Funko Minis vs. Funko Mystery Minis

Great things come in mysterious miniature or pint sized packages, but which great thing will it be? It's all a mystery until you open one. Then the fun begins.
0mie

Funko Minis vs. Funko Mystery Minis

Postby 0mie » Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:28 am

Is the only difference the window to see what’s inside? I loved the mystery of hunting previously, takes the fun out of it if you ask me :-&

My NFT collections zlyau.wam | wallet.dp | funatic.ftw
FUNKLUB MEMBER #1337

Dsho333

Re: Funko Minis vs. Funko Mystery Minis

Postby Dsho333 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:42 am

0mie wrote:Is the only difference the window to see what’s inside? I loved the mystery of hunting previously, takes the fun out of it if you ask me :-&

Yes that is the difference, but minis don't ever come as mystery, where as the mystery minis have been getting windowed releases at Five Below. Also with Funko making each case harder to get the higher ratio minis people have stopped buying them as you end up with so many duplicates.

CaseyJones14
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY

Postby CaseyJones14 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:54 am

I honestly think retailers told companies they were done with mystery minis. So many people would rip them open or weigh them and then stores would be stuck with opened product or commons sitting on shelves because collectors picked over what they wanted. I think Sodas are a happy medium though because it's a lot more difficult to rip open a can in a store without being noticed lol
Brett - caseyj0nes14 on Instagram
ISO - Dorbz and McNugget Protos!

0mie

Postby 0mie » Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:57 am

Dsho333 wrote:
0mie wrote:Is the only difference the window to see what’s inside? I loved the mystery of hunting previously, takes the fun out of it if you ask me :-&

Yes that is the difference, but minis don't ever come as mystery, where as the mystery minis have been getting windowed releases at Five Below. Also with Funko making each case harder to get the higher ratio minis people have stopped buying them as you end up with so many duplicates.

Wait, how do they do mystery if you can see it in the window? I’m confusion 8-[ the 1/72 chasing was fun, got a few of the pint size heroes; those were my favorite, wish they came back.

The mystery minis are ok, just have weird proportions for my liking; but guess there’s something for everyone. As they say, everyone’s a fan of something ;-)

My NFT collections zlyau.wam | wallet.dp | funatic.ftw
FUNKLUB MEMBER #1337

FredKruger

Postby FredKruger » Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:18 pm

Dsho333 wrote:

People definitely still buying them, but the ratios have discouraged folks, plus low supply being sent due to whatever reason. Dupes have always been an issue lol, some older sets were worse hahaha. Ebony Maw and Thor still hate them.

And 5 below minis def a factor. That's not a good practice.

superkatchick

Postby superkatchick » Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:30 pm

I also really like the hunt for the mystery minis, same reason, other than cute designs, that I enjoy collecting the Paka line! I know people complain about duplicates but I like to carry some along to Cons to trade or randomly give them to people!
Image Image

Indy Viper

Postby Indy Viper » Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:06 pm

Yeah, part of the fun of mystery minis was the hunt and not knowing for sure what you would get, but I totally understand both Funko and retail stores wanting to move in this direction.
ImageImage

MorbidGee
HoF 2021 & CotM
HoF 2021 & CotM

Postby MorbidGee » Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:12 pm

superkatchick wrote:I also really like the hunt for the mystery minis, same reason, other than cute designs, that I enjoy collecting the Paka line! I know people complain about duplicates but I like to carry some along to Cons to trade or randomly give them to people!

I am with you on this. It was fun to carry extras especially if you could help someone else make a complete set or find the one piece they just couldn't get ahold of. The trading is fun and it makes meet ups fun too.
ImageImageImageImage
Hello! My name is Giselle *FDO Host Las Vegas* Making Fun: The movie *Funko Fiends Secretary/Treasurer* June 2017 COTM
IG:Morbidgeescollections Funklub #10230

superkatchick

Postby superkatchick » Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:40 pm

MorbidGee wrote:
superkatchick wrote:I also really like the hunt for the mystery minis, same reason, other than cute designs, that I enjoy collecting the Paka line! I know people complain about duplicates but I like to carry some along to Cons to trade or randomly give them to people!

I am with you on this. It was fun to carry extras especially if you could help someone else make a complete set or find the one piece they just couldn't get ahold of. The trading is fun and it makes meet ups fun too.

Heck yeah it does! I miss meet ups so much!! I still have a large tub full and plan on bringing a bunch to SDCC and NYCC this year!
Image Image

MorbidGee
HoF 2021 & CotM
HoF 2021 & CotM

Postby MorbidGee » Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:47 pm

superkatchick wrote:
MorbidGee wrote:

Heck yeah it does! I miss meet ups so much!! I still have a large tub full and plan on bringing a bunch to SDCC and NYCC this year!

