Anybody Think Hikari will Blow up?

Be they clear, glittery, metallic, distressed, or any other treatment they can come up with, here is your place to talk about Funko's latest hit product
GettingSodas

Re: Anybody Think Hikari will Blow up?

Postby GettingSodas » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:00 pm

Nah. I only collect Freddy Hikari personally. They’re amazing.
Been collecting Funko since 2015!

ISO: Marvel Comic Protos

Nellekeller

Postby Nellekeller » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:05 am

I do like these but only have a few of what I collect. They are a bit more expensive unless its something you really love

supertoygiant
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby supertoygiant » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:20 am

theraven00 wrote:I think the price point is too high and the footprint too big. Pop! and Dorbz are able to get into a lot of stores due to their size (same with the mystery minis and pint size heroes) and price point (I don't foresee an $80 Hikari getting into Walgreens or Walmart in mass quantities). Spending $5-10 on a mini, Dorbz, or Pop! doesn't make too many consumers second guess their purchase, but you get north of $20 and the psyche changes.

From Funko's standpoint it probably still makes sense to produce them in limited quantities. I don't know their profit margin, but typical retail is double wholesale and wholesale double cost, so if it's retail for $80, then wholesale is around $40 and Funko's cost probably around $20. So they can make $10,000 per 500 limited run (using rough numbers). Assuming Pop!s have the same price points, they probably make around $2.50 per Pop! so they'd have to sell 4,000 Pop!s to get the same return.

But that is assuming they can sell all of them.
1st pop Marvel Thor bobble head and Captain America (2011) Walked into booth at SDCC and purchased in less than 5 minutes.

COTM 5/2019

FUNKLUB MEMBER #1893

1st dorbz Funko shop Freddy.

ISO CM Punk NIB or OOB

SuMo

Postby SuMo » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:22 pm

Hikaris are really cool, but i don't think it will ever blow up
ImageImage
ImageImage

FuegoGlorious

Postby FuegoGlorious » Wed May 01, 2019 9:03 pm

Prob not, I feel like most of them are too big
:SW7a:

POPianato

Postby POPianato » Wed May 01, 2019 10:10 pm

I really like the Freddy Hikari. I have all the neon colors and the color spectrum, but would love to add more.
ImageImage

Mr_Wilson

Postby Mr_Wilson » Fri May 03, 2019 8:39 pm

I’d be surprised if it did
IG: mrwilsonthai
Twitter: WilsonThai

Image Image

kingdingdong

Postby kingdingdong » Sat May 04, 2019 12:34 am

Probably not. But as I always say, collect what you like, and if it blows up. Enjoy it.

AustinBundy65401

Postby AustinBundy65401 » Sat May 04, 2019 12:42 am

I've always thought that the colors looked really sharp on some of the Hikaris. I wouldn't collect them all, But I wouldn't say no to adding a handful to the collection.

ditbu13oi

Postby ditbu13oi » Wed May 08, 2019 1:28 pm

They really took a step back on hikari's...

grandpa_stern

Postby grandpa_stern » Wed May 08, 2019 2:03 pm

Yeah, I think it's a bit late for this line now. I almost wish they had started with the half-size ones.
I'm Josh

FunkoGus

Postby FunkoGus » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:19 am

Come out with some new characters, maybe. Blow up... I don't think so.

buddylee

Postby buddylee » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:24 am

grandpa_stern wrote:Yeah, I think it's a bit late for this line now. I almost wish they had started with the half-size ones.

yeah the mini or half size were cool. the fact that most were clearanced, or super cheap, while others were premium pricing didn't help the market either.

KidMarvel
Rookie Of The year
Rookie Of The year

Postby KidMarvel » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:18 pm

buddylee wrote:
grandpa_stern wrote:Yeah, I think it's a bit late for this line now. I almost wish they had started with the half-size ones.

yeah the mini or half size were cool. the fact that most were clearanced, or super cheap, while others were premium pricing didn't help the market either.

