Actual blind box vs. Windowed boxes

Great things come in mysterious miniature or pint sized packages, but which great thing will it be? It's all a mystery until you open one. Then the fun begins.
sahens04

Actual blind box vs. Windowed boxes

Postby sahens04 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:52 pm

So some mystery Minis, or arguably small vinyls, have been coming in the windowed boxes vs. the regular blind boxes lately like the haunted mansion and the Disney 65th anniversary. I've not seen any of these in person, but there are some I've seen in fb groups that are offered both ways like the office and I think Retro toys.
The question is, which do you prefer? The windowed boxes or the blind box? I think both have positives and negatives, but I think I really like the windowed boxes more. Besides the obvious of being able to actually buy one of each that you want vs getting 10 and 8 being the same one (I know that's exaggerated lol), I do like that they are better protected so less boxes opened with random parts broken off, and like pops you can display either way (I tend to do a mix of in and out of box displays for a nice visual effect). This of course can lead to discussion on the ratios as well. What do y'all think?
:-k :-k :-k
Sabrina AKA sahens04/BrassOctopus04
Funklub #8049
Funatic of the Week: September 8, 2022
First Pop!: Dark World Loki 36
ISO: Loki button from blind bags, Sailor Saturn mini, Haunted Mansion mini protos, Vanellope Dorbz Ride Proto, other Wreck it Ralph themed protos
:freddy1:

mongoose12

Re: Actual blind box vs. Windowed boxes

Postby mongoose12 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:53 pm

Keep em blind...it’s part of the fun...and misery lol

lavery01
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby lavery01 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:52 pm

Don’t really care for the blind boxes, I always want to know what’s inside first. lol
Hi I'm Latricia \:D/

muscleheadfunkopop

Postby muscleheadfunkopop » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:43 am

I'm Team Blind. I like the mystery of not what you are getting.
Funko Funatic Shoutouts! #9
Fundays 2014◇2015◇2016◇2017◇2018◇2019◇2021V◇2022◇2023
FDO6 SF◇FDO7 Sackanda & LA◇FDO8 SF◇FDO9 Sackanda
Fright Night◇HQ Grand Opening◇Making Fun Movie Premiere◇FunKon Hollywood◇Fright Night II

Instagram: @muscleheadfunkopop #SODAWasted
Facebook: Iz Salazar

FireEmblemZack

Postby FireEmblemZack » Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:52 am

Depends on ratio in my opinion. If they are all 1/12 or 1/6 then I'd rather see them and choose my favorites. If there is a 1/72 for a set I really like then my curiosity will be peaked and it will make pulling it blind feel better
Image R.I.P. Buddy, my bestest friend

digithor

Postby digithor » Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:52 am

I like the mystery part of it, I've purchased many mystery minis since discovering them years ago.
SDCC 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
Fundays 2018, 2019, 2021, 2023
HQ Grand Opening, ECCC Night and meetup at HQ, Hollywood Grand Opening, World Premier Making fun
Horror fanatic, GiTD collector, Star Wars
ImageImageImageImage

lunarembrace

Postby lunarembrace » Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:07 am

I haven't collected any mystery minis that come in blind boxes. I've never really liked the style of most of the minis and I'd hate to have duplicates, though. I did, however, buy some of the windowed boxes because there were some I wanted. Like, Winnie the Pooh in pajamas was the only one from that set I wanted. Found it in store, so one and done. I did also collect the Disneyland 65th minis, but ordered all online, so it was basically a mystery. Cheshire Cat still eludes me, and I just can't bring myself to spend $30 on a mini.

I do get jealous of some of the mystery mini sets because there will be characters I want in Pop! form, but they seem to only come in those little blind boxes, and are never made into Pop!s.
Melissa

Boymom4

Postby Boymom4 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:59 am

FireEmblemZack wrote:Depends on ratio in my opinion. If they are all 1/12 or 1/6 then I'd rather see them and choose my favorites. If there is a 1/72 for a set I really like then my curiosity will be peaked and it will make pulling it blind feel better

I completely agree with you on this.

sylin

Postby sylin » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:07 am

Blind box, plz.

SpastikGrl

Postby SpastikGrl » Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:17 am

prefer blind boxes! The hunt is more fun

theraven00

Postby theraven00 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:39 pm

I'd prefer the window. I got burned out of buying the mystery boxes because of how many duplicates I was getting. At some point I figured it was better to buy the one or two I really want from a 3rd party vs searching, and buying, and getting a bunch that I didn't want or already had.

