Cleaning Minis with a Magic Eraser - Visuals included!

Great things come in mysterious miniature or pint sized packages, but which great thing will it be? It's all a mystery until you open one. Then the fun begins.
Deaf Funko

Re: Cleaning Minis with a Magic Eraser - Visuals included!

Postby Deaf Funko » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:53 am

Lyn thanks for share never thought of it before my kids can play with it

wuvvy

Postby wuvvy » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:20 pm

Thanks for this tip, I have a OOB 3pack of GOT metallic dragons that I managed to score from Popcultcha when they had a pop up store. They need a little clean though as all the loose pops they have are put into a little pool and you just dig through to see what you can find.

vhsu16

Postby vhsu16 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:41 pm

Thanks for the info. This is great help. I'm like you...i need proof hhehhe

YamiJV

Postby YamiJV » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:05 am

Great info never thought about that
Hi I'm Jimmy!
Gokai change! Gokai Blue!!!!

Nellekeller

Postby Nellekeller » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:45 pm

Thanks for the helpful tips:)

Greymom

Postby Greymom » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:14 pm

Very informative! Thank you!

geekypeeples

Postby geekypeeples » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:24 pm

High five fantastic smart thank you for posting
Be well and blessed; g'journey and Keep Lovin' this Pop Life!

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

cee127

Postby cee127 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:18 am

geekypeeples wrote:High five fantastic smart thank you for posting

Good info for sure as some of mine getting tacky over time that’s oob ](*,)
:freddy3: c3e
IG: megab0x
ISO: 9in fred Batman blue suit (LE24)
Have 9in fred Batman black suit for trade

neilmc2001

Postby neilmc2001 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:18 pm

Thanks for the info !

InternationalPopper

Postby InternationalPopper » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:08 pm

Noctu wrote:Hello! I don't know about the rest of you, but I am a very visual person (especially when it comes to doing things that I am mildly afraid may completely and utterly destroy something I am rather fond of… I guess I like proof). I did some sleuthing through the forums and multiple times the ability of magic erasers to help clean spots on pops were mentioned, but I was really hoping to see some imagery. Either I am a lousy detective (possible) or I just never clicked the right link but I finally had to take the plunge and just try it for myself.

The setup: I bought a lot of horror mystery minis off of eBay, and was all excited when they arrived. Upon opening them, however, I was mildly horrified (oh the drama of it all). The vast majority of them had escaped their bubble wrap and were having a little too much fun in a mosh pit of careless abandon. Lots of little paint transfer spots were decorating the minis and I was not exactly a happy addict. And so, for anyone else who might be curious (or a chicken like I was lol) here is how it went for me.

My minis were all smooshed together. Eek! Also, you can see the paint coming off on the eraser, plus the shriveled mass that was left over after working with it.

Sorry, I started taking the photos on my pant leg before I thought… "Hey! I could jazz this up a bit with a fancy background and then people will be all 'Oooh, that's so classy!'" So I went with it.
(Spots: Jason's legs, Freddy's Hat, Ghost Face's chest & left Arm; Billy's Face, Ash's Face, Michael's Eye & pants [after shot shows a reflection on the eye so no worries, I did not scrub the paint off!])

I just gently rubbed at the spots enough to either remove completely or minimize the spots/lines/weird marks. Some areas were way more noticeable (like Chucky was practically rocking some age spots on his youthful dome) and others were harder to spot casually but I'm particular.
(Spots: Chucky's face & Jumper, Leatherface's Face & Eyes and all over his back from head to toe, Hannibal's Eye, jacket, & pants, and all over his backside, Spaulding's Jacket)

TLDR: Ultimately, as long as you're not overly vigorous, using a Magic Eraser is a pretty safe route to go for those minor spots that need a little TLC.

WOW! What a great idea!! This is why I love this forum it teaches me things I would have never though of!

Great job! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
-IntlPopper
- InternationlPopper - :freddy2:

chincoteague1

Postby chincoteague1 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:48 pm

InternationalPopper wrote:
Noctu wrote:Hello! I don't know about the rest of you, but I am a very visual person (especially when it comes to doing things that I am mildly afraid may completely and utterly destroy something I am rather fond of… I guess I like proof). I did some sleuthing through the forums and multiple times the ability of magic erasers to help clean spots on pops were mentioned, but I was really hoping to see some imagery. Either I am a lousy detective (possible) or I just never clicked the right link but I finally had to take the plunge and just try it for myself.

The setup: I bought a lot of horror mystery minis off of eBay, and was all excited when they arrived. Upon opening them, however, I was mildly horrified (oh the drama of it all). The vast majority of them had escaped their bubble wrap and were having a little too much fun in a mosh pit of careless abandon. Lots of little paint transfer spots were decorating the minis and I was not exactly a happy addict. And so, for anyone else who might be curious (or a chicken like I was lol) here is how it went for me.