I loved the minis when they came out and have a couple, I think the limited runs just makes the pricing harder for Funko. Oh Wells, hope we get some more in the future!
Name: Randall
Collector of Pops, Dorbz, Minis, PSH, Hikaris and Vynl

IG: www.instagram.com/funkoforeveryone/
"A story behind every figure"
There's always room for more Disney Magic and Marvel Adventure
ImageImageImageImage

funkosundae

Postby funkosundae » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:43 pm

No way, Pops are just too popular and cost is the killer.

mongoose12

Postby mongoose12 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:54 pm

i understand everyone should collect what they want/like...and no one should ever tell you what you like is wrong...but what i don't understand is how/why collectors can't get behind hikari...i mean, just read the tag that is on each one! isn't this what we all say we want? rare...quality...artistic!

ok rant over lol :)

mohawkjones

Postby mohawkjones » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:38 pm

mongoose12 wrote:i understand everyone should collect what they want/like...and no one should ever tell you what you like is wrong...but what i don't understand is how/why collectors can't get behind hikari...i mean, just read the tag that is on each one! isn't this what we all say we want? rare...quality...artistic!

You would think. People are spoiled by the $10-12 price point of Pops! and tend to reject anything at a higher price point from Funko. Even at 2 for $15 VYNL couldn't gain traction. $50-80 was a deal breaker even if for the medium that was a very reasonable price point. Funny thing is it's seems to be a curse unique to Funko. People drop $80-200 on all sorts of other designer toys, I was at 3D Retro in Burbank yesterday and amazed at the price tag on some pieces vs. the lack of paint apps/molded parts. Cool stuff but at $100+ for a 2 piece vinyl figure with minimal paint I am amazed at the market for it.

Hardcore pop-holes spit so much venom when Funko announces anything not a pop. It's a very small percentage of the fanbase but man are they loud.
Hi, I am Shawn. Iron Man junkie, Soda-holic and Hikari addict. Funklub member #14300/01057

mongoose12

Postby mongoose12 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:42 pm

mohawkjones wrote:
mongoose12 wrote:i understand everyone should collect what they want/like...and no one should ever tell you what you like is wrong...but what i don't understand is how/why collectors can't get behind hikari...i mean, just read the tag that is on each one! isn't this what we all say we want? rare...quality...artistic!

You would think. People are spoiled by the $10-12 price point of Pops! and tend to reject anything at a higher price point from Funko. Even at 2 for $15 VYNL couldn't gain traction. $50-80 was a deal breaker even if for the medium that was a very reasonable price point. Funny thing is it's seems to be a curse unique to Funko. People drop $80-200 on all sorts of other designer toys, I was at 3D Retro in Burbank yesterday and amazed at the price tag on some pieces vs. the lack of paint apps/molded parts. Cool stuff but at $100+ for a 2 piece vinyl figure with minimal paint I am amazed at the market for it.

Hardcore pop-holes spit so much venom when Funko announces anything not a pop. It's a very small percentage of the fanbase but man are they loud.

totally agree on price point being the 'deal breaker' but man, ppl are missing out on some always merch...i just got that TT Stormtrooper and i can't take it out of my hands lol

mohawkjones

Postby mohawkjones » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:24 pm

mongoose12 wrote:totally agree on price point being the 'deal breaker' but man, ppl are missing out on some always merch...i just got that TT Stormtrooper and i can't take it out of my hands lol

The Prism trooper is sweet, probably a toss up between him and the SDCC Lootcrate Cosmic one as my fave. It's damn criminal how underrated they are.
Hi, I am Shawn. Iron Man junkie, Soda-holic and Hikari addict. Funklub member #14300/01057

mongoose12

Postby mongoose12 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:47 pm

mohawkjones wrote:
mongoose12 wrote:totally agree on price point being the 'deal breaker' but man, ppl are missing out on some always merch...i just got that TT Stormtrooper and i can't take it out of my hands lol

The Prism trooper is sweet, probably a toss up between him and the SDCC Lootcrate Cosmic one as my fave. It's damn criminal how underrated they are.

