Chase Overload

They're tiny and cute. How can you resist?
Mister Piggy Wiggy

Re: Chase Overload

Postby Mister Piggy Wiggy » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:33 pm

It's a pain trying to chase down chases. I get weird looks from people at GameStop for wanting chases. "They're the same thing," I'm told. Ah, it's not, though.
29/Male/CHINESE

I love Pokemon, Gothic women, and Funko products. <3

I collect amazing fan signs like this!

PopDaddy

Postby PopDaddy » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:16 pm

Asking for a Chase anywhere results in being laughed at.

I walk away with no shame.
WTB: Luffy color proto

CaseyJones14
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY

Postby CaseyJones14 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:28 pm

TurtleTheTruth wrote:Asking for a Chase anywhere results in being laughed at.

I walk away with no shame.

That's why I'm glad TRU and Walmart are starting to get Dorbz. So far the employees I've encountered know nothing about Funko so they aren't buying up all the Chases. I'm sure that may change, but for right now it seems easier to find them at those stores.
Brett - caseyj0nes14 on Instagram
ISO - Dorbz and McNugget Protos!

krayziekmf

Postby krayziekmf » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:29 pm

Not enough stores carry dorbz though. You basically have to order online and pray for a chase.

angrykoalagear

Postby angrykoalagear » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:53 pm

I love chases, but I wish there was a blind box created for the two variations to keep it fair. While many people have stores that are fair that put them up on shelves, many times they never make it out of the stockroom. Do not get me wrong it is great that employees have become collectors, it is not cool if they take them all though.

Measured Mayhem

Postby Measured Mayhem » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:07 pm

Yah, chases can be tricky. I overall like them, but I understand the frustration.
Remember, remember, the fifth of November

valorandvellum
Rookie of The Year & Spirit

Postby valorandvellum » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:19 pm

As long as Dorbz chases don't reach the same prices as Pop chases, I'm good. lol
Creator of Soonay & Toratai • 2024 Shows: ECCC (H-12), WonderCon (F-26), C2E2 (U-12), AX (B3), SDCC (Booth #4721)

PopDaddy

Postby PopDaddy » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:36 pm

valorandvellum wrote:As long as Dorbz chases don't reach the same prices as Pop chases, I'm good. lol

lol I'm with you on that!
WTB: Luffy color proto

thejosh2010
HoF 2020 & CotM
HoF 2020 & CotM

Postby thejosh2010 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:04 pm

TurtleTheTruth wrote:
valorandvellum wrote:As long as Dorbz chases don't reach the same prices as Pop chases, I'm good. lol

It's only a matter of time..I'm sure the pop diehards will slowly start collecting Dorbz and realize there are lots of chases to start tracking down, and thus the prices will begin to rise!
COTM 01/18
HALL OF FAME 2020 #79
IG: THEJOSH2010
Funko LOVE in the Heart of the Appalachia

CaseyJones14
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY

Postby CaseyJones14 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:10 pm

Newer Chase Dorbz are already trending in that direction so get em while you still can! It used to be buy any Chase when it was below $20 and now it seems like less than $30 is a surprise.

valorandvellum

Postby valorandvellum » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:15 pm

CaseyJones14 wrote:Newer Chase Dorbz are already trending in that direction so get em while you still can! It used to be buy any Chase when it was below $20 and now it seems like less than $30 is a surprise.

Guess I'll just rely on you finding them in the wild then :D
Creator of Soonay & Toratai • 2024 Shows: ECCC (H-12), WonderCon (F-26), C2E2 (U-12), AX (B3), SDCC (Booth #4721)

CaseyJones14
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY

Postby CaseyJones14 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:20 pm

valorandvellum wrote:
Guess I'll just rely on you finding them in the wild then :D

I'll find the Dorbz, you find the POPs. Go team! lol

Strending625
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby Strending625 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:40 pm

thejosh2010 wrote:
TurtleTheTruth wrote:

It's only a matter of time..I'm sure the pop diehards will slowly start collecting Dorbz and realize there are lots of chases to start tracking down, and thus the prices will begin to rise!

