Funko Soda Figures!

Included with each SODA can is a 4.25” vinyl figure and a collectible disc both with a 1 in 6 chase variant!
digithor

Re: Funko Soda Figures!

Postby digithor » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:05 am

Mr Yac wrote:
RSVHockeyDad wrote:
Did they say anything about if Canada would get the International Cans?

i doubt it, probably for overseas.

Probably true there even though I laugh about not getting any of those.
SDCC 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
Fundays 2018, 2019, 2021, 2023
HQ Grand Opening, ECCC Night and meetup at HQ, Hollywood Grand Opening, World Premier Making fun
Horror fanatic, GiTD collector, Star Wars
ImageImageImageImage

Katers

Postby Katers » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:12 am

RSVHockeyDad wrote:
Katers wrote:
digithor wrote:
"Some random company order"ah the fun ones, you could also put some glitter in that gold paint for some extra ...pop. lol

Oh, I like the glitter idea, thanks for that!

It may be a perfectly fine normal company, it just wasn't one of the ones I've heard of / used before. It let may pay through paypal though, so I figure I'm covered through the pre-order period in case they don't come through for me. And I'll try at Hollywood when they come out, as well, and hope I get lucky there!

I've seen a lot of cool customs that people are doing ... most recently one that someone painted The Flash metallic paint with a 3D printed lightning bolt ... it look fantastic! It's fun to paint extra commons \:D/

Oh, I saw that! It looked so cool, really made me want to go out and get some metallic paints!

I haven't gotten into customs mostly because I'm generally so terrible at arts and crafts. But I think with these that I'll have to give it a try. I've generally been pretty lucky with how many extra commons I have, thank goodness, but some of the must-haves lately, I've upped how many I usually order, so I know it's coming! I foresee a stop at Michaels in my near future! \:D/
Image ImageImage Image

Stat32111

Postby Stat32111 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:28 am

mohawkjones wrote:
Sonic77 wrote:
theraven00 wrote:Funko Europe tweeted an image of most of these new releases, but the counts are different and has a Funko international logo on the can. Appears to be the same figures. So basically the LE (and common/chase) count mean nothing now. Horrible move, in my opinion. Definitely going to make me think twice about any future purchases.

Ya totally agree, very disappointed on the LE numbers now. Although still won't take away from the look of the Sodas and will make the 1st series Sodas that much more valuable.

I guess it comes down to this, do you collect them because you really like the figures/designs or because of some sort sense of value/exclusivity that comes with a number on the side of the can? I dig the style, funky character selection and small footprint they have, I do not care about a number on the side of the can or any sense of I have it and others do not. I am very happy to see more available to the US market and hopefully now the local mom & pop shop (and fellow Funatic) that I prefer to support can get them more reliably. The 50/50 split between USA/international was rough for the small accounts with EE, Hot Topic/Box Lunch, Gamestop, etc. soaking up so much of the allocation on each release.

The more the merrier in my mind. This keeps the fun in it and lets more people join the party.

But a lot of other people collect for the exclusivity. They are not wrong for that either.
Last edited by Stat32111 on Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Instagram- calebshiny

digithor

Postby digithor » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:39 am

supertoygiant wrote:The Soda line is selling so well, It is becoming very hard to get them even at pre-sale. :(

Doesn't seem to be slowing down anytime soon either.
HQ Grand Opening, ECCC Night and meetup at HQ, Hollywood Grand Opening, World Premier Making fun
ImageImageImageImage

Squird
Hall of Fame Class of 2012

Postby Squird » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:59 am

mohawkjones wrote:
Sonic77 wrote:
theraven00 wrote:Funko Europe tweeted an image of most of these new releases, but the counts are different and has a Funko international logo on the can. Appears to be the same figures. So basically the LE (and common/chase) count mean nothing now. Horrible move, in my opinion. Definitely going to make me think twice about any future purchases.

Ya totally agree, very disappointed on the LE numbers now. Although still won't take away from the look of the Sodas and will make the 1st series Sodas that much more valuable.