Oh yeah!! That means we will have to meet up :) I hope to bring a bunch to SDCC as well.
ImageImageImageImage
Hello! My name is Giselle *FDO Host Las Vegas* Making Fun: The movie *Funko Fiends Secretary/Treasurer* June 2017 COTM
IG:Morbidgeescollections Funklub #10230

MattyPHATty

Postby MattyPHATty » Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:03 am

FredKruger wrote:
Dsho333 wrote:

People definitely still buying them, but the ratios have discouraged folks, plus low supply being sent due to whatever reason. Dupes have always been an issue lol, some older sets were worse hahaha. Ebony Maw and Thor still hate them.

And 5 below minis def a factor. That's not a good practice.

Ebony Maw was/still is the bane of my mini hunting existence

renardchua
Collector Of The Year
Collector Of The Year

Postby renardchua » Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:02 am

But it seems like blinds are not yet out of the woods yet. Saw some unannounced mystery mini sets already over the internet with still blind boxes.
Hi, I’m Renard. :freddy3:
Instagram: @renardchua

PaleRiderOfDoom

Postby PaleRiderOfDoom » Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:11 am

CaseyJones14 wrote:I honestly think retailers told companies they were done with mystery minis. So many people would rip them open or weigh them and then stores would be stuck with opened product or commons sitting on shelves because collectors picked over what they wanted. I think Sodas are a happy medium though because it's a lot more difficult to rip open a can in a store without being noticed lol

Yeah, with Sodas, you know you will be getting one of two things and the cost/reward is better. With all the ways to game things with Mystery Minis, unless you are the first one to get to the case, there is a good chance you will get something you already have.
ImageImageImageImage
Patrick from Central KY - Admin for The Kentucky Funko League of Awesomeness
Proto wants: Fallout keychains and Vynls, Dr. Doom (Pops or Minis)

PaleRiderOfDoom

Postby PaleRiderOfDoom » Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:12 am

I'm kinda glad there have been no more sets that really draw me in. I'd be all for a window box Horror or SciFi set, but I'm kinda glad those have run their course.
ImageImageImageImage
Patrick from Central KY - Admin for The Kentucky Funko League of Awesomeness
Proto wants: Fallout keychains and Vynls, Dr. Doom (Pops or Minis)

meangene
HoF 2020 & CotM
HoF 2020 & CotM

Postby meangene » Sat May 14, 2022 11:03 am

I kind of like the fact that funko moved towards minis instead of mystery minis. I would always get stuck with a bunch of duplicates.
Gene

lavery01
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby lavery01 » Sat May 14, 2022 11:34 am

The minis work for me! The mystery part in minis and in blind boxes is not my thing. I like to know what I’m buying upfront. lol
Hi I'm Latricia \:D/

Ginzo1622

Postby Ginzo1622 » Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:12 am

lavery01 wrote:The minis work for me! The mystery part in minis and in blind boxes is not my thing. I like to know what I’m buying upfront. lol

A lot of people loves mystery I was at some point. But yeah I understand it is better when you can buy the one that you like
Fundays 2022 - Proto Robots
Fright Night 2022
Fundays 2023 - Protomoa Wolves

Don't stand in my way!!!

:whdat:

FredKruger

Postby FredKruger » Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:08 am

Not a fan. With the windows the case only has the worst ones left. Instead of finding a chance at a mini, you are just left with scraps everytime instead. With Blind boxes at least had a chance to find the rares. Now you must buy a case, or not collect. Some places like 5 below dont sell cases, forcing ebay route. Takes the fun out of them and I hope they continue to make the blind boxes.

Squird
Hall of Fame Class of 2012

Postby Squird » Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:07 am

I like mystery minis but the ratios need a re-think. 1/12 should be the lowest they go. 1/6 is bullsh*t. I bought three minis from three different cases, got three Captain Carters. I know others who are stuck with Neds, Ebony Maw, etc..

On a more positive note...I went back to the same store with a different approach and pulled Zombie Wanda, Zombie Hunter Spiderman, Frost Loki and Party Thor. Also two Ultrons.

But I still have three Captain Carters.
Funklub: 11181

RogueSolo
HoF 2021 & CotM
HoF 2021 & CotM

Postby RogueSolo » Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:22 pm

Squird wrote:I like mystery minis but the ratios need a re-think. 1/12 should be the lowest they go. 1/6 is bullsh*t. I bought three minis from three different cases, got three Captain Carters. I know others who are stuck with Neds, Ebony Maw, etc..

On a more positive note...I went back to the same store with a different approach and pulled Zombie Wanda, Zombie Hunter Spiderman, Frost Loki and Party Thor. Also two Ultrons.

Throw some of that second round luck my way!
Marty
Funklub member #1093
1,000 Minis and counting!

Squird

Postby Squird » Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:44 pm

RogueSolo wrote:
Squird wrote:I like mystery minis but the ratios need a re-think. 1/12 should be the lowest they go. 1/6 is bullsh*t. I bought three minis from three different cases, got three Captain Carters. I know others who are stuck with Neds, Ebony Maw, etc..

