Anybody Think Hikari will Blow up?

Be they clear, glittery, metallic, distressed, or any other treatment they can come up with, here is your place to talk about Funko's latest hit product
Submyst

Anybody Think Hikari will Blow up?

Postby Submyst » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:04 pm

Classier

Re: Anybody Think Hikari will Blow up?

Postby Classier » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:12 pm

If they stay at the current price they are at, I'd highly doubt it.

Submyst

Postby Submyst » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:25 am

Lol, I really want to collect some more now. It barely hit me how cool they are!

Chernabog

Postby Chernabog » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:27 am

Submyst wrote:Lol, I really want to collect some more now. It barely hit me how cool they are!

They start to grow on you! I mean, I only collect the Disney characters but they're pretty cool.

HowardTheDuck

Postby HowardTheDuck » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:32 am

Maybe it's different for others but for me...Hikari can't blow up until they retail lower than $50.
I'm Julian. HowardTheFunatic on IG!
ISO: FREDDY FUNKO CAPTAIN AMERICA, FREDDY FUNKO STORMTROOPER, FAIRLY ODD PARENTS 3 PACK, CONTEST OF CHAMPIONS HOWARD THE DUCK PROTO, MAN-THING PROTO, BRUTUS THE BUCKEYE PROTO

arisensun

Postby arisensun » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:40 am

I think Hikari blowing any time soon is very unlikely. I don't think mega popularity was every really the intention of that line. Hikari is targeted at the premium collectors market. Occasionally a piece will be highly in demand for the general public. Funko is onto something with the smaller footprint Hikari, I would love to see more of those at a lower price point. Hikari are pretty awesome and I would love to see another Batman some day.

KMFH11
CotM & CotY
CotM & CotY

Postby KMFH11 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:00 pm

I really like Hikari, and I have several, but the price is too high for me to buy a ton of them. There's still a few mickey Hikari I need to get though lol But like others said because of the price point they probably won't ever be as popular as pops and dorbz
- HELLO I'M KEVIN - @KMFH11 -

jagpop

Postby jagpop » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:41 pm

Agreed with everyone. I love the Hikari line but they are too darn expensive. Depending on LE, my experience is if you wait, they tend to be cheaper on eBay after a few months. Most recent one that I have seen that with is the Bubble Gum Freddy.

I am not in danger, I am the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!

Geescube
HoF 2016 & CotM
HoF 2016 & CotM

Postby Geescube » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:52 pm

Submyst wrote:https://imgur.com/gallery/iUQco :rolleyes:

If it was gunna blow up it wouldve already happened. Also the correct hashtag would be #saban not #saben

:D

Sarcasticguy
Hall of Fame Class of 2023
Hall of Fame Class of 2023

Postby Sarcasticguy » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:01 pm

arisensun wrote:I don't think mega popularity was every really the intention of that line.

That's a little weird to imply. If a company didn't want it to be successful, it wouldn't produce them.

I completely agree that it's rough that most of the price points are $50-80 and then they end up sub-$50 a few months later on ebay... Sofubi in general are very expensive, so it almost seems like they price point at what other companies are doing. I think if things were a smaller edition number, the larger price point would make more sense.

To answer the question at hand, I don't think Hikari as a whole will blow up. Maybe a few characters will retain value, but mostly they will not be as popular as Pop or Dorbz.
Hi, I'm Scott.
Instagram: @Sarcasticguy89
ISO:
Any Fallout Protos
Aliens Ellen Ripley Rock Candy Proto
Furiosa and Normal Immortan Joe Protos
SDCC '13 Bloody Predator Pop!
Retro Freddy Thor | Retro Freddy Skeletor

akagalar

Postby akagalar » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:17 pm

Yes, I also think the price point is too high for the masses.
Image Image

Moepops

Postby Moepops » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:22 pm

I don't think they'll blow up. The price is just a bit to high.
Hi name is moe. Always willing to help a fellow collector. I'm funko_moepops on IG. :colors:
Funko funklub no.11782
Image Image

RoboFist

Postby RoboFist » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:00 pm

Sarcasticguy wrote:
arisensun wrote:I don't think mega popularity was every really the intention of that line.

That's a little weird to imply. If a company didn't want it to be successful, it wouldn't produce them.

I completely agree that it's rough that most of the price points are $50-80 and then they end up sub-$50 a few months later on ebay... Sofubi in general are very expensive, so it almost seems like they price point at what other companies are doing. I think if things were a smaller edition number, the larger price point would make more sense.