I guess it comes down to this, do you collect them because you really like the figures/designs or because of some sort sense of value/exclusivity that comes with a number on the side of the can? I dig the style, funky character selection and small footprint they have, I do not care about a number on the side of the can or any sense of I have it and others do not. I am very happy to see more available to the US market and hopefully now the local mom & pop shop (and fellow Funatic) that I prefer to support can get them more reliably. The 50/50 split between USA/international was rough for the small accounts with EE, Hot Topic/Box Lunch, Gamestop, etc. soaking up so much of the allocation on each release.

The more the merrier in my mind. This keeps the fun in it and lets more people join the party.

I'm with Mr. Mohawk on this one. The exclusivity is fun (and probably has more to do with the popularity of Soda than it should) but you should collect because you like and enjoy the thing entirely on its own. That being said, I would like to see editions stay under 10K pieces. That's my upper limit for 'limited edition' on a mass market toy/collectible. I'm okay with foreign market releases. They've done it with Pops,they're not going to stop. At least the can art will be different. Personally, I kind of hope they do something for the Asian market with Japanese text on the can. Would look cool.
Funklub: 11181

HockeyDad

Postby HockeyDad » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:30 pm

Squird wrote:
mohawkjones wrote:
Sonic77 wrote:

I'm with Mr. Mohawk on this one. The exclusivity is fun (and probably has more to do with the popularity of Soda than it should) but you should collect because you like and enjoy the thing entirely on its own. That being said, I would like to see editions stay under 10K pieces. That's my upper limit for 'limited edition' on a mass market toy/collectible. I'm okay with foreign market releases. They've done it with Pops,they're not going to stop. At least the can art will be different. Personally, I kind of hope they do something for the Asian market with Japanese text on the can. Would look cool.

I like that idea with Japanese text on the can! If Mike is still driving the soda line, then that doesn't seem like too far of a reach right?
I'm Greg. My son is "RSVHockeyDude". We collect Funko products together.
Pop! Count = 3133
Pop! Pez Count = 197
Funko Soda (My New Favorite): 762 different Sodas including Intl Versions
Other Funko Products (Hikari, Vynl, Wobblers, etc) = 87
Proto Count = 14 Pop (Mostly NHL; a little of Battlestar Galactica, Star Wars, Disney, The Simpsons); 4 Soda (NYCC Freddy)

emoagogo
HoF 2023 & Spirit
HoF 2023 & Spirit

Postby emoagogo » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:13 pm

Anyone else feel like they are just throwing darts at the wall when it comes to the characters being chosen for sodas? Its not necessarily a bad thing. The characters from each franchise are just kind of all over the place.

Emo or Emilio is fine.
ISO: Pixar Protos
IG: emoagogo

popfanboy
HOF 2022 & Spirit
HOF 2022 & Spirit

Postby popfanboy » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:41 pm

emoagogo wrote:Anyone else feel like they are just throwing darts at the wall when it comes to the characters being chosen for sodas? Its not necessarily a bad thing. The characters from each franchise are just kind of all over the place.

That is exactly what it feels like, and I LOVE it! lol I never know what characters from what obscure licenses will show up next.
Tanner
I'm an artist who dreams of working for Funko one day.
Check out some of my drawings!
Follow me on Instagram @popfanboy
ISO Any Bat Boy, Oswald the Lucky Rabbit, or Rocketeer protos and the Slimer Soda proto!

Mr Yac

Postby Mr Yac » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:31 pm

popfanboy wrote:
emoagogo wrote:Anyone else feel like they are just throwing darts at the wall when it comes to the characters being chosen for sodas? Its not necessarily a bad thing. The characters from each franchise are just kind of all over the place.

That is exactly what it feels like, and I LOVE it! lol I never know what characters from what obscure licenses will show up next.

i'm fine with it too, lesser known characters have fans too lol

Imagery
Hall of Fame Class of 2022

Postby Imagery » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:11 pm

RSVHockeyDad wrote:
Imagery wrote:Really digging all the new Soda announced today. Was a surprising mix of previously announced characters and new ones that I also must have. Hoping to find them locally when the time comes

Did they say anything about if Canada would get the International Cans?