Shhhh! They'll hear you! :-$ lol
Brandon
Duty today for a funner tomorrow
Pops: More than my wife needs to know about lol

fmp398

Postby fmp398 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:03 am

Don't think I'll ever find a chase in store. Most retailers from Hawaii rarely have Dorbz to begin with...it's all about Pops atm. I did manage to get the chase Blue Lantern by ordering 6 via Gamestop. Just a note, even if you order 6 they don't come in a sealed box so it's still a gamble. What is aggravating are the LE ones that being released by HT. They become available in such a weird hour...

thejosh2010
HoF 2020 & CotM
HoF 2020 & CotM

Postby thejosh2010 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:18 pm

fmp398 wrote:Don't think I'll ever find a chase in store. Most retailers from Hawaii rarely have Dorbz to begin with...it's all about Pops atm. I did manage to get the chase Blue Lantern by ordering 6 via Gamestop. Just a note, even if you order 6 they don't come in a sealed box so it's still a gamble. What is aggravating are the LE ones that being released by HT. They become available in such a weird hour...

Hot Topic definitely makes it a bit more challenging having the limited edition sized ones. :cheese:
COTM 01/18
HALL OF FAME 2020 #79
IG: THEJOSH2010
Funko LOVE in the Heart of the Appalachia

a99kitten
HoF 2021 & CotM
HoF 2021 & CotM

Postby a99kitten » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:42 pm

Well - I think the point of chases in so many lines is to make everyone happy. So not just Batman chases or something ;) Now...if you are intent on collecting everything - then I'm sure it would seem an overload :)
FunKlub member #10577 Celeste reporting for duty :) December 2016 Collector of the Month! 2021 Hall of Fame!
5 Customs, 70 protos, 2800+ POPs (+ MLP vinyls, Hikari, Wobblers, Minis, Soda, Dorbz..)

ImageImage

Shinfo13

Postby Shinfo13 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:53 pm

I don't mind that they're doing more chases across the board like they said on one of the Funko podcasts a few weeks back, but I think they need to eliminate the Chase stickers. Flippers and store employees would have such a harder time figuring out what is hot to sell if they didn't have a giant sticker on the front that basically says Cha$$$e on it. It would require flippers to invest more time into keeping a pulse on the community which is the last thing they want to do. I'm not sure what Funk could change to instead but I look at Hot Wheels and how they've stopped labeling their Treasure Hunt cars and you actually have to be "in the know" on how to spot them.

I have 2 Pop chases and 1 dorb, all purchased online from ebay and have practically given up on ever finding a chase myself. I'm looking for the 2 Teen Titan dorbz chases but since those are going for $60 (they just hit shelves) I'll probably have to cave and do the same online eventually.
Current Pop count: 280
Current Dorbz Count: 16
Newest Pop: SSGSS Kamehameha Goku
Favorite Pop: SS2 Gohan
ISO: Not even sure anymore

CaseyJones14
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY

Postby CaseyJones14 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:13 pm

Shinfo13 wrote:I don't mind that they're doing more chases across the board like they said on one of the Funko podcasts a few weeks back, but I think they need to eliminate the Chase stickers. Flippers and store employees would have such a harder time figuring out what is hot to sell if they didn't have a giant sticker on the front that basically says Cha$$$e on it. It would require flippers to invest more time into keeping a pulse on the community which is the last thing they want to do. I'm not sure what Funk could change to instead but I look at Hot Wheels and how they've stopped labeling their Treasure Hunt cars and you actually have to be "in the know" on how to spot them.

I have 2 Pop chases and 1 dorb, all purchased online from ebay and have practically given up on ever finding a chase myself. I'm looking for the 2 Teen Titan dorbz chases but since those are going for $60 (they just hit shelves) I'll probably have to cave and do the same online eventually.

I love your idea about removing the Chase stickers! I definitely think that would remove a lot of the flippers from the equation. I can almost guarantee you that when they are looking for POPs they just rummage through them all and just look for stickers. Take away the stickers and people will actually look at the details of POPs and Dorbz and maybe buy one that looks cool instead of buying one that has a fancy sticker.