To answer the question at hand, I don't think Hikari as a whole will blow up. Maybe a few characters will retain value, but mostly they will not be as popular as Pop or Dorbz.

I think what Arisensun was trying to insinuate was that Funko wanted to create a high-end collectible for high-end collectors, and that Pops and Dorbz are specifically designed as a sort of "gateway drug" for people who aren't yet into collecting? That would explain their emphasis on rarity, numbers, and the high price point at least.

At the same time, I do agree that Hikari aren't going to explode anytime soon. They don't really LOOK expensive, and as cool as they are, the only three Hikari I own are from clearance sales online haha. I think that's what's frustrating about them: I don't have the cash to own them, but a lot of them do look really gorgeous.
Latest: "BAHNEY, MY PEBBLES!"
300th: Audrey II
200th: Rapunzel (Dancing)
100th: Hoverboard Marty McFly
1st: V for Vendetta
Funatic Since 2012

levixkelly

Postby levixkelly » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:21 pm

They're pretty cool.
Hi, I'm Levi
Instagram:
@levikelly90
Twitter: @levikelly90

Image Image

brooklyn_geek

Postby brooklyn_geek » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:37 pm

I am a fan of Hikari but as most people have mentioned the price point keeps me out of the game even at the wholesale level. There are also sculpts I love and some I shake my head at. The best sculpts are the Asian mythological characters and they're obviously not familiar to people here.

theraven00

Postby theraven00 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:06 am

I think the price point is too high and the footprint too big. Pop! and Dorbz are able to get into a lot of stores due to their size (same with the mystery minis and pint size heroes) and price point (I don't foresee an $80 Hikari getting into Walgreens or Walmart in mass quantities). Spending $5-10 on a mini, Dorbz, or Pop! doesn't make too many consumers second guess their purchase, but you get north of $20 and the psyche changes.

From Funko's standpoint it probably still makes sense to produce them in limited quantities. I don't know their profit margin, but typical retail is double wholesale and wholesale double cost, so if it's retail for $80, then wholesale is around $40 and Funko's cost probably around $20. So they can make $10,000 per 500 limited run (using rough numbers). Assuming Pop!s have the same price points, they probably make around $2.50 per Pop! so they'd have to sell 4,000 Pop!s to get the same return.
Poppin'

MartinMtz702

Postby MartinMtz702 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:14 am

KMFH11 wrote:I really like Hikari, and I have several, but the price is too high for me to buy a ton of them. There's still a few mickey Hikari I need to get though lol But like others said because of the price point they probably won't ever be as popular as pops and dorbz

Which r u missing? I have dupes of a few
Image Image Image Image

TriFeckTa

Postby TriFeckTa » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:31 pm

Hikari is starting to grow on me but i don't think it will blow up anytime soon. But i kind of like it cause so far its easier on me playing catchup with some Iron Man pieces i need!
Hey there, I'm Michael and I am an Iron Man Junkie!
Iron Man POP! Collection (Production Pieces): COMPLETE
Iron Man Proto Count: 50
Iron Man Wacky Wobblers: IN PROGRESS

ISO: Gold Mark 2 Iron Man CHASE Wobbler, Gold Mark 1 Iron Man CHASE Wobbler, Gold and Silver 1/12 Freddy Stark Wobblers, and IRON MAN RELATED PROTOS

Check out my IG: @triifeckta
ImageImage

mohawkjones

Postby mohawkjones » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:35 pm

It is all about perspective. No secret I am a big fan of the Hikari series but I also see them as very different product from Pops, Dorbz and mystery minis. Funko is catering to a different audience with Hikari and understanding the quality of vinyl and paint treatments vs the lower end geared products like pops/etc. is key to the mindset of collecting them.

People really dig the $10 Pop price point at Target/Walmart/B&N/etc. and I do not see Hikari being geared toward that audience. Sofubi figures have been around for a long time with a small but strong fan base. The Hikari price point is no different and often much better than a lot of the comparably sized designer toys.

I dig pops, they were my gateway item into Funko but Hikari is where it is at for me. Ultimately the footprint is smaller and cleaner, I really love the funky color ways and I like the larger size format. Plus I really dig some of the wilder Mindstyle designs.