My minis were all smooshed together. Eek! Also, you can see the paint coming off on the eraser, plus the shriveled mass that was left over after working with it.

Sorry, I started taking the photos on my pant leg before I thought… "Hey! I could jazz this up a bit with a fancy background and then people will be all 'Oooh, that's so classy!'" So I went with it.
(Spots: Jason's legs, Freddy's Hat, Ghost Face's chest & left Arm; Billy's Face, Ash's Face, Michael's Eye & pants [after shot shows a reflection on the eye so no worries, I did not scrub the paint off!])

I just gently rubbed at the spots enough to either remove completely or minimize the spots/lines/weird marks. Some areas were way more noticeable (like Chucky was practically rocking some age spots on his youthful dome) and others were harder to spot casually but I'm particular.
(Spots: Chucky's face & Jumper, Leatherface's Face & Eyes and all over his back from head to toe, Hannibal's Eye, jacket, & pants, and all over his backside, Spaulding's Jacket)

TLDR: Ultimately, as long as you're not overly vigorous, using a Magic Eraser is a pretty safe route to go for those minor spots that need a little TLC.

WOW! What a great idea!! This is why I love this forum it teaches me things I would have never though of!

-IntlPopper

Wow, they cleaned up great. Congratulations.

cee127

Postby cee127 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:41 pm

InternationalPopper wrote:

-IntlPopper

Wowowwww that’s awesome
:freddy3: c3e
IG: megab0x
ISO: 9in fred Batman blue suit (LE24)
Have 9in fred Batman black suit for trade

_ZROE

Postby _ZROE » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:16 pm

Wow!! I definitely need to try this.

MegaFunkoMan

Postby MegaFunkoMan » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:41 pm

Awesome thx on the info very helpful!

ShyGuyPal

Postby ShyGuyPal » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:42 am

I wanted to say thank you for this thread! I've been using this to clean up minis and it works wonders! I just used it clean up some dirty on a recent figure I bought. There was even some on the eye, and it came right off after only a few short wipes. :)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved." - John 3:16-17, KJV

Feel free to stop by my blog at https://tinytoyshelf.blogspot.com/!

Want To Buy: empty FNaF MM display cases | proto Springtrap MM | Horror MM S2 Hot Topic box

imbatgirlpop

Postby imbatgirlpop » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:13 pm

Yay magic eraser!!! I buy the generic store brand. Works the same

fulcaire

Postby fulcaire » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:19 pm

thanks for sharing this!!! was definitely curious how to really clean mine properly
ImageImage

Hqsdfan619

Postby Hqsdfan619 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:48 pm

Thanks so much for sharing. I love to use the magic eraser on other furniture at home. I would never even think to use it to clean my collectables but I'm glad I read this!

SteakNEggs310

Postby SteakNEggs310 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:53 pm

I need those minis!!!

marromero

Postby marromero » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:50 am

Hqsdfan619 wrote:Thanks so much for sharing. I love to use the magic eraser on other furniture at home. I would never even think to use it to clean my collectables but I'm glad I read this!

I completely agree thanks for the amazing info I did not even think of doing that but now that is what I will do with mine starting tomorrow. :freddy2:

Blitzfreeze

Postby Blitzfreeze » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:56 pm

Great idea, I'm going to use this technique on mine.
ImageImageImage
SDCC 1999-2023

buddylee

Postby buddylee » Sat May 05, 2018 3:03 am

this along with the blowdryer are the best tools to exist for Funko product(or any brand collectible) for cleaning up paint and reshaping anything unbalanced. Absolutely must have for OOB collectors.

cheshire-cat09

Postby cheshire-cat09 » Sun May 06, 2018 7:08 pm

Still great info, even yours after. I used a magic eraser on a set. I got lucky and got a set of Game of Thrones minis for $45 that included the HT Rhaegel, but there were smudges on most of them. I used magic eraser and it worked perfectly. :cheshire: :tigger: :wizmickey:
Hi, my name is Allison
Member: KY Funko League of Awesomeness
Image Image

Momijies721

Postby Momijies721 » Mon May 07, 2018 8:02 am

Thank you for sharing such a wonderful tip for caring for mystery minis.
:SW5:

Shalee04

Postby Shalee04 » Tue May 15, 2018 12:01 pm

I too have used the magic eraser for minis I will buy or trade and sometimes people just throw them all together in a box and ship them :rolleyes: :rolleyes: and paint transfers to,each other...
They call me Kelly :smt031
OOB deals I love to find.

Disney is my first love whether it be pops, Dorbz , minis or dolls.

Pops and Dorbz -2000+~~~ I have lost count actually
Minis-450+
Protos-2 Dug with cone from my first fundays in 2016
And
Baby Groot with bomb from 2018

Lakers

Postby Lakers » Wed May 16, 2018 10:53 am

Someone know how to fix mystery minis? I have a walker from a Walking Dead serie that one arm felt off and try to use crazy glue to put it back, but it did not stay. So any help will be appreciated.