DefNotBlitz

Postby DefNotBlitz » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:27 am

The idea that removing the stickers will have any effect on flippers is incredibly foolish. The thing very few people admit is that a lot of Funko flippers are already part of the community. It isn't just guys looking for a quick buck on the latest trend. It's people who have a hook up in stores or work for stores where they will get first crack at any new and interesting items that come out. Mildly inconveniencing a select few won't curb the greater problem. Not buying from flippers is the best thing you can do to kill the flipping.
| POP!: 185 | Dorbz: 76 |
| Completed Mystery Mini Sets: Batman vs Superman, Arkham Games, Suicide Squad |

muscleheadfunkopop

Postby muscleheadfunkopop » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:39 am

What happened to the 1:36 ratio?
Funko Funatic Shoutouts! #9
Fundays 2014◇2015◇2016◇2017◇2018◇2019◇2021V◇2022◇2023
FDO6 SF◇FDO7 Sackanda & LA◇FDO8 SF◇FDO9 Sackanda
Fright Night◇HQ Grand Opening◇Making Fun Movie Premiere◇FunKon Hollywood◇Fright Night II

Instagram: @muscleheadfunkopop #SODAWasted
Facebook: Iz Salazar

Shinfo13

Postby Shinfo13 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:20 am

DefNotBlitz wrote:The idea that removing the stickers will have any effect on flippers is incredibly foolish. The thing very few people admit is that a lot of Funko flippers are already part of the community. It isn't just guys looking for a quick buck on the latest trend. It's people who have a hook up in stores or work for stores where they will get first crack at any new and interesting items that come out. Mildly inconveniencing a select few won't curb the greater problem. Not buying from flippers is the best thing you can do to kill the flipping.

I'm not saying removing stickers would magically solve everything because you're right about flippers already being part of the community, but I think it would cut out a good swath of people and store employees who don't want to go through the hassle of keeping up with what can net them a profit. I used Hot Wheels as an example because they have removed the giant Treasure Hunt logo and you now have to be well educated in collecting HW to even spot one. I work in retail and constantly stock fresh boxes every few days and I have no clue or desire to spend my time looking up the minute details that can be the difference between a $1 HW and a $150 HW. Of course people who flip toys for a living will probably invest time keeping up to date on this stuff but it eliminates a wide spectrum of employees or everyday customers from making a quick buck.

I agree with not buying from flippers is the best way to combat the practice, but it'll never happen because I've learned that a good portion of people are ignorant and just throw $$$ at flippers for that piece they absolutely need. What you or I do is inconsequential when people drop hundreds or sometimes thousands of dollars online or in collectible shops.
Current Pop count: 280
Current Dorbz Count: 16
Newest Pop: SSGSS Kamehameha Goku
Favorite Pop: SS2 Gohan
ISO: Not even sure anymore

Zippieminion

Postby Zippieminion » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:59 am

Chases can be a fun hunt, though disheartening at times when you can never seem to find the one you want. But even then it's less annoying than trying to get the Hot Topic exclusives.

babasdada
Hall of Fame Class of 2023
Hall of Fame Class of 2023

Postby babasdada » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:24 am

If an employee didn't hold a chase for me or if I didn't get it randomly from an online order - I have never found a retail priced chase - at least not in NYC or it's sourrounding region. Employees majority of the time take them or keep them for other people.
Joe from NYC
IG / youtube Babakittysdada
ATTENDEE of FUNDAYS 2015-2023!
My main collection consists of:
Lord of the Ring|Game of thrones|Harry Potter|Horror|Star Wars|Some DC | House of the Dragon!

Pavehawk78

Postby Pavehawk78 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:28 am

Living in Louisville, KY it's hard enough just finding the regular releases. I've pretty much given up on finding Dorbz in stores and shop online and on EBay which has made getting any chase versions unlikely. Living in Louisville and being a collector is frustrating to say the least.

Thechuch316

Postby Thechuch316 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:12 pm

Yeah no demand for these what so ever
So Shines a good deed in a weary World!
:freddy2:

supertoygiant
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby supertoygiant » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:13 pm

I have found a few chases in the wild but in one case I would prefer the common Razor Ramon to the chase. I really don't care for the chase sticker. If I like the pop, I will buy it chase or not. If I stumble across a chase I will also buy it as I could use it to trade.
1st pop Marvel Thor bobble head and Captain America (2011) Walked into booth at SDCC and purchased in less than 5 minutes.

COTM 5/2019

FUNKLUB MEMBER #1893

1st dorbz Funko shop Freddy.