I will say that what I like about the Soda line is that I might still get duplicates while hunting for a chase, but it will be of a character I really like.
Poppin'

Dsho333

Postby Dsho333 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:51 pm

For me it's not so much of which I like better, its the shady practice from Funko of not announcing that mystery minis will become windowed versions. I wouldn't have bought a common case since I can buy just one of each from the windowed version, even the 1/72. Each series should be one or the other, not both, especially if they don't announce it will be both at the time of the first release. I understand they are trying to make as much money as possible, but hurting your collector base will hurt you more than the small amount of gains from casual buyers. I won't be buying anymore mystery minis at retail. So many people buy so many in hopes of a rare that they sell the commons so cheap.

buried_by_pops

Postby buried_by_pops » Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:42 pm

Dsho333 wrote:For me it's not so much of which I like better, its the shady practice from Funko of not announcing that mystery minis will become windowed versions. I wouldn't have bought a common case since I can buy just one of each from the windowed version, even the 1/72. Each series should be one or the other, not both, especially if they don't announce it will be both at the time of the first release. I understand they are trying to make as much money as possible, but hurting your collector base will hurt you more than the small amount of gains from casual buyers. I won't be buying anymore mystery minis at retail. So many people buy so many in hopes of a rare that they sell the commons so cheap.

Spot on. I can work with either system, but not both for the same product, like they did with The Office minis. I see the appeal of windows, but I think you have to say goodbye to the really rare pieces if you have them. Rare pieces only work if you have super common pieces to offset them. 1/6 cannon fodder just won't make sense in windowed boxes (Hot Topic won't be happy with 10 duplicates dusting on the shelf in the same way that a consumer will ignore them while basking in the glow of their precious chase), but then again, I don't think any figure should have a ratio lower than 1/12, window or mystery. Another thing to consider, because I have run into this sort of thing before, is that if they are in windows, those really rare pieces might not ever make it onto the retail shelves. I imagine it would be pretty tempting for some kid making minimum wage at Gamestop or Hot Topic to pop it onto eBay for a little extra cash if they didn't have to do any work to find it.

mongoose12

Postby mongoose12 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:48 pm

SpastikGrl wrote:prefer blind boxes! The hunt is more fun

that’s what I’ve been saying, the hunt is key to the game. it’s supposed to be hard in a way, that’s what gets me going at least lol

chincoteague1

Postby chincoteague1 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:29 pm

mongoose12 wrote:

that’s what I’ve been saying, the hunt is key to the game. it’s supposed to be hard in a way, that’s what gets me going at least lol

I agree.

Dsho333

Postby Dsho333 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:35 pm

buried_by_pops wrote:
Dsho333 wrote:For me it's not so much of which I like better, its the shady practice from Funko of not announcing that mystery minis will become windowed versions. I wouldn't have bought a common case since I can buy just one of each from the windowed version, even the 1/72. Each series should be one or the other, not both, especially if they don't announce it will be both at the time of the first release. I understand they are trying to make as much money as possible, but hurting your collector base will hurt you more than the small amount of gains from casual buyers. I won't be buying anymore mystery minis at retail. So many people buy so many in hopes of a rare that they sell the commons so cheap.

Spot on. I can work with either system, but not both for the same product, like they did with The Office minis. I see the appeal of windows, but I think you have to say goodbye to the really rare pieces if you have them. Rare pieces only work if you have super common pieces to offset them. 1/6 cannon fodder just won't make sense in windowed boxes (Hot Topic won't be happy with 10 duplicates dusting on the shelf in the same way that a consumer will ignore them while basking in the glow of their precious chase), but then again, I don't think any figure should have a ratio lower than 1/12, window or mystery. Another thing to consider, because I have run into this sort of thing before, is that if they are in windows, those really rare pieces might not ever make it onto the retail shelves. I imagine it would be pretty tempting for some kid making minimum wage at Gamestop or Hot Topic to pop it onto eBay for a little extra cash if they didn't have to do any work to find it.

With the office minis, they are already so common with the windows that the price will drop so far it won't even be worth it to flip these

RogueSolo
HoF 2021 & CotM
HoF 2021 & CotM

Postby RogueSolo » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:40 pm

Dsho333 wrote:With the office minis, they are already so common with the windows that the price will drop so far it won't even be worth it to flip these

Did you... did you just complain that you can't flip something? Here? #-o
Marty
Funklub member #1093
1,000 Minis and counting!

buried_by_pops

Postby buried_by_pops » Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:41 pm

RogueSolo wrote:
Dsho333 wrote:With the office minis, they are already so common with the windows that the price will drop so far it won't even be worth it to flip these

What else are you supposed to do with five extra Michael Scott minis? Throw them away? Is it even flipping if you sell them for less than retail in the hopes of getting back even some of the money Funko forced you to waste on them during your chase?

Dsho333

Postby Dsho333 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:01 pm

RogueSolo wrote:

I'm not flipping haha I'm saying for the people who buy to flip, they won't make much of a profit on these

Dsho333

Postby Dsho333 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:03 pm

buried_by_pops wrote:
RogueSolo wrote:

What else are you supposed to do with five extra Michael Scott minis? Throw them away? Is it even flipping if you sell them for less than retail in the hopes of getting back even some of the money Funko forced you to waste on them during your chase?