CaliCollectibles
CotM & CotY
CotM & CotY

Postby CaliCollectibles » Fri May 18, 2018 5:22 am

Great info. I totally use this idea on any toy scuffs, but watch how you apply pressure. I once scrubbed so much the paint came off and made a translucent spot on the figure.
Hi, I'm L.J. :spiderman: US Navy Veteran

Proto ISO: US Navy Sailor (Dress Whites), Inspector Gadget, Romeo (Romeo & Juliet).

Instagram/Twitter/YouTube: CaliCollectibles
https://www.instagram.com/calicollectibles

Shalee04

Postby Shalee04 » Mon May 21, 2018 12:44 pm

Lakers wrote:Someone know how to fix mystery minis? I have a walker from a Walking Dead serie that one arm felt off and try to use crazy glue to put it back, but it did not stay. So any help will be appreciated.

We have used Locktight crazy glue, the gel kind. Also hot glue..
They call me Kelly :smt031
OOB deals I love to find.

Disney is my first love whether it be pops, Dorbz , minis or dolls.

Pops and Dorbz -2000+~~~ I have lost count actually
Minis-450+
Protos-2 Dug with cone from my first fundays in 2016
And
Baby Groot with bomb from 2018

Lakers

Postby Lakers » Mon May 21, 2018 4:10 pm

Shalee04 wrote:
Lakers wrote:Someone know how to fix mystery minis? I have a walker from a Walking Dead serie that one arm felt off and try to use crazy glue to put it back, but it did not stay. So any help will be appreciated.

We have used Locktight crazy glue, the gel kind. Also hot glue..

Thanks for the info. Will try it and see if work.

NCDS

Postby NCDS » Mon May 21, 2018 4:20 pm

There should be a kudos button. This was really interesting to read, I made the bad habit of bringing them in a bag to trades and they all got scuffed. I'll have to give this a try.
ISO Pockets Snapsie
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Lyndsay_wagner

Postby Lyndsay_wagner » Tue May 22, 2018 12:23 am

This post is AMAZING!! Thank you so much! I learn visually as well, so this was Great. I thought about magic erasers but was too chicken too try. I need to go to the store and pick me up some. I have some minis that need some TLC.
ImageImage
Image ImageImageImage
Instagram: Lyndsaywagner

nickolas086

Postby nickolas086 » Wed May 23, 2018 9:16 pm

I might do the same with my Rick and Morty minis

PintSizePrincess

Postby PintSizePrincess » Thu May 24, 2018 9:14 pm

This is so helpful! Thank you!

jeffcrazy

Postby jeffcrazy » Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:51 am

I have some "muck" on a few, I'll have to try this out... thanks for the tips!!

supertoygiant
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby supertoygiant » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:36 pm

Great ideas, thanks for this!
1st pop Marvel Thor bobble head and Captain America (2011) Walked into booth at SDCC and purchased in less than 5 minutes.

COTM 5/2019

FUNKLUB MEMBER #1893

1st dorbz Funko shop Freddy.

ISO CM Punk NIB or OOB

Fnkyeahryry

Postby Fnkyeahryry » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:59 am

I always recommend using a magic eraser to clean my vinyls. You just need to be very careful not to scrub the original paint off.

Daisy05

Postby Daisy05 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:05 pm

Any tips for fixing a decal on a mini? One of my Harry Potters had a sideways Hogwarts crest decal. Could I heat it up gently with a hairdryer to remove it, and stick it back on?
Wanted: HT Exclusive Mini Rhaegal

PhoenixForce

Postby PhoenixForce » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:36 pm

You just changed my life! I was worried about the actual paint coming off too but this helps! Now I need to head to Michael's and get one :cat:

Hi, I'm JASON!
You can follow me on Instagram: @jpg_rising or on Twitter: @jpg_rising
I also have an Instagram just for my Funko Photography: @PhoenixForcePhotos
I've been collecting since 2013: It started with Marvel and quickly became a collection of, a little bit of everything in between!

Jortega321

Postby Jortega321 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:13 pm

Nice! Good to know!
2013 NYCC
2014 1st Pop at NYCC
2014 NYCC
2015 NYCC
2016 NYCC
2017 NYCC
2018 NYCC
2018 1st Proto at NYCC Fugitive Party
2019 NY Toy Fair
2019 NYCC
2021 NYCC
2022 SMF1, SMF2 and SMF Soda
2022 NYCC
2022 Fright Night II

http://www.instagram.com/jersey_jorge

ryusilva23

Postby ryusilva23 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:59 pm

Very grateful for the tips, have some minis that were a bit dirty and the magic eraser helped!

Return to “Blind Bags”