I have my eye on that inferno first order stormtrooper...and that green eccc stormtrooper... both are straight fire.

InternationalPopper

Postby InternationalPopper » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:57 pm

mongoose12 wrote:
mohawkjones wrote:

totally agree on price point being the 'deal breaker' but man, ppl are missing out on some always merch...i just got that TT Stormtrooper and i can't take it out of my hands lol

Yea I think its all about the price. You can get multiple Pops for one Hikari and it scares people :-k :-k :-k
- InternationlPopper - :freddy2:

mongoose12

Postby mongoose12 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:09 pm

InternationalPopper wrote:
mongoose12 wrote:
mohawkjones wrote:

Yea I think its all about the price. You can get multiple Pops for one Hikari and it scares people :-k :-k :-k

Not sold on the price story. Ppl will spend $1.5k on an SDCC Loki that's LE480 all day long...and a LE 1000 hikari can't fetch $30.

Again I'm not telling ppl what to like or buy lol I'm just saying I don't get it...and maybe I'm not supposed to get it :)

mohawkjones

Postby mohawkjones » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:03 pm

InternationalPopper wrote:Yea I think its all about the price. You can get multiple Pops for one Hikari and it scares people :-k :-k :-k

mongoose12 wrote:Not sold on the price story. Ppl will spend $1.5k on an SDCC Loki that's LE480 all day long...and a LE 1000 hikari can't fetch $30.

Again I'm not telling ppl what to like or buy lol I'm just saying I don't get it...and maybe I'm not supposed to get it :)

Exactly we see people post all day long on various groups about paying hundreds for a $10 "grail" pop, but tell them something is worth $50 initially based on quality/size and they stick their nose up at it. It's a bizarre phenomenon IMO.

xmaldigolax

Postby xmaldigolax » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:56 am

mohawkjones wrote:
InternationalPopper wrote:Yea I think its all about the price. You can get multiple Pops for one Hikari and it scares people :-k :-k :-k

mongoose12 wrote:Not sold on the price story. Ppl will spend $1.5k on an SDCC Loki that's LE480 all day long...and a LE 1000 hikari can't fetch $30.

Exactly we see people post all day long on various groups about paying hundreds for a $10 "grail" pop, but tell them something is worth $50 initially based on quality/size and they stick their nose up at it. It's a bizarre phenomenon IMO.

IMHO
classic hikari >pop.
Rock candy>pop

i wish people could see outside the pops. so many great lines died.
ALEX

HAIL SATAN

Image Image Image

Member of the Legion of Satanic Funatics.

mongoose12

Postby mongoose12 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:19 am

xmaldigolax wrote:
mohawkjones wrote:

IMHO
classic hikari >pop.
Rock candy>pop

i wish people could see outside the pops. so many great lines died.

don't get me wrong, i love pops as much as the next person...but i guess what gets me down is the assumption that so many ppl have blinders on and won't even give something else a chance. but in the end, the core point is ppl can collect what they want and how they want so all i can do is cry in the back ground lol

Hgmaddhatter

Postby Hgmaddhatter » Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:00 pm

I have a hard time with the retail price, when pops are so much less I cant see them being as popular.
Image Image ImageImage

Killua916

Postby Killua916 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:14 am

They probably won’t sell but I love them all the same hah

Westlos420

Postby Westlos420 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:59 am

I think profit plays a big part on why people buy. If something like a pop cost 10-15 bucks they will risk it on the chance of it rising in value but something like Hikari pretty much takes that profitability away so people dont risk going for it.
Big D
Fundays 2017 - Making Fun World Premiere - FDO8LV - Fundays 2019 - FunKon
Star Wars Celebration 2022 - Fundays 2022
Dodgers for life!