ISO CM Punk NIB or OOB

Legion Of Boom
HoF 2023 & Spirit
HoF 2023 & Spirit

Postby Legion Of Boom » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:47 pm

CaseyJones14 wrote:
Eloy wrote:
I do hate Pop people that bash Dorbz but will buy a chase if they see it in the wild and I con exclusives too (looking at you Thanos).

This is what bugs me the most. Flippers see a LE number or a Chase and they immediately want to make a buck. Or you do find a Chase in the wild and when you are checking out the cashier says, "That wasn't supposed to be there" ](*,)

That actually happened to me one time...I found a Hellboy POP! chase at HT one day and when I brought it up to pay, the cashier looked shocked that I had it and even asked where I found it :rolleyes:
name's Av

Instagram - @av.cruz // Twitter - @avcruz76

IG & Twitter - @averagenerdpod

Fundays 2014 - Fundays 2015 - Fundays 2016 - Fundays 2017 - Fundays 2018 - Fundays 2019 - Fundays 2022 - Fundays 2023
Fright Night 2016 - Fright Night II 2022

FDO8SF 2018 - FDO9SAC 2023
"Making Fun" World Premiere - Hollywood 2018
Funko Hollywood Grand Opening 2019
FunKon 2021 - FunKon 2022

Stitch626

Postby Stitch626 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:52 pm

I do love chases but I hate when certain stores that get them directly from Funko mark them up much higher than the regular ones.
ImageImage
ImageImage. Image.

Funko_Don

Postby Funko_Don » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:51 pm

I've found plenty of them in the wild, and I've had help from friends, but it's so frustrating when people are trying to get $25-$30+ for a chase Dorbz. I'm a huge Dorbz collector, but I'm not going to spend that much on Dorbz chases.
WHAT AM I DOING?!?!?!

ImageImageImageImage

BerserkerBlack

Postby BerserkerBlack » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:21 am

CaseyJones14 wrote:I absolutely love Chases and my favorite thing about hunting is looking for them, but does anybody else think Funko has gone Chase happy especially with Dorbz? Since September there have been 17 Chases announced (I think 2-3 aren't out yet) and I'm sure we'll see Chases in just about every new wave. It also seems like they are all 1:6 (someone correct me if I'm wrong), but the prices keep rising and rising on the secondary market. GITD Blue Flash has been hovering around $60 which is mind boggling to me.

Are you guys happy with all the Chases or is it frustrating trying to get the ones you want?

I only collect certain Dorbz, but the one that evaded me the longest was Chase Jack Torrance. For the longest time he was around $30+ which was just annoying. Luckily I bid my time and got him for $12 from a website that was having a sale on Funko items. It paid to wait it out IMO

zackispoppin

Postby zackispoppin » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:41 am

Personally, dorbz chases are boring. Most of them don't have a crazy difference. On top of that, their value rarely goes over $15.
Yes... we're still here! Hoping Fundays 2024 will be my first! :bounce:

zackispoppin

Postby zackispoppin » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:42 am

Stitch626 wrote:I do love chases but I hate when certain stores that get them directly from Funko mark them up much higher than the regular ones.

As you probably know, this is a problem with dorbz and pops. Comic book shops mark up chases (usually way above value) which kinda ruins the whole thing.

kingdomcustoms

Postby kingdomcustoms » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:31 am

zackispoppin wrote:Personally, dorbz chases are boring. Most of them don't have a crazy difference. On top of that, their value rarely goes over $15.

The price point is an advantage, personally. Got Belle for $10 on eBay a few months back, would never happen with a Pop. But some are a bit boring, I agree, like the two Cheshire Cat's, for example, they're not fading enough. But that said I don't think many Chases, across every line, are particularly interesting.
Pop Count: ~300; Latest: Spirit Mufasa
Dorbz Count: 70; Latest: Huckleberry Hound 8-pack
Rock Candy's: 24; Latest: Belle
Favourite Pop's: Hades Chase, Pain & Panic, Lord Drakkon
Favourite Dorbz: Alice 4-pack, Green Arrow/Black Canary, Penelope Pitstop
Favourite Rock Candy's: Sirius, Bellatrix, and Jessica Rabbit
Custom Count: 25 Pops, 5 PSH, 48 Dorbz, 17 Misc; Most Recent: Kermit PSH

zackispoppin

Postby zackispoppin » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:53 pm

kingdomcustoms wrote:
zackispoppin wrote:Personally, dorbz chases are boring. Most of them don't have a crazy difference. On top of that, their value rarely goes over $15.

