Completing Mystery Mini Set Methods

Great things come in mysterious miniature or pint sized packages, but which great thing will it be? It's all a mystery until you open one. Then the fun begins.
zebus_0

Completing Mystery Mini Set Methods

Postby zebus_0 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:39 pm

In your opinion, what's the best way to complete a set of mystery minis?
Debating this on another forum, so far the choices are buying cases and buying singles (the obvious choices)
I think if you're just starting out on a series that it's better off to buy a case, you stand a good chance of getting at least one rare in that case, and will probably nearly complete the entire series minus a couple. You'll have dupes but since most cases are discounted if you buy that many, you're not in deep and reselling them even at retail is possible, or using them as trade bait.
Then you've got buying singles. Personally I think I'm better of buying singles at the moment because I'm collecting the Game of Thrones series, for example, and I'm two off (Drogon and Glow Walker). I'd really love somebody that is good at math and figure up what the probability odds are of me just randomly walking up to cases in different stores that contain differing amounts of figures that may or may not have rares in them. I got Jaime, as an another example, as one of 2 last figs a Hot Topic had on hand. (LUCKY!)
Obviously the 'best' way would be just buying them on eBay, but I'm sure most of you have seen the absurd amounts that rare figs go for. I've seen at least one thread that proposed case layouts but I've never seen proof on it really, and I"ve seen multiple theories on which one is the 'rare spot'

glowfunkofreak
HoF 2007 & Spirit
HoF 2007 & Spirit
Location: the other side of the rainbow .. where everything GLOWS !!

Re: Completing Mystery Mini Set Methods

Postby glowfunkofreak » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:40 pm

Buy a master case .. lol

Sell the rest.
Once a FUNATIC a FUNATIC for LIFE

It's ALL about the FUN
WEBSITE - http://justanotherfunkoobserver.com/

zebus_0

Postby zebus_0 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:52 pm

glowfunkofreak wrote:Buy a master case .. lol

Sell the rest.

A master case? Does that have 1 of everything or something?

Kaljor

Postby Kaljor » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:10 pm

Master case only has the regulars and 1 chase. You will eventually need to hunt down the other chase figures.
My Name is Ernie

XXDCXBATMAN

Postby XXDCXBATMAN » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:12 pm

Kaljor wrote:Master case only has the regulars and 1 chase. You will eventually need to hunt down the other chase figures.

A master case is 6 regular cases.
Hi, I'm Michael
Total collection count: 681
Started collecting: 02/27/14

ImageImageImage

Kaljor

Postby Kaljor » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:18 pm

XXDCXBATMAN wrote:
Kaljor wrote:Master case only has the regulars and 1 chase. You will eventually need to hunt down the other chase figures.

I bow to your knowledge young one.
My Name is Ernie

zebus_0

Postby zebus_0 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:03 pm

XXDCXBATMAN wrote:

That would be an absurd amount of money to tie up in figs that would take a long time to sell off as dupes, and if it's random case selection wouldn't you not even be guaranteed a rare? I thought the way the odds worked is that in 1/144 there is MAYBE one ever 6 cases, not if I pick 6 random cases of 24 there has to be one in there.

Squird
Hall of Fame Class of 2012
Hall of Fame Class of 2012

Postby Squird » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:16 pm

I buy singles until I get a dupe, then cherry pick on trading/auction sites. It helps that I don't always want to complete a set, just get a few here and there.
Funklub: 11181

XXDCXBATMAN

Postby XXDCXBATMAN » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:18 pm

zebus_0 wrote:
XXDCXBATMAN wrote:

That would be an absurd amount of money to tie up in figs that would take a long time to sell off as dupes, and if it's random case selection wouldn't you not even be guaranteed a rare? I thought the way the odds worked is that in 1/144 there is MAYBE one ever 6 cases, not if I pick 6 random cases of 24 there has to be one in there.

Not in a master case, buying a master case isn't like just buying six regular cases, if you buy a master case you get 6 cases, each with one of the 6 different case layouts.
Hi, I'm Michael
Total collection count: 681
Started collecting: 02/27/14

ImageImageImage

pattycakesully

Postby pattycakesully » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:40 pm

Sadly I wouldn't know. I haven't completed a series yet :(

Return to “Blind Bags”