Which Case? (Need help with minis!)

Great things come in mysterious miniature or pint sized packages, but which great thing will it be? It's all a mystery until you open one. Then the fun begins.
Birdeh

Which Case? (Need help with minis!)

Postby Birdeh » Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:29 pm

So my shelves are getting quite crowded as it is, and displaying my minis is getting to be a hassle. I've found a few cases online that I liked a lot that would do well for displaying them..but I'm not sure which to choose.

http://www.michaels.com/10117521.html?productsource=Recommendations

Case 1

Pros:
-Nice and neat
-Cheap

Cons:
-Might not hold my ponies? (size?..)
-Only holds 12

http://www.michaels.com/studio-decor-keepsake-display-case/10227067.html?productsource=Recommendations

Case 2

Pros:
-Nice and neat
-Cheap
-Nice front loading door
-Would probably hold quite a few minis?

Cons:
-Ponies may not fit

http://www.michaels.com/studio-decor-baseball-bat-display-case/10174362.html#q=baseball+case&start=3

Case 3

Pros:
-Nice and neat
-Very sleek
-Could put ponies on top and inside
-Would hold a LOT of ponies

Cons:
-Expensive (but buy one get one free?)

if anyone uses any of these cases for their minis (and specifically ponies) would you please leave a review on which one would be best?
Robbie / 22 / under ur bed

LTB: Cheese Sandwich and Maud Pie vinyl / Harry Potter POPs

Kitzka
HoF 2017 & CotM
HoF 2017 & CotM

Re: Which Case? (Need help with minis!)

Postby Kitzka » Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:56 pm

Hi Jessie

Happy holidays. I actually have 2 of these cases and let me tell you my thoughts. my grades are based on how ell it will work for minis.

Case 1: well made case, as you said inexpensive but it won't hold all minis. A good number of the minis are too tall or are too,long with their fluffy tails. I bought this to hold some other collectibles. Dj- Pon fits fine but spitfire doesn't fit at all. And because of the fluffy tails some ponies only fit in at an angle. You might be able to it 2 per cubby with some ponies but others you will only fit 1 and then what Do you do with the ponies that are too tall? I don't think it would be a great option. Probably a B or. b+

Case 2: I like that this is flexible. You can fit more than a dozen or something but t.he ponies won't fit in here. Actually none of the funko mystery minis will fit. They are too tall. Most of the Hasbro blimd bag ponies will fit but not all. The Hasbro blijd bag princesses are too tall. I use these for small collectibLe such as my Hasbro blijd bags, my mini smurfs, and so,e of the Japanese erasers that I still have. But then again not all of those will fit. B- or c+

Case 3: great option. Other collectors use this case to hold pops. I can't rqemember how many pops fit into each case but it's probably 10 ish? So,there will be plenty of room for the minis. You could probably get series 1 and 2 manpybe even series 3 in one of these. And as you said, you can also fit some on top. It is expensive but michaels regularly has 50% off coupons and maybe you could use one of those on it? And I think they regularly go on sale. But I worry about being able to see the ponies over the edge of the frame. A-

So, I thnk case 3 is your best bet. I keep my minis in these old beanie baby cases I had from back in the day. I can fit 6 minis per case and they stack nicely. For comparison 2 of the shorter pops fit into this case (like wall-e and eve). Right now there isn't nothing out there that works great. I've thought about getting a few shadow boxes and the adding a shelf made out of foam core. Have t don't it yet but am thinking about it. I'm just not into the minis as much as I use to.

Good luck and let us know what you decide. Would love t.omsee the finished product.

Lara

Looking for Care Bear Protos

wolverinert68

Postby wolverinert68 » Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:51 pm

Hi Jessica

I agree and disagree with kitzka. The baseball bat display cases are awesome and can be found very cheap from Michaels if you are willing to wait a little bit. I got mine bogo free with a 25% off your entire order. I also had 1 more coupon that escapes me but I walked out with 4 for under the price of 1. The size of them holds 15 inside and at least 15 on top. (Fairly little space between. I'll edit this post later with a pic.)

Alright now why I disagree. The funky mystery minis or mini pops are simply too small for these display cases. You will have a ton of negative space. Now for non ponies, I use a display case from Michaels for tall shot glasses. There are a few that do not fit inside but they fit nicely on top.

If you go to Michaels and look around they have so many shadow box options to choose from.

How are you looking to display the ponies? Face forward, sideways to see mane tail and mark or at an angle for a but of both? That will make a big difference on what I would suggest to you
[color=#0000FF]I'm Zac

Birdeh

Postby Birdeh » Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:45 am

wolverinert68 wrote:How are you looking to display the ponies? Face forward, sideways to see mane tail and mark or at an angle for a but of both? That will make a big difference on what I would suggest to you

I'm probably going to do fronts just because all my others are displayed that way. Consistency is nice.

Kitzka
HoF 2017 & CotM
HoF 2017 & CotM

Postby Kitzka » Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:20 pm

One thing I meant to add, I have a touch of ocd about some things. I'm not so bothered by how my ponies are displayed but I am concerned with what they are displayed in. So, all of my collectibles are in displays with the same type of frame so they look the same. So the thickness of the trim, type of bezel, matting, etc is the same. I'm so particular about it that I actually measure it. If I'm at the store and it doesn't have the same thickness,well the I don't get it. It would bother me too much.