The price point is an advantage, personally. Got Belle for $10 on eBay a few months back, would never happen with a Pop. But some are a bit boring, I agree, like the two Cheshire Cat's, for example, they're not fading enough. But that said I don't think many Chases, across every line, are particularly interesting.

I have got some great deals on chases on eBay and Mercari. That's where the vast majority of my chases come from because I cant hunt very often and when I do it's always in the middle of the day so my chances of finding something are slim to none. All of my chases I have purchased off of either eBay or Mercari I have got for $14 or less. All of them are pops. They're pretty pointless though, because they're really common, but people just come and buy them all first. In the end chases end up at around $20. Its not even worth trying to flip them.

kingdomcustoms

Postby kingdomcustoms » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:09 pm

zackispoppin wrote:
kingdomcustoms wrote:

I have got some great deals on chases on eBay and Mercari. That's where the vast majority of my chases come from because I cant hunt very often and when I do it's always in the middle of the day so my chances of finding something are slim to none. All of my chases I have purchased off of either eBay or Mercari I have got for $14 or less. All of them are pops. They're pretty pointless though, because they're really common, but people just come and buy them all first. In the end chases end up at around $20. Its not even worth trying to flip them.

Agree actually, to be fair. The best thing is finding a new chase on the first few days of release as people panic buy - then they're flippable. I must say though it's very rare I'm bothered about a Chase - they have to be relevant or really cool, and they seldom are.
Pop Count: ~300; Latest: Spirit Mufasa
Dorbz Count: 70; Latest: Huckleberry Hound 8-pack
Rock Candy's: 24; Latest: Belle
Favourite Pop's: Hades Chase, Pain & Panic, Lord Drakkon
Favourite Dorbz: Alice 4-pack, Green Arrow/Black Canary, Penelope Pitstop
Favourite Rock Candy's: Sirius, Bellatrix, and Jessica Rabbit
Custom Count: 25 Pops, 5 PSH, 48 Dorbz, 17 Misc; Most Recent: Kermit PSH

zackispoppin

Postby zackispoppin » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:18 pm

kingdomcustoms wrote:
zackispoppin wrote:
kingdomcustoms wrote:

Agree actually, to be fair. The best thing is finding a new chase on the first few days of release as people panic buy - then they're flippable. I must say though it's very rare I'm bothered about a Chase - they have to be relevant or really cool, and they seldom are.

Yes. Many aren't cool or don't make sense or are just straight up stupid. Like blood splatter Tiffany... seriously Funko? That's the best you can do?

Wild_Flower85

Postby Wild_Flower85 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:50 pm

My favorite chase is the Flocked Chewy

kamakaziunicorn

Postby kamakaziunicorn » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:39 pm

I was trying to complete a set of all chase dorbz, wi got up to about 33 and noticed I would have to buy 2-3 each month and gave up lol. I'll stick with anime dorbz now
Matt - Proud Member of The KY Funko League of Awesomeness
Currently collecting all Anime Dorbz and Pops :freddy3:
Image Image

WildberryPOPtarts33

Postby WildberryPOPtarts33 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:36 pm

I find it aggravating mainly because I have to resort to paying flippers to get the ones I want because my area is oversaturated with collectors/flippers/etc. I like the different versions that they come up with!
My name is Morgan. Former admin at KY Funko League of Awesomeness, collector of all things Spider-Gwen, Wonder Woman, and anime.
ISO Asuna proto
@superfunkobros

Funklub #13467 :freddy4:

jperez702

Postby jperez702 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:02 pm

WildberryPOPtarts33 wrote:I find it aggravating mainly because I have to resort to paying flippers to get the ones I want because my area is oversaturated with collectors/flippers/etc. I like the different versions that they come up with!

im all for it if its a didfferent version, or different that it stands out. Chases where its a color change, or holding something different, in my eyes I dont really consider them "Chase-worthy"

Return to “Dorbz”