swind15 wrote:Buy it if you like it. Pass if you don't.

No collectible should ever be counted on as an investment, because the bubble can pop at any moment. ;)

Couldn't have said it better!

Alleycat
HoF 2008 & CotY
HoF 2008 & CotY

Postby Alleycat » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:05 pm

When considering funds to invest in, there must be a mix of stocks in those funds. Stocks have the potential for big rewards over time. Safe money market funds are barely keeping up with inflation. Day trading (buying and selling individual stocks) is the most risky way to invest. If not for stock funds I wouldn't have been able to retire.

Now back to our regularly scheduled topic...... 8-[

Craig here......

Oneiromancer

Postby Oneiromancer » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:01 pm

I feel like they are an awesome investment, just not in the financial sense, think about how many times you'll look at them on your shelf over the time you have them and you'll always have a beatiful piece of art forever so in that sense it's a good investment.

0xTurtle
Collector Of The Year
Collector Of The Year

Postby 0xTurtle » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:25 pm

Alleycat wrote:When considering funds to invest in, there must be a mix of stocks in those funds. Stocks have the potential for big rewards over time. Safe money market funds are barely keeping up with inflation. Day trading (buying and selling individual stocks) is the most risky way to invest. If not for stock funds I wouldn't have been able to retire.

Now back to our regularly scheduled topic...... 8-[

Now I know who to go to for ACTUAL retirement advice... the financial advisors I've had contact with (and minimal at that) have been worthless. How much do you charge an hour? ;-)
Hiya, everyone calls me, well, Turtle.
ISO: DEK Chet | Elizabeth (Bioshock Infinite) Pop proto

funkystark
Hall of Fame Class of 2011

Postby funkystark » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:33 pm

Hikari is a great investment, when it comes to the enjoyment level of looking at my toy display... that's about it ;)

dustman94

Postby dustman94 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:25 pm

WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO COLLECTING SOMETHING BECAUSE YOU LIKE IT?

TheJobaFett
HoF 2017 & Rookie
HoF 2017 & Rookie

Postby TheJobaFett » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:21 pm

dustman94 wrote:WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO COLLECTING SOMETHING BECAUSE YOU LIKE IT?

Pop happened
ImageImageMay the Funko Be With You

dustman94

Postby dustman94 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:23 pm

JobaFett wrote:

Pop happened

AND BAD PAINT JOBS, BOX CONDITION,PROTO STEALING,WISH LIST AND NOT LAST FLIPPING AND "FUNKOS"

Charger14
Hall of Fame Class of 2023
Hall of Fame Class of 2023

Postby Charger14 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:28 am

Not really a good investment as long as the Hikari pipeline keeps flowing from China.

tlaloc666

Postby tlaloc666 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:24 am

good investment if you like the hikari line,,,, for me totally worth it !!
Kyko here !!

Tik tok : @kyko_tj
Tijuana The Happiest Place on Earth !!

Funko events attended
Fundays 2015
Fundays 2016
Funko Fright Night
Fundays 2017
Premiere Making Fun
Fundays 2018
Fundays 2019
HQ Hollywood Opening 2019
ECCC VIrtual Con 2020
Summer Virtual Con 2020
Funkon 2021
Fundays 2021
Funko Fright Night 2 NYC 2022

bobbleboy
Hall of Fame Class of 2008
Hall of Fame Class of 2008

Postby bobbleboy » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:43 am

Thinking of toys as an investment is a dangerous game. You want to invest, go with an IRA or a 401K. (If you're lazy like me, go with a target date fund.)

mindblowin02
Hall of Fame Class of 2012

Postby mindblowin02 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:48 am

The market has already dropped out of the Hukari Proto/Scraper market, so there is that

Squird

Postby Squird » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:22 am

JobaFett wrote:

Pop happened

Preaching to the choir!
Funklub: 11181

Poncho Pete
HoF 2014 & CotY
HoF 2014 & CotY

Postby Poncho Pete » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:41 am

Collectibles rise, collectibles fall quicker than you think. I have a decent vinylmation collection worth less than half I paid, but it doesn't bother me because I tried to stay focused on the pieces that meant something and that our family collected together. Collect what you love. I personally think Hikari's price point is too high to have a consistent bump up in value other than a select few pieces.
Got Pixie Dust?

gokou105
Hall of Fame Class of 2022
Hall of Fame Class of 2022

Postby gokou105 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:50 am

No, looks like China seller on eBay devaluing Hikaris.
Calvin

Reverend
HoF 2013 & CotY
HoF 2013 & CotY

Postby Reverend » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:06 am

Poncho Pete wrote: I tried to stay focused

This is still work in progress :D
ISO Pop Spastik Tiki protos, ALL OF THEM!

REAL MEN DON'T KEEP SCORE!

SELL OUTS NEED TO RESTOCK SO THEY CAN SELL OUT AGAIN! :mir1:

Pot meet KETTLE

Brian@Funko wrote:GO boxless..it is more fun!

My mom named me Jacob/Unfortunately that's not all I get called
Haters going to hate so let the cry babies cry!

Poncho Pete
HoF 2014 & CotY
HoF 2014 & CotY

Postby Poncho Pete » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:25 am

I am going for the title of the most wildly unfocused focused collector out there!
Got Pixie Dust?

lovetheangels
Hall of Fame Class of 2010
Hall of Fame Class of 2010

Postby lovetheangels » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:52 pm

It isn't even a good investment if you have all 300 of a 300 series. Just not enough interest. You might eventually be able to buy one for 79.99 and sell it for 89.99 or buy one for 39.99 and sell it for 49.99.
Ken here

Reverend
HoF 2013 & CotY
HoF 2013 & CotY

Postby Reverend » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:15 pm

lovetheangels wrote:It isn't even a good investment if you have all 300 of a 300 series. Just not enough interest. You might eventually be able to buy one for 79.99 and sell it for 89.99 or buy one for 39.99 and sell it for 49.99.

That's what they said about the clam shell pop :D , that packaging sucks lol

Pot meet KETTLE

SnackDaddy
HoF 2017 & CotY
HoF 2017 & CotY

Postby SnackDaddy » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:30 pm

Reverend wrote:
lovetheangels wrote:It isn't even a good investment if you have all 300 of a 300 series. Just not enough interest. You might eventually be able to buy one for 79.99 and sell it for 89.99 or buy one for 39.99 and sell it for 49.99.

The packaging is awesome, you're crazy!

Could get a 360 view of the pop BUT can't stack them at all.
Houssein aka Huse aka SnackDaddy

Reverend
HoF 2013 & CotY
HoF 2013 & CotY

Postby Reverend » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:07 pm

SnackDaddy wrote:
Reverend wrote:

The packaging is awesome, you're crazy!

Could get a 360 view of the pop BUT can't stack them at all.

I was referring to the comments that were made at the time when the product first came out, I was just being a smart a**. That is the reason only a few came in the clam shell and it was changed to a box ;-)

Pot meet KETTLE

mindblowin02

Postby mindblowin02 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:51 pm

Clamshell was awesome

Return to “Hikari”