No shots taken at anyone in this thread but I have to admit I chuckle when I see complaints about the Hikari price point but than see what people are willing to spend on a rare pop on the aftermarket. In the end it's all about collecting what one loves and to each his own... ;)
Last edited by mohawkjones on Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hi, I am Shawn. Iron Man junkie, Soda-holic and Hikari addict. Funklub member #14300/01057

theraven00

Postby theraven00 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:15 pm

mohawkjones wrote:It is all about perspective. No secret I am a big fan of the Hikari series but I also see them as very different product from Pops, Dorbz and mystery minis. Funko is catering to a different audience with Hikari and understanding the quality of vinyl and paint treatments vs the lower end geared products like pops/etc. is key to the mindset of collecting them.

People really dig the $10 Pop price point at Target/Walmart/B&N/etc. and I do not see Hikari being geared toward that audience. Sofubi figures have been around for a long time with a small but strong fan base. The Hikari price point is no different and often much better than a lot of the comparably sized designer toys.

I dig pops, they were my gateway item into Funko but Hikari is where it is at for me. Ultimately the footprint is smaller and cleaner, I really love the funky color ways and I like the larger size format. Plus I really dig some of the wilder Mindstyle designs.

No shots taken at anyone in this thread but I have to admit I chuckle when I see complaints about the Hikari price point but than see what people are willing to spend on a rare pop on the aftermarket. In the end it's all about collecting what one loves to to each his own... ;)

I definitely hear you on the aftermarket price point. When I first started collecting I thought there was no way I could spend more than $20 on a single item. I still don't spend a lot on "grails" but have more readily spent $50-60 on an item than I would have a year ago. And if I find an SDCC V for Vendetta or Big Boy for less than $300... (I can't believe the last eBay sale for metallic V).
Poppin'

arisensun

Postby arisensun » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:13 pm

If they do ever explode, I am sitting on a fortune :).

Libertyroxx

Postby Libertyroxx » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:31 pm

It would certainly be great if they did. Personally, I only have 3 but just don't really see myself buying one again anytime soon.
Proud member of The United Funko Family
Fundays 2015 through 2019, 2022, 2023
FDO 7 NYC FDO 8 Sacramento FDO 9 Las Vegas
Fright Night 1 & 2 , HQ Grand Opening, Making Fun Premier, Funko Hollywood Grand Opening, Funkon 1

Funklub member # 14829
Collections Star Wars, IRON MAIDEN :headbang: , Doctor Who, Marvel, Movies, Freddy Funko, Spastik/Fantastik Plastik

ImageImage

Tynett
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby Tynett » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:04 pm

I think for me it's all about the color way and character combination. I love star wars but have tried to stick to vader and troopers (including Phasma). I think the smaller the edition, the more interesting/unique the color the more likely they will move a bit faster. Look at the phasma and Freddy Hikari...they are expensive but also pretty cool so if they can appeal to the right collector they could gain some traction for sure.
Collection Focus - Star Wars, LOST, Video Games, 90's TV
Image Image

KMFH11
CotM & CotY
CotM & CotY

Postby KMFH11 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:13 pm

MartinMtz702 wrote:
KMFH11 wrote:I really like Hikari, and I have several, but the price is too high for me to buy a ton of them. There's still a few mickey Hikari I need to get though lol But like others said because of the price point they probably won't ever be as popular as pops and dorbz

Which r u missing? I have dupes of a few

I only have the purple mickey lol
- HELLO I'M KEVIN - @KMFH11 -

CaselxASD

Postby CaselxASD » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:09 pm

I think like others have said it seems to be mainly price point that scares people away from them. I know I've always admired the Hikaris from a far when they first came out but held back from buying any mainly because of price.

Then I recently purchased one and mannnn glams and even seeing them in person in box does not do them justice! Like others mentioned the colors and effects that some of them have are just so attractive! Now I'm hooked and have been trying to finish my Stitch and Mickey sets every chance I get!

Even if they don't blow up, I just hope that line is stable enough that they continue to make them, and so far it's looking okay
Hai! I'm Jerel, but most call me Jay. | One of those Average Nerds.

Squird
Hall of Fame Class of 2012

Postby Squird » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:52 pm

To blow up properly the price point needs to come down. Mini Hikari might help. Ask again in a year.
Funklub: 11181

jimma

Postby jimma » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:55 pm

If they get them to look as good as the Voltron one, yes. That thing is amazing
ImageImageImageImage

Nobody888

Postby Nobody888 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:12 pm

i think the price point is too high for most collector's and fans. at least with pops that are only 10-15 bucks, it's hard for an average fan to drop nearly 100 even if it is well crafted and limited.

Jezter
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby Jezter » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:48 pm

To be completely, 100% honest, I only own one Hikari, and that's only because I won it through Funko's facebook.