I tried asking during the last live, but they misinterpreted my question
Funklub member 2016000004714 a.k.a. Sarah
ISO: Ursula, 1/24 Freddy Mad Hatter; NBC Zero Mopeez; Despicable Me 3 Target exclusive PSHs; Freddy Flux Winky and Smiley; HT & Walmart exclusive Disney Villains MMs
Funko events attended: 2016 Fright Night; 2017 & 2018 FDO — Canada; Funkon 2021; Fundays Teams 2017 — Justice League, 2018 — Goonies, 2019 — Loko Moko, 2021 — Proto Punks, 2022 — Pop Protectors

HockeyDad

Postby HockeyDad » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:44 pm

Mr Yac wrote:
popfanboy wrote:

i'm fine with it too, lesser known characters have fans too lol

I feel like they're hitting the bigger/consistent characters; but then for some lines, they're doing stuff that we haven't seen before (or new licenses like Super Chicken ... a personal favorite of mine).
Pop! Count = 3133
Pop! Pez Count = 197
Proto Count = 14 Pop (Mostly NHL; a little of Battlestar Galactica, Star Wars, Disney, The Simpsons); 4 Soda (NYCC Freddy)

theraven00

Postby theraven00 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:21 am

I'd say there's been a pretty good mix of established popular characters (Batman, Joker, TMNT) and more niche ones as well. I also like the anticipation of waiting for other characters from a franchise as they're slowly released (TMNT, MOTU, Jetsons, Scooby Doo, etc.).
Poppin'

digithor

Postby digithor » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:05 am

theraven00 wrote:

I'd say there's been a pretty good mix of established popular characters (Batman, Joker, TMNT) and more niche ones as well. I also like the anticipation of waiting for other characters from a franchise as they're slowly released (TMNT, MOTU, Jetsons, Scooby Doo, etc.).

Yeah, I like how they've gone on a large range of characters so far. Some that have been really unexpected.
ImageImageImageImage

mohawkjones

Postby mohawkjones » Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:51 pm

RSVHockeyDad wrote:I've seen a lot of cool customs that people are doing ... most recently one that someone painted The Flash metallic paint with a 3D printed lightning bolt ... it look fantastic! It's fun to paint extra commons \:D/

I saw that Flash, really slick looking. A buddy gave me a 3D printer, haven't had a chance to play with it yet but now I am getting really curious to do so...
Hi, I am Shawn. Iron Man junkie, Soda-holic and Hikari addict. Funklub member #14300/01057

mohawkjones

Postby mohawkjones » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:13 pm

theraven00 wrote:
mohawkjones wrote:
Mr Yac wrote:

Primarily because of this (note the different LE size by can type for same figure):
https://www.funko.com/blog/article/new-funko-soda-collectibles-with-an-international-twist
The PIAB is an educated guess based upon the limited run of wave 1, the distant pre-order date (why would a move between warehouses require a 5 month lead for pre-order?), and the fact many of those figures have been sold out everywhere for quite a while.

Okay, I did see that, but how is this lying to us? They are openly saying they are now doing USA release of X# and international release of X#, seems pretty straight forward to me.

Again, PIAB is the only one offering the original wave up again. So it would seem to be something to do with their stock and unique to them. Assuming it's a decent stock transfer (more than just a few cases of Soda figures) I'd be shipping it by boat/freight and not by air. Considering the current global shipping timelines and well known delays I'd probably be generous with my lead time on pre-orders as well. I'd rather it arrive early and happily surprise people rather than run late and create bad vibes, we know how impatient we can be as collectors.

