What exactly is an "Artist Proof"?

Be they clear, glittery, metallic, distressed, or any other treatment they can come up with, here is your place to talk about Funko's latest hit product
Peachtree

What exactly is an "Artist Proof"?

Postby Peachtree » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:02 pm

Well, the name pretty much sums up my query. Anyhow, I have noticed that a few people have ended up with "A/P" numbered Hikaris opposed to one with an actual number on them. Personally I like knowing the specific number of my Hikari but it seems that there is something special about an "Artist Proof", which is pretty neat as well. I look forward to any responses!
My name is Samuel, nice to meet you!
Instagram: PeachtreeFunko
ISO: Astro Boy T-Shirt Scott Pilgrim

Mr Yac

Re: What exactly is an "Artist Proof"?

Postby Mr Yac » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:33 pm

well if these are anything like statues an Artist Proof is traditionally a piece that was hand painted by an in house artist so it can be "perfect" and used as an example to show the factories how it should be done. so it's generally a better looking piece than what you'd get off the assembly line.

Reverend
HoF 2013 & CotY
HoF 2013 & CotY

Postby Reverend » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:22 pm

When it comes to mindstlye A/P does not take on the traditional meaning IMHO. Maybe if you get a A/P before it gets produce you might be able to call it a legit A/P but once it is made you can throw that theory out the window lol . I think when is comes to Hikari A/P it stands for more like, we ran out of numbers so lets make a "A/P" (Another/Piece) :D
ISO Pop Spastik Tiki protos, ALL OF THEM!

REAL MEN DON'T KEEP SCORE!

SELL OUTS NEED TO RESTOCK SO THEY CAN SELL OUT AGAIN! :mir1:

Pot meet KETTLE

Brian@Funko wrote:GO boxless..it is more fun!

My mom named me Jacob/Unfortunately that's not all I get called
Haters going to hate so let the cry babies cry!

Peachtree

Postby Peachtree » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:31 pm

Reverend wrote:When it comes to mindstlye A/P does not take on the traditional meaning IMHO. Maybe if you get a A/P before it gets produce you might be able to call it a legit A/P but once it is made you can throw that theory out the window lol . I think when is comes to Hikari A/P it stands for more like, we ran out of numbers so lets make a "A/P" (Another/Piece) :D

Thanks, Rev! Yeah I noticed someone on here talking about Mindstyle and their tactics for increasing batch size (All speculation of course, as noting can be said definitively until we wind up with two people having 888/1000 or other form of undeniable evidence). I suppose in that case I would prefer to end up with a numbered one, as I personally find the numbering to make you feel like yours is unlike any other (feel all warm and fuzzy inside).

Reverend
HoF 2013 & CotY
HoF 2013 & CotY

Postby Reverend » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:51 pm

I think different than most people unless it is a LE24 or less it really doesn't matter because it really isn't that rare IMO but to others I see how a 88 or even a 500 might be seen as rare. I really don't care, if I like the piece and want it I buy it so having extra A/Ps out there it is no big deal. Yet a LE24 or less tends to cost a bit more than most other higher number pieces, so I would hope there were no A/P out there so it can be a legit piece count, I might even be ok with one A/P. Sad to say this is not always true, I seen a few A/P candy corn Freddy's which can be I little heart breaking if you own one as I do. This is just my two cents so take it with a grain of salt feel free to make your own opinion please.

Pot meet KETTLE

Peachtree

Postby Peachtree » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:57 pm

I feel you there. I too judge based on my preferences and not exclusivity. Though that invisible hand is always there moving me towards them without me noticing.

BigM
HoF 2019 & CotM
HoF 2019 & CotM

Postby BigM » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:17 pm

Reverend wrote:I think different than most people unless it is a LE24 or less it really doesn't matter because it really isn't that rare IMO but to others I see how a 88 or even a 500 might be seen as rare. I really don't care, if I like the piece and want it I buy it so having extra A/Ps out there it is no big deal. Yet a LE24 or less tends to cost a bit more than most other higher number pieces, so I would hope there were no A/P out there so it can be a legit piece count, I might even be ok with one A/P. Sad to say this is not always true, I seen a few A/P candy corn Freddy's which can be I little heart breaking if you own one as I do. This is just my two cents so take it with a grain of salt feel free to make your own opinion please.