Throw some of that second round luck my way!

Shake the boxes. Wanda was the heaviest box I picked up, and when I shook her, she didn't shift around too much, same goes for Spidey. Captain Carter, TChalla and one other one I didn't want really rattled around when I shook them.
Funklub: 11181

THE_WOOBIE

Postby THE_WOOBIE » Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:57 pm

So a question in regards of the mystery minis… With the Marvel Zombies, all of the zombie minis ended up being produced as regular Funko pops expect for Zombie Dark Phoenix… does anyone know why or what happen with that particular figure?? Maybe it will drop at SDCC or NYCC this year?? Thanks guys lol

Popfanatics

Postby Popfanatics » Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:46 pm

0mie wrote:
Dsho333 wrote:

Wait, how do they do mystery if you can see it in the window? I’m confusion 8-[ the 1/72 chasing was fun, got a few of the pint size heroes; those were my favorite, wish they came back.

The mystery minis are ok, just have weird proportions for my liking; but guess there’s something for everyone. As they say, everyone’s a fan of something ;-)

Loved!!! Pint size heroes. I too wish they’d come back occasionally
It’s me Lynda

Popfanatics

Postby Popfanatics » Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:49 pm

THE_WOOBIE wrote:So a question in regards of the mystery minis… With the Marvel Zombies, all of the zombie minis ended up being produced as regular Funko pops expect for Zombie Dark Phoenix… does anyone know why or what happen with that particular figure?? Maybe it will drop at SDCC or NYCC this year?? Thanks guys lol

The best one!!! I think you might be right about it showing up at SDCC
It’s me Lynda

Greymom

Postby Greymom » Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:23 am

Ginzo1622 wrote:
lavery01 wrote:The minis work for me! The mystery part in minis and in blind boxes is not my thing. I like to know what I’m buying upfront. lol

A lot of people loves mystery I was at some point. But yeah I understand it is better when you can buy the one that you like

I was the same way, loving the mystery. But after awhile, it gets really costly if I'm trying to complete a set. Knowing what I'm buying just makes it so much easier!

Libertyroxx

Postby Libertyroxx » Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:28 am

CaseyJones14 wrote:I honestly think retailers told companies they were done with mystery minis. So many people would rip them open or weigh them and then stores would be stuck with opened product or commons sitting on shelves because collectors picked over what they wanted. I think Sodas are a happy medium though because it's a lot more difficult to rip open a can in a store without being noticed lol

If stores are done with them that's cool by me. I stopped buying them because of 1/72 store exclusives. I'd rather just gave the mini I wanted instead of 30 of one I didn't.
Proud member of The United Funko Family
Fundays 2015 through 2019, 2022, 2023
FDO 7 NYC FDO 8 Sacramento FDO 9 Las Vegas
Fright Night 1 & 2 , HQ Grand Opening, Making Fun Premier, Funko Hollywood Grand Opening, Funkon 1

Funklub member # 14829
Collections Star Wars, IRON MAIDEN :headbang: , Doctor Who, Marvel, Movies, Freddy Funko, Spastik/Fantastik Plastik

ImageImage

Sthesuperstar

Postby Sthesuperstar » Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:24 am

I don’t like to guess but mystery minis are so cute. I have a few but I don’t collect whole sets. If the release a horror minis line and I can see what I’m getting I would buy them all.
Follow Me On Instagram @sthesuperstar
ISO SIMPSONS POPS & PROTOS
Member Of Funko Fiends Midwest as of November 2019 :freddy1:

FredKruger

Postby FredKruger » Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:08 pm

Libertyroxx wrote:

If stores are done with them that's cool by me. I stopped buying them because of 1/72 store exclusives. I'd rather just gave the mini I wanted instead of 30 of one I didn't.

The ratios are a big part of all that, but I can see how that can get frustrating. Opened product is one thing, but no telling what is left in the boxes, could be the 1/72. With recent windowed minis seeing the same thing. The good figures gone, while the commons left behind. Big problems with theft, and open product, and return scammers too, so some pitfalls.

I do like sodas, but not enough details to be replace a mini. I think adjusting ratios so case buying becomes feasible is the best way to proceed. I know I for one would prefer cases to hunting, but I can't buy 6+ cases. Ratio adjustment prob best route IMO.

THE_WOOBIE

Postby THE_WOOBIE » Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:30 am

Popfanatics wrote:
THE_WOOBIE wrote:So a question in regards of the mystery minis… With the Marvel Zombies, all of the zombie minis ended up being produced as regular Funko pops expect for Zombie Dark Phoenix… does anyone know why or what happen with that particular figure?? Maybe it will drop at SDCC or NYCC this year?? Thanks guys lol

The best one!!! I think you might be right about it showing up at SDCC

I know!!! I really want a Zombie Dark Phoenix pop that glows in the dark!! Ideally, one that is obtainable for everyone and not being a limited piece for SDCC OR NYCC \:D/

Return to “Blind Bags”