I was extremely surprised how cheap they feel, I thought they were solid pieces, especially when I saw the prices they go for in stores, so they really aren't something I'd want to buy a lot of. If they EVER make characters I'd want in Hikari form(Wolverine, Superman, Freddy Krueger, Doctor Who, Ghost Rider) I'd probably only get those, but otherwise between the price and how they are made, they just don't appeal to me.
Hey I'm John! :joker:

Pops!- 716ish
Dorbz: 34
Mystery Minis: 33
Vinyl Idolz: 2
Hikari: 1
Mini-Hikari: 1
Instagram: courtjezter

This Is Where A Really Neat Signature Is Going To Go....Eventually...Maybe.

misterjstewart

Postby misterjstewart » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:42 pm

Hikari is my favorite Funko line being currently produced. (Had to qualify that because Spastik Plastik is hands down my favorite of all time.) I think they are priced about right as an entry-level sofubi and they are made well with lots of interesting colorways that sit nice next to one another on the shelves. I prefer the Monsters and Anime ones but can see the appeal of the Marvel/Star Wars/Disney/DC releases. The new Huckleberry Hound releases are awesome and will probably end up in my collection sooner or later. At $50-80 they are a bit of a hit on the wallet but it could be worse. And, as many have pointed out, some end up on eBay in the $20-40 range (cheaper if they're Transformers...) so there are bargains to be had.

Will the Pop! community latch on to Hikari the same way they embraced Pop! figures? Probably not. Pop! figures seem to have been genetically designed to be an impulse buy. The price is so low there is almost no barrier to the purchase. Add in the BOGO deals from HT and other retailer outlets and it's like you'd be a sucker not to buy. Instant collection just waiting to happen. Once you're hooked, the wallet takes a beating. But that first taste...

Hikari (or sofubi in general) takes more of a financial commitment and, unless you're rolling in dough or will to sink into the morass of a debtors life, not an impulse buy item. I really have to love a sculpt to buy all the colorways of a particular character. Usually, I just buy my favorite and move on to the next character. But even though Hikari are the most expensive Funko product, they're cheap in comparison to the larger sofubi market (Kaiju) , either primary OR secondary. Here's a taste of what they have to deal with: Kaiju Sofubi on eBay

I think Hikari will always have a small but dedicated following (like Spastik) but won't become the juggernaut that Pop! (and maybe Dorbz?) has. To me, that's fine. It means there's more of a chance I'll find the ones I'm looking for in the clearance bin or for a song on eBay.

TL/DR: Buy what you like, worry less about how popular it is or how much it's worth (or will be worth) and surround yourself with what makes you smile. Happy Hunting!
--------------8< SNIP >8------------------
Her: "How many of those things are you gonna buy?"
Me: "All of them."

Call me James.
IG: @misterjstewart (toys and life)
Los Spastikos Fantastikos

Geescube
HoF 2016 & CotM
HoF 2016 & CotM

Postby Geescube » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:01 pm

Jezter wrote: I was extremely surprised how cheap they feel, I thought they were solid pieces, especially when I saw the prices they go for in stores, so they really aren't something I'd want to buy a lot of.

Sofubi is a lightweight softer vinyl. Paint details are much more intricate AND it's more expensive material being used.

Vetinari

Postby Vetinari » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:16 pm

Hah! Laughs cynically that the age old trick of making something small feel heavy and therefore impart a sense of 'quality' to something is paying dividends here.

It's a weird quirk of human psychology isn't it?

Unfortunately the Sofubi - and therefore the Hikari manufacturing process is a relatively archaic, near artisanal process that is inherently expensive. And I have to admit, I too often fall for the small heavy thing = quality trick. (Just look at the 'diecast tax' that Hot Toys demands on top of their usual, already high, pricings!)

Selfishly, I'm rather glad that for the most part you can pick these guys up at a far lower price than the equivalent Sofubi once retailers give up on selling them at RRP. However it does make me worry about little for the future of the line for all that I've taken advantage of the situation. I do hope that Funko continues to release new designs (and continue to curse them for introducing me to Sofubi - I'm leaning closer and closer to the cliff edge in that respect, though the Hot Toys esque prices commanded by these squishy lightweight marvels of design has just about allowed me to hold off for now)

Jezter
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby Jezter » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:21 pm

Geescube wrote:
Jezter wrote: I was extremely surprised how cheap they feel, I thought they were solid pieces, especially when I saw the prices they go for in stores, so they really aren't something I'd want to buy a lot of.