Personally I think all this uproar over the International Soda can thing is silly. I am all for the more the merrier approach. Not looking for any conspiracy with the can numbers, happy to know my local shops will have a better chance of getting stock on each new release. Glad Soda is doing well for Funko and may get the support behind it that so many other series could never maintain (Hikari, VYNL, Dorbz, Blox, etc...).
Hi, I am Shawn. Iron Man junkie, Soda-holic and Hikari addict. Funklub member #14300/01057

mohawkjones

Postby mohawkjones » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:20 pm

Did you ever see the episode of South Park where Cartman rides his bigwheel to L.A. to give the writers of Family Guy a piece of his mind? When he gets there it's just a big aquarium full of beach balls with pop culture references on them and a couple manatees. The manatees bump a few of the beach balls and that's the plot/script for the next episode. I am convinced that is the same method Funko is using to decide the Soda release strategy. :roflmao:

Mr Yac

Postby Mr Yac » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:04 pm

mohawkjones wrote:Okay, I did see that, but how is this lying to us? They are openly saying they are now doing USA release of X# and international release of X#, seems pretty straight forward to me.

well it's lying because ya know, they lied. they told us X Soda would have an edition size of X and then when the line proved popular they essentially said "well we had our fingers crossed behind our backs, so we can make as many as we want now". a lot of you guys seem to be missing the point here, i could care less if they make 100,000 more Grape Apes, but if the numbers mean nothing and they can just reissue them in different places than just get rid of the numbers.

mohawkjones

Postby mohawkjones » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:30 pm

Mr Yac wrote:well it's lying because ya know, they lied. they told us X Soda would have an edition size of X and then when the line proved popular they essentially said "well we had our fingers crossed behind our backs, so we can make as many as we want now". a lot of you guys seem to be missing the point here, i could care less if they make 100,000 more Grape Apes, but if the numbers mean nothing and they can just reissue them in different places than just get rid of the numbers.

I guess I just see it and the definition of lying differently. They didn't go back and retro reissue older waves, they started the international variants with the announcement of a new wave. They put a press release out same day stating the plan and explaining the differences in the cans. They are still putting numbers on the cans, just now we know how many are hitting the USA vs international where in the past we didn't. Maybe it puts a few more total units out into the open market, cool. Not sure how that qualifies as a "lie".They haven't yet announced international variant reissues for older waves, if they did I would get the accusations of lies.

Personally, I do not care at all about numbers so I would be all for removing the numbers as a whole but I get that people do like the idea of exclusivity so more power to them.

To me accusations of lying is a big deal, even toward a large mega-corporation. If you are going to call someone out for lying I believe there needs to be a concrete lie to back it up. Just my 2 cents on the subject. Agree to disagree.

Mr Yac

Postby Mr Yac » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:43 pm

mohawkjones wrote:Agree to disagree.

that works for me bud. we're all Funko fans here , we just don't see everything the same all the time :)

mohawkjones

Postby mohawkjones » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:03 am

Mr Yac wrote:
mohawkjones wrote:Agree to disagree.

that works for me bud. we're all Funko fans here , we just don't see everything the same all the time :)

:thumbleft:

Katers

Postby Katers » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:46 am

lol Yes! That's how most of these feel, though we do get some that make sense (at least, to me!). I'm sure there's some master plan somewhere, and the further we get into it, the more it will make sense. I'm guessing we're just not there yet! But I look forward to continuing to try to understand the plan! :cheers:
Image ImageImage Image

Katers

Postby Katers » Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:05 am

digithor wrote:
theraven00 wrote:

Yeah, I like how they've gone on a large range of characters so far. Some that have been really unexpected.

Seems like in each wave, there's 1-2 characters that we all kinda nod our heads and go 'yeah, makes sense'. And then 2-3 that I never would've guessed or even thought of! Really fun to watch the waves as they roll out and see the reactions!
Image ImageImage Image

HockeyDad

Postby HockeyDad » Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:49 am

mohawkjones wrote:
RSVHockeyDad wrote:I've seen a lot of cool customs that people are doing ... most recently one that someone painted The Flash metallic paint with a 3D printed lightning bolt ... it look fantastic! It's fun to paint extra commons \:D/

I saw that Flash, really slick looking. A buddy gave me a 3D printer, haven't had a chance to play with it yet but now I am getting really curious to do so...