IG: funko420

CarlitaJuanita

Postby CarlitaJuanita » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:33 pm

I’m not sure why they aren’t more popular. I think they are cool looking overall

fieldsy32

Postby fieldsy32 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:24 pm

I think it’s safe to say that they didn’t blow up.
Eric, decently tall guy.

2017, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023 Fundays
Funko HQ Grand Opening
2015, 2017, 2018, 2023 FDO
2022 Fright Night

dexiesmom

Postby dexiesmom » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:11 pm

Westlos420 wrote:I think profit plays a big part on why people buy. If something like a pop cost 10-15 bucks they will risk it on the chance of it rising in value but something like Hikari pretty much takes that profitability away so people dont risk going for it.

I get that view to a certain extent. You can’t always collect for value though. If you aren’t collecting because you think something looks cool or enjoy it and only collect for value then you might be collecting for he wrong reasons.

CarlitaJuanita

Postby CarlitaJuanita » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:49 pm

dexiesmom wrote:
Westlos420 wrote:I think profit plays a big part on why people buy. If something like a pop cost 10-15 bucks they will risk it on the chance of it rising in value but something like Hikari pretty much takes that profitability away so people dont risk going for it.

I get that view to a certain extent. You can’t always collect for value though. If you aren’t collecting because you think something looks cool or enjoy it and only collect for value then you might be collecting for he wrong reasons.

My own feeling, people start a collection because it’s something they like. Then, value enters the picture, since no one collects with the hope it will go down in value. With that being said, I like my Hikari Bats, but I won’t expect the value to rise.

FuegoGlorious

Postby FuegoGlorious » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:49 pm

I don't hate hikari but honestly not bad priced for its size
:SW7a:

Killua916

Postby Killua916 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:01 pm

When I first went to vietnam I played with toys that were similar to hikaris. All one color. That being said I loved it I wish it got more love. I have 4 random Venom ones.

chrislinkouswvu13

Postby chrislinkouswvu13 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:56 am

I collect the Buzz Lightyear but agree too expensive to have a bunch
Hey, I’m Chris.

IG/Twitter: GhostGang1322

:freddy3: Image ImageImageImageImageImage Image Image

Teddyb84

Postby Teddyb84 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:29 pm

I just got into these there awesome
ImageIG Teddyb1984

CarlitaJuanita

Postby CarlitaJuanita » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:07 am

I really like them, but I think price point is an issue. When you can buy 3-4 Pops for the cost of 1 Hikari, it’s hard for collectors to be on board

dexiesmom

Postby dexiesmom » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:54 am

CarlitaJuanita wrote:
dexiesmom wrote:

My own feeling, people start a collection because it’s something they like. Then, value enters the picture, since no one collects with the hope it will go down in value. With that being said, I like my Hikari Bats, but I won’t expect the value to rise.

I guess it depends on the person. There are a lot of things in my collection that I know are probably worthless to most people, even other collectors, since they aren't popular anymore. Don't even know if they would sell for retail anymore. But I like the items and enjoy them so their value doesn't matter to me.

CarlitaJuanita

Postby CarlitaJuanita » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:56 pm

dexiesmom wrote:
CarlitaJuanita wrote:
dexiesmom wrote:I get that view to a certain extent. You can’t always collect for value though. If you aren’t collecting because you think something looks cool or enjoy it and only collect for value then you might be collecting for he wrong reasons.

I guess it depends on the person. There are a lot of things in my collection that I know are probably worthless to most people, even other collectors, since they aren't popular anymore. Don't even know if they would sell for retail anymore. But I like the items and enjoy them so their value doesn't matter to me.

I agree. I think it’s with any collection. Some will be higher and some will be lower. That’s the fun of a collection I think

FunkoAlphaBravo

Postby FunkoAlphaBravo » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:00 pm

That ship has sailed :(
Hi all! We’re Annie and Beto. We have been collecting since 2016
ImageImage
ImageImage

Return to “Hikari”