Sofubi is a lightweight softer vinyl. Paint details are much more intricate AND it's more expensive material being used.

Don't get me wrong, I assumed the vinyl and paint were better quality than say Pops, since the price was a lot more, I am just saying the first time I held one out of the package it felt cheap to me, not saying it IS cheap. I know Funko is a solid company and would never do that to people. :D

I was just surprised with how light it was, I thought they would be more solid, so it just caught me offguard. They just aren't for me, no biggie, I give Funko a ton of my money already, lol

I feel I should also note that so far there isn't really any Hikari in characters I'd want to own, so I haven't felt the need to really get any mostly because of that.

Pops!- 716ish

Squird

Postby Squird » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:48 pm

Jezter wrote:
I feel I should also note that so far there isn't really any Hikari in characters I'd want to own, so I haven't felt the need to really get any mostly because of that.

I think that characters they chose to start the line ended up hurting them. They started off well with Batman an Turtles, but the Transformers were awful (just like the movies - yes I mean that), and they've been inconsistent since then. Creature is great, Frankenstein doesn't work for me. Marvel has been hit and miss, Star Wars- hit and miss as well. The only line they've done 'right' has been Disney. I love my classic Mickey.

Mini-Hikari are the future.
Funklub: 11181

coopscohen

Postby coopscohen » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:40 am

I've seen some really cool pieces that I wanted to pick up while out and about. The price point is a little too high for me and as many have said probably the reason these won't "blow up."
ImageImage

Submyst

Postby Submyst » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:09 am

mohawkjones wrote:It is all about perspective. No secret I am a big fan of the Hikari series but I also see them as very different product from Pops, Dorbz and mystery minis. Funko is catering to a different audience with Hikari and understanding the quality of vinyl and paint treatments vs the lower end geared products like pops/etc. is key to the mindset of collecting them.

No shots taken at anyone in this thread but I have to admit I chuckle when I see complaints about the Hikari price point but than see what people are willing to spend on a rare pop on the aftermarket. In the end it's all about collecting what one loves and to each his own... ;)

Thanks for your reply :D It's exactly what I wanted to hear lol

CAHRULL
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby CAHRULL » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:32 am

This is purely anecdotal, but I think that as the sculpt quality and licensing has improved over time, in addition to many being sold at $50 instead of $80, interest has increased in the Hikari line. I still don't think it's particularly successful though, given that most can be bought for half or less of original MSRP mere months after release. I really WANT the line to succeed. I have a few dozen myself and absolutely love them. But I totally get why in a wider market they aren't thriving in the same way that Pops and Dorbz are.
Hi, I'm Alex! IG: @CAHRULL_AZ

Jezter
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby Jezter » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:11 am

Squird wrote:
Jezter wrote:

I think that characters they chose to start the line ended up hurting them. They started off well with Batman an Turtles, but the Transformers were awful (just like the movies - yes I mean that), and they've been inconsistent since then. Creature is great, Frankenstein doesn't work for me. Marvel has been hit and miss, Star Wars- hit and miss as well. The only line they've done 'right' has been Disney. I love my classic Mickey.

Mini-Hikari are the future.

I think I'd be more onboard if mini Hikari became a bigger thing, but it would still boil down to specific characters. Obviously we all have our own specific characters, but I don't feel like some of mine are unreasonable and are fairly popular characters. I'd happily get Superman, Wolverine, Freddy Krueger, Wolfman, Ghost Rider, Flash and a few others in Mini Hikari form. It's all good though, at the end of the day, Funko gets my money, one way or another, lol

Pops!- 716ish

Shalee04

Postby Shalee04 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:15 am

I personally don't have room for Hikaris. I have to draw the line somewhere and a** I have a huge LE doll and Disney collprincess cation and now a huge Funko pop, mi is, Dorbz and PSH collection. There just isn't any room to squeeze in hikaris anywhere. \:D/
They call me Kelly :smt031
OOB deals I love to find.

Disney is my first love whether it be pops, Dorbz , minis or dolls.

Pops and Dorbz -2000+~~~ I have lost count actually
Minis-450+
Protos-2 Dug with cone from my first fundays in 2016
And
Baby Groot with bomb from 2018

DefNotBlitz

Postby DefNotBlitz » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:32 pm

The mini Hikari are more my style and none of those are at retail yet. I can wait it out.
| POP!: 185 | Dorbz: 76 |
| Completed Mystery Mini Sets: Batman vs Superman, Arkham Games, Suicide Squad |

Return to “Hikari”