You have to share a photo if you try a soda or pop ... :)
Pop! Count = 3133
Pop! Pez Count = 197

digithor

Postby digithor » Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:09 am

Could of had a soda or two with the kong/godzilla movie.
ImageImageImageImage

mohawkjones

Postby mohawkjones » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:26 am

digithor wrote:Could of had a soda or two with the kong/godzilla movie.

Old school classic Kong & Godzilla would be super fun in the Soda style.

Mr Yac

Postby Mr Yac » Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:01 pm

mohawkjones wrote:Old school classic Kong & Godzilla would be super fun in the Soda style.

with their respective robot versions as chases!

Squird

Postby Squird » Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:07 pm

Not so much throwin' darts, but cherry picking. I think it will help keep interest if you have to collect all the Ghostbusters over 5 waves instead of one. And if you're buying the chases, keeps you from going broke.

I like what they're doing with them so far.
Funklub: 11181

Dsho333

Postby Dsho333 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:03 pm

Squird wrote:

Not so much throwin' darts, but cherry picking. I think it will help keep interest if you have to collect all the Ghostbusters over 5 waves instead of one. And if you're buying the chases, keeps you from going broke.

I agree, the way they are doing it is right, keeps you interested for longer and you might pick up a couple that you normally wouldn't have. Also like how they will announce some but when they release a few surprise ones will be available.

mohawkjones

Postby mohawkjones » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:26 pm

Mr Yac wrote:
mohawkjones wrote:Old school classic Kong & Godzilla would be super fun in the Soda style.

Hell yeah!

digithor

Postby digithor » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:40 pm

Mr Yac wrote:

There's an idea for the chases of the old school ones.
ImageImageImageImage

Imagery

Postby Imagery » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:43 pm

Dsho333 wrote:
Squird wrote:

I agree, the way they are doing it is right, keeps you interested for longer and you might pick up a couple that you normally wouldn't have. Also like how they will announce some but when they release a few surprise ones will be available.

I do appreciate how some of the characters are more niche vs. others that are more mainstream. It definitely keeps you guessing and can introduce people to fandoms they may not have been interested in otherwise
ISO: Ursula, 1/24 Freddy Mad Hatter; NBC Zero Mopeez; Despicable Me 3 Target exclusive PSHs; Freddy Flux Winky and Smiley; HT & Walmart exclusive Disney Villains MMs
Funko events attended: 2016 Fright Night; 2017 & 2018 FDO — Canada; Funkon 2021; Fundays Teams 2017 — Justice League, 2018 — Goonies, 2019 — Loko Moko, 2021 — Proto Punks, 2022 — Pop Protectors

Imagery

Postby Imagery » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:45 pm

It just occurred to me how amazing a Crow Soda would look. I really hope this happens

FireEmblemZack

Postby FireEmblemZack » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:53 am

Imagery wrote:It just occurred to me how amazing a Crow Soda would look. I really hope this happens

Oooooooooo, glow chase? Bloody chase? Wet chase? No face paint chase? Would be very epic either way
Image R.I.P. Buddy, my bestest friend

HockeyDad

Postby HockeyDad » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:58 am

Hope Everyone Got what they needed in the Funko Shop release today for Wondercon! [-o< [-o< [-o<
Pop! Count = 3133
Pop! Pez Count = 197

Imagery

Postby Imagery » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:00 am

FireEmblemZack wrote:
Imagery wrote:It just occurred to me how amazing a Crow Soda would look. I really hope this happens

Oooooooooo, glow chase? Bloody chase? Wet chase? No face paint chase? Would be very epic either way

I think Glow since it'll match the Pop. Though a Eric Draven and Crow version would likely be asking too much, that'd be amazing.

FireEmblemZack

Postby FireEmblemZack » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:20 am

RSVHockeyDad wrote:Hope Everyone Got what they needed in the Funko Shop release today for Wondercon! [-o< [-o< [-o<

Yep! Almost got Sleestak, was at payment and clicked submit and it sold out. Luckily still got Rocketeer and the others! Sleestak I will be patient