Is paka paka officially dead?

Great things come in mysterious miniature or pint sized packages, but which great thing will it be? It's all a mystery until you open one. Then the fun begins.
Markn12

Is paka paka officially dead?

Postby Markn12 » Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:11 am

There have been no new announcements and many Funko employees who seemed to focus on paka paka are no longer at Funko. Is paka paka officially dead? If so that’s a bummer. Hunting the paka paka dragons from each line was fun, and boo hollow along with twisted treats were so great.

wengderful

Re: Is paka paka officially dead?

Postby wengderful » Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:42 am

My son loves those mystery figures. Hopefully they’ll keep up with it.
Fundays 2015:2016:2022:2023

Serch_na

Postby Serch_na » Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:33 am

I like them, they where out almost the same time as Sodas, so i think with the popularity of Sodas they concentrate more in that line
NYCC 2022
Deadpool - Photography - Mexican

Wiselordship

Postby Wiselordship » Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:19 pm

I would wonder if there are officially or not. I believed they teased a next wave of them that were not released. If that is the case maybe one last wave , but not holding my breath unfortunately. Since there might not be employees still around associated with this line, or at least the ones that made them stand out so much.

aprilyoufools

Postby aprilyoufools » Fri Nov 10, 2023 1:40 pm

Wiselordship wrote:I would wonder if there are officially or not. I believed they teased a next wave of them that were not released. If that is the case maybe one last wave , but not holding my breath unfortunately. Since there might not be employees still around associated with this line, or at least the ones that made them stand out so much.

This. Those artists who sat around, drew to brainstorm our favorite Paka Paka series and characters, and made them successful may no longer be there.
Maybe also the pandemic had a bit to do with the decline of Paka Paka. Part of the fun was getting them from the machines at Funko HQ and Hollywood and ThinkGeek and GameStop locations but customers weren't able to use them. Eventually they got phased out. And shipping and supply chain issues could've contributed to it, too. For me it didn't seem as fun to pick them out from the box they came in.
she/they • ARMY | MOA | Bunnies/Tokki | FEARNOT

Wiselordship

Postby Wiselordship » Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:12 pm

aprilyoufools wrote:
Wiselordship wrote:I would wonder if there are officially or not. I believed they teased a next wave of them that were not released. If that is the case maybe one last wave , but not holding my breath unfortunately. Since there might not be employees still around associated with this line, or at least the ones that made them stand out so much.

This. Those artists who sat around, drew to brainstorm our favorite Paka Paka series and characters, and made them successful may no longer be there.
Maybe also the pandemic had a bit to do with the decline of Paka Paka. Part of the fun was getting them from the machines at Funko HQ and Hollywood and ThinkGeek and GameStop locations but customers weren't able to use them. Eventually they got phased out. And shipping and supply chain issues could've contributed to it, too. For me it didn't seem as fun to pick them out from the box they came in.

Oh, the machines. I saw those before. They did make it a lot of fun to collect them.

Jade-Rex

Postby Jade-Rex » Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:06 pm

I remember they revealed the third Boo Hollow set at an event and I saw some teases of sketch versions too, but nothing came of them.

Really disappointed because Boo Hollow was one of my favorite lines overall.
Pop count: 300+ (lost count lol)
Dream Pop: Fantasy Barbarian Bakugo
ISO: Bakugo Proto, Picklez and Chester holo cards
Lines I Miss: Wetmore Forest, Boo Hollow

Steelo99

Postby Steelo99 » Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:12 pm

I remember they had the little vending
machines at GameStop and at Funko HQ
but I haven’t seen them in a long time

aprilyoufools

Postby aprilyoufools » Sat Nov 11, 2023 1:17 pm

Wiselordship wrote:Oh, the machines. I saw those before. They did make it a lot of fun to collect them.

Steelo99 wrote:I remember they had the little vending

Yeah, they were only usable for a few months before COVID hit. We bought a few tokens and got a few Paka Paka from the machines during the Hollywood store grand opening and when we visited again the following month. I recorded the video on the screen, not really thinking those machines would get phased out so quickly.
she/they • ARMY | MOA | Bunnies/Tokki | FEARNOT

Greek187

Postby Greek187 » Sat Nov 11, 2023 1:32 pm

aprilyoufools wrote:
Wiselordship wrote:Oh, the machines. I saw those before. They did make it a lot of fun to collect them.

Yeah, they were only usable for a few months before COVID hit. We bought a few tokens and got a few Paka Paka from the machines during the Hollywood store grand opening and when we visited again the following month. I recorded the video on the screen, not really thinking those machines would get phased out so quickly.

There dead and gone
Funko POP collector since 2015
Wife and Husband hobby for both of us
Couples funatics!
EVENTS
Sdcc 2023 :freddy3: Image
WENT TO -.Hollywood grand opening ,Wondercon 23 , FUNKON 1 2021 opening day,,

Wiselordship

Postby Wiselordship » Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:24 pm

aprilyoufools wrote:

Yea, Covid messed with a lot of things. Wonder if someone has one in their house. Would be a cool conversation piece.

Sarcasticguy
Hall of Fame Class of 2023
Hall of Fame Class of 2023

Postby Sarcasticguy » Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:24 am

I feel like Paka Paka technically falls under their "mystery mini" umbrella and they just dropped Demon Slayer. So while they may not have announced anything recently, it could come back.