When I was looking at Carol's collection she had an A/P Candy Corn Freddy too and I think it was lighter weight than the regular release (a different color crown I think). I may be confusing it with the Lava Batman though.
Mickey :SW7:
IG: Fuzzybunnyshogun
Looking for IRON MAIDEN POP PROTOS
Team Deadpool!
COTM 01/17

Reverend
HoF 2013 & CotY
HoF 2013 & CotY

Postby Reverend » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:21 pm

BigM wrote:
Reverend wrote:I think different than most people unless it is a LE24 or less it really doesn't matter because it really isn't that rare IMO but to others I see how a 88 or even a 500 might be seen as rare. I really don't care, if I like the piece and want it I buy it so having extra A/Ps out there it is no big deal. Yet a LE24 or less tends to cost a bit more than most other higher number pieces, so I would hope there were no A/P out there so it can be a legit piece count, I might even be ok with one A/P. Sad to say this is not always true, I seen a few A/P candy corn Freddy's which can be I little heart breaking if you own one as I do. This is just my two cents so take it with a grain of salt feel free to make your own opinion please.

When I was looking at Carol's collection she had an A/P Candy Corn Freddy too and I think it was lighter weight than the regular release (a different color crown I think). I may be confusing it with the Lava Batman though.

I also have a A/P Candy Corn so there is my point I am trying to make Mickey :smile_ears:

Pot meet KETTLE

eastWOLF

Postby eastWOLF » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:22 pm

Artist Proofs are sometimes different from production pieces. The paint could be better or worst, or something has been changed in between.

Some people see them as more valuable others don't.

I like my APs actually inspected by the artist and signed so I know it's genuine, this how my statues are so this is my preference.
Kai
IG: @eastwolfstyle
ISO:
BLANKA PSH PROTOS
SPIKE SPIEGEL PROTO

ShoMeNodder
HoF 2007 & CotD
HoF 2007 & CotD

Postby ShoMeNodder » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:28 pm

Artist Proof & Proto 19124
Test Shot 20616

They all feel the same weight to me.
My name is Carol, also respond to "Sho"

COTY 2009, 2010, 2012, COTD 2013

Reverend
HoF 2013 & CotY
HoF 2013 & CotY

Postby Reverend » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:44 pm

That is not a A/P Mickey that is a test piece Carol just posted and it is Bad A$$, very cool Carol! At one time I had 4 candy corns in my collection at the same time and I could not tell a difference between the A/P or numbered ones. I also have had A/Ps before they went into production, I also have had A/Ps after they went into production and I never seen a difference IMO. That's my 3 cents now :roflmao:

Pot meet KETTLE

ShoMeNodder
HoF 2007 & CotD
HoF 2007 & CotD

Postby ShoMeNodder » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:46 pm

The black crown is the A/P (see bag)...the gold crown is the test piece (1/1)

The Lava Batman, no # , just 1/24 20613
The Test Shot 1 of 1 20614
My name is Carol, also respond to "Sho"

COTY 2009, 2010, 2012, COTD 2013

BigM
HoF 2019 & CotM
HoF 2019 & CotM

Postby BigM » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:59 pm

ShoMeNodder wrote:Artist Proof & Proto 19124
Test Shot 20616

They all feel the same weight to me.

I swear one of them was lighter lol
One was vinyl and one was much lighter. Since I don't have them I can't say for sure though...

Reverend wrote:That is not a A/P Mickey that is a test piece Carol just posted and it is Bad A$$, very cool Carol! At one time I had 4 candy corns in my collection at the same time and I could not tell a difference between the A/P or numbered ones. I also have had A/Ps before they went into production, I also have had A/Ps after they went into production and I never seen a difference IMO. That's my 3 cents now :roflmao:

The last few weeks have been a little chaotic ](*,) ](*,)

I may take the night off and enjoy another drink :drunken:
Mickey :SW7:
IG: Fuzzybunnyshogun
Looking for IRON MAIDEN POP PROTOS
Team Deadpool!
COTM 01/17

a99kitten
HoF 2021 & CotM
HoF 2021 & CotM

Postby a99kitten » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:40 am

Whew. Good to know I don't have to specially insure my artist proof hikari piece or anything and it's probably work less than I paid. At least I like it.
FunKlub member #10577 Celeste reporting for duty :) December 2016 Collector of the Month! 2021 Hall of Fame!
5 Customs, 70 protos, 2800+ POPs (+ MLP vinyls, Hikari, Wobblers, Minis, Soda, Dorbz..)

ImageImage

Return to “Hikari”