I wasn't saying I'm flipping but yeah it sucks knowing now I couldve just waited to buy all 12 with no dupes

SpastikGrl

Postby SpastikGrl » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:35 pm

chincoteague1 wrote:
mongoose12 wrote:

I agree.

If there is no hunt, then I generally am not interested!

mongoose12

Postby mongoose12 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:50 pm

SpastikGrl wrote:
chincoteague1 wrote:
mongoose12 wrote:

I agree.

its hard to explain or put into words the thrill that follows landing a sweet rare after a day's long hunt. its totally worth it.

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:02 pm

Stay as blinds!

SpastikGrl

Postby SpastikGrl » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:23 pm

mongoose12 wrote:
SpastikGrl wrote:
chincoteague1 wrote:
I agree.

its hard to explain or put into words the thrill that follows landing a sweet rare after a day's long hunt. its totally worth it.

Agreed!!

Mr Yac

Postby Mr Yac » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:08 pm

mongoose12 wrote:its hard to explain or put into words the thrill that follows landing a sweet rare after a day's long hunt. its totally worth it.

perhaps that is true, but it is easy to explain pulling your 5th dupe of a figure you didn't want in the first place because of god awful ratios. it aint worth it!

keyese

Postby keyese » Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:54 pm

I sometimes wish the windowed ones would have cooler packaging so that I could stay "in box" but I guess pops don't really have fancy displays usually so I guess that's not much different.
AKA ElizabethKeyes on Twitch or keyese on Discord :freddy2:
ISO Mystery Minis!
Lord of the Rings: Eowyn (HT) and Lurtz (HT)
Avengers Endgame: 1/72 Hulk, 1/72 Hawkeye, 1/24 Black Widow (all Walmart exclusives)

willbfree

Postby willbfree » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:10 pm

If blindboxes remain, Funko needs to use shrink wrap that has the Funko logo on it, to stop people from resealing boxes after pillaging them.

Dsho333

Postby Dsho333 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:40 pm

willbfree wrote:If blindboxes remain, Funko needs to use shrink wrap that has the Funko logo on it, to stop people from resealing boxes after pillaging them.

What do you mean? They already have shrink-wrap

willbfree

Postby willbfree » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:50 pm

Dsho333 wrote:
willbfree wrote:If blindboxes remain, Funko needs to use shrink wrap that has the Funko logo on it, to stop people from resealing boxes after pillaging them.

They use clear shrink wrap. So people who are after the rare ones can (and do) buy a bunch and then reseal the ones that are not worth anything using home shrink-wrap devices (or hair dryer) and clear shrink wrap, and return those to the store.

So I am suggesting a security feature. If Funko used plastic wrap that had the Funko name and logo repeating all over it, then people would have a much harder time re-shrink-wrapping and returning them because it would be obvious that they are not in their original wrap.

willbfree

Postby willbfree » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:52 pm

Though I suppose then people on ebay would sell bootleg Funko-branded shrinkwrap in addition to bootleg "exclusive" stickers.

Still worth doing, to stop some of them.

Dsho333

Postby Dsho333 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:22 pm

willbfree wrote:
Dsho333 wrote:

They use clear shrink wrap. So people who are after the rare ones can (and do) buy a bunch and then reseal the ones that are not worth anything using home shrink-wrap devices (or hair dryer) and clear shrink wrap, and return those to the store.

So I am suggesting a security feature. If Funko used plastic wrap that had the Funko name and logo repeating all over it, then people would have a much harder time re-shrink-wrapping and returning them because it would be obvious that they are not in their original wrap.

Gotcha, haven't seen that happen before I guess. For the most part people just weigh the minis, no need to open them.

billydarector

Postby billydarector » Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:18 am

I bet we spend all this money on The Mandalorian and Princess blind bags only to be found at Five Below a couple months later in windowed boxes. lol
ISO: Rare Mystery Minis, Retro Freddys
Over 1200 Mystery Minis and growing
Image Image

:freddy3:

Maserati777

Postby Maserati777 » Wed May 12, 2021 1:11 pm

I prefer blind boxes and honestly don’t consider window boxes to be blind boxes.

There’s definitely nothing like going into a store and finding 4 random boxes on the shelf mixed with other set boxes and then pulling 2 1/144 figures from those 4 boxes.

krayziekmf

Postby krayziekmf » Mon May 17, 2021 12:00 pm

Maserati777 wrote:I prefer blind boxes and honestly don’t consider window boxes to be blind boxes.

There’s definitely nothing like going into a store and finding 4 random boxes on the shelf mixed with other set boxes and then pulling 2 1/144 figures from those 4 boxes.

Or buying 4 blind boxes and getting 3 of the same freaking common...

Greymom

Postby Greymom » Tue May 18, 2021 1:36 am

Despite the frustration of getting multiple dupes, I like the blind boxes better. Not knowing for sure what I'm getting is part of the fun!

Return to “Blind Bags”