Not everyone is like that but it's something I look for.

Lara

Birdeh

Postby Birdeh » Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:06 pm

Lara-

Yeah, I'll most certainly be getting a single type of container. Consistency is important to me.

Birdeh

Postby Birdeh » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:57 pm

Kitzka
HoF 2017 & CotM
HoF 2017 & CotM

Postby Kitzka » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:40 pm

Jessie

Looks great. Love how you separated the metallics from the regular and I would have organized the minis the same way. They really need to make a metallic fluttershy. Are these displayed in the same area as your vinyl ponies? I love it.

Lara

Birdeh

Postby Birdeh » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:35 am

They face each other. On one side of my desk, I have my shelf with my vinyls, and on the other side of my desk I have the wall with my POPs / vinyls.

and we most definitely need a metallic Fluttershy. Especially because we have a glitter Tia already!

beckysaurus
HoF 2018 & CotM
HoF 2018 & CotM

Postby beckysaurus » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:35 am

Jessie, these cases look really great. The ponies are such a colorful collection to display, and they really pop out of the black frame. Great work! :cheers:
San Diego funatic

Birdeh

Postby Birdeh » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:56 am

beckysaurus wrote:Jessie, these cases look really great. The ponies are such a colorful collection to display, and they really pop out of the black frame. Great work! :cheers:

Thank you c:

XXDCXBATMAN

Postby XXDCXBATMAN » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:37 pm

Kitzka wrote:Hi Jessie

Happy holidays. I actually have 2 of these cases and let me tell you my thoughts. my grades are based on how ell it will work for minis.

Case 1: well made case, as you said inexpensive but it won't hold all minis. A good number of the minis are too tall or are too,long with their fluffy tails. I bought this to hold some other collectibles. Dj- Pon fits fine but spitfire doesn't fit at all. And because of the fluffy tails some ponies only fit in at an angle. You might be able to it 2 per cubby with some ponies but others you will only fit 1 and then what Do you do with the ponies that are too tall? I don't think it would be a great option. Probably a B or. b+

Case 2: I like that this is flexible. You can fit more than a dozen or something but t.he ponies won't fit in here. Actually none of the funko mystery minis will fit. They are too tall. Most of the Hasbro blimd bag ponies will fit but not all. The Hasbro blijd bag princesses are too tall. I use these for small collectibLe such as my Hasbro blijd bags, my mini smurfs, and so,e of the Japanese erasers that I still have. But then again not all of those will fit. B- or c+

Case 3: great option. Other collectors use this case to hold pops. I can't rqemember how many pops fit into each case but it's probably 10 ish? So,there will be plenty of room for the minis. You could probably get series 1 and 2 manpybe even series 3 in one of these. And as you said, you can also fit some on top. It is expensive but michaels regularly has 50% off coupons and maybe you could use one of those on it? And I think they regularly go on sale. But I worry about being able to see the ponies over the edge of the frame. A-

So, I thnk case 3 is your best bet. I keep my minis in these old beanie baby cases I had from back in the day. I can fit 6 minis per case and they stack nicely. For comparison 2 of the shorter pops fit into this case (like wall-e and eve). Right now there isn't nothing out there that works great. I've thought about getting a few shadow boxes and the adding a shelf made out of foam core. Have t don't it yet but am thinking about it. I'm just not into the minis as much as I use to.

Good luck and let us know what you decide. Would love t.omsee the finished product.

Lara

Aww man, that's a great idea. I had a ton of those Beanie Baby cases. But I threw them out before I started collecting Funko products. lol
Hi, I'm Michael
Total collection count: 681
Started collecting: 02/27/14

ImageImageImage

Mauison

Postby Mauison » Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:31 pm

I ordered a bunch of these from Container Store:

http://www.containerstore.com/shop/coll ... 2884&N=233

I can fit 12 Minis in them with space in between. I managed to fit 18 of the Nightmare Before Christmas minis in one case but they're jammed in there and some of those minis are quite small so I was able to arrange them to fit. I also have one case with the Toy Story Vinylmation (12 pieces) in them.
Aloha, I'm David and I love everything Disney!!!

Birdeh

Postby Birdeh » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:50 pm

Mauison wrote:I ordered a bunch of these from Container Store:

I can fit 12 Minis in them with space in between. I managed to fit 18 of the Nightmare Before Christmas minis in one case but they're jammed in there and some of those minis are quite small so I was able to arrange them to fit. I also have one case with the Toy Story Vinylmation (12 pieces) in them.

oh man I may order a few of these too!

I'd like one or two of them just for the other miscellaneous minis I have.

brand42

Postby brand42 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:26 am

I recommend this case too. I have two of them for Vinylmation and once I've moved into a new place and start unpacking, I'll put MLP minis in them.

Mauison

Postby Mauison » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:19 am

Birdeh wrote:

oh man I may order a few of these too!

I'd like one or two of them just for the other miscellaneous minis I have.

I forgot to mention that I use this Earthquake Putty to hold my minis in place, especially the ones with small feet and big heads that tip over (like Jack Skellington):

http://www.amazon.com/Quakehold-88111-M ... 0002VA9NA/
Aloha, I'm David and I love everything Disney!!!

Return to “Blind Bags”