Although with Funko trying to focus their lines, they could have silently retired Paka Paka like they've done with other lines.
Hi, I'm Scott.
Instagram: @Sarcasticguy89
ISO:
Any Fallout Protos
Aliens Ellen Ripley Rock Candy Proto
Furiosa and Normal Immortan Joe Protos
SDCC '13 Bloody Predator Pop!
Retro Freddy Thor | Retro Freddy Skeletor

renardchua
Collector Of The Year
Collector Of The Year

Postby renardchua » Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:57 am

Jade-Rex wrote:I remember they revealed the third Boo Hollow set at an event and I saw some teases of sketch versions too, but nothing came of them.

Really disappointed because Boo Hollow was one of my favorite lines overall.

The third Boo Hollow came out, remember seeing it available at Funko.com some months ago.

But if I remember correctly, series 4 was teased by Reis himself at Fright Night 2 last year at NYCC, but yeah since he is not with Funko anymore, big chance the project is also shelved as well.
Hi, I’m Renard. :freddy3:
Instagram: @renardchua

emoagogo
HoF 2023 & Spirit
HoF 2023 & Spirit

Postby emoagogo » Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:15 am

Theyre all in my bathtub

Emo or Emilio is fine.
ISO: Pixar Protos
IG: emoagogo

Markn12

Postby Markn12 » Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:19 pm

wengderful wrote:My son loves those mystery figures. Hopefully they’ll keep up with it.

My kids loved them too. Fun figures and fun packaging.

Markn12

Postby Markn12 » Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:21 pm

Yeah, Reis’s boo hollow were some of my fav

Wiselordship

Postby Wiselordship » Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:57 pm

Markn12 wrote:

Yeah, Reis’s boo hollow were some of my fav

Oh yea, and his new stuff with Tiny Ghosts are so detailed and amazing.

scullysdad

Postby scullysdad » Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:44 am

My wife's favorite Funko line is Boo Hollow. She even bought a Boo Hollow wallet when we were at HQ back in July. So for her sake, I hope these come back but who knows if they would try without Reis? It was definitely his baby.
Please Funko make Taylor Swift Pops!

Most wanted non-Taylor Pops: Carson Teva, Naru from Prey, The Last of Us TV show

Funkognome

Postby Funkognome » Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:13 pm

This is sad to hear. Boo Hollow was so good. I also liked the Cats even though I never collected them

brooklyn_geek

Postby brooklyn_geek » Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:59 am

I ended up buying a few Paka Paka during NYCC last year and I was pleasantly surprised how much I liked them but it wasn't something I could see a lot of people buying over and over

post31

Postby post31 » Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:22 am

Unfortunately I think they are dead. They were super fun to collect and the dragons were all amazing. They’ll be missed.
SDCC 1998 - current
Fundays 2016, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
Pop Rangers, Killer Crowns, Lumberjacks
FDO8 2018 LA
FDO9 2023 SD
Making Fun premier
Funko Hollywood Grand Opening
Funkon 2021

keyese

Postby keyese » Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:15 am

I think they're gone :( I'm assuming it was getting too difficult to keep them at the 5$ price point with rising costs and there's just so much competition in the capsule toy market right now.
AKA ElizabethKeyes on Twitch or keyese on Discord :freddy2:
ISO Mystery Minis!
Lord of the Rings: Eowyn (HT) and Lurtz (HT)
Avengers Endgame: 1/72 Hulk, 1/72 Hawkeye, 1/24 Black Widow (all Walmart exclusives)

Lonikins
HoF 2020 & CotM & Spirit Award
HoF 2020 & CotM & Spirit Award

Postby Lonikins » Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:46 pm

I really liked Paka Paka and Pint Size Heroes and I'm still sad that both seem to have disappeared forever. I think a big thing might have to do with the artists that are no longer there. I just realized the other day that the machine was gone from one of my gamestops in the area and I was a little heart broken.
Lauren - @flippiefloppies on twitter - @lonikinsfunko on IG - Spirit 2017 - CotM October 2018 - Hall of Fame Class of 2020

ImageImageImageImage

cptsailor

Postby cptsailor » Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:16 pm

They seem to be scrapped. Always wanted a Kawaii Village 2 release or more country themed ones :(
Hi, I'm Dillon!

IG: cptsailor

WeaponX17

Postby WeaponX17 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:23 pm

This was definitely a fan favorite line, why they would let the mystery mini game down like this is a great question. I always loved my minis and although I still think I may prefer the old box/case layout method, I loved these paka balls as well. I have all the Dragons! They seem to have gone back to the box method, but the newer sets look kinda weak and these window boxes popping up at 5Below are the worst quality of them all
ISO: ChillyWilly proto, Marvel Freddy Deadpool, hugs, and free tacos
:freddy2:

Hopesdenial

Postby Hopesdenial » Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:04 pm

I loved paka pakas. I still remember the machines at Funko Hollywood. My last paka pakas were Villainous Valentines and Clown Spy. Purchased them at gamestop on clearance and got the dragons in both.

partner-in-crime

Postby partner-in-crime » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:21 am

Hopesdenial wrote:I loved paka pakas. I still remember the machines at Funko Hollywood. My last paka pakas were Villainous Valentines and Clown Spy. Purchased them at gamestop on clearance and got the dragons in both.

Those dragons are awesome.
Hello funatics, I'm Alana and I love collecting dragon pops.

FUNDAYS 2016, 2018, 2019, 2022
FDO LA 8
World Premiere Making Fun
FUNKO Hollywood Grand Opening
[color=#FF8000]Mask O Raid 2022[/color]

Return to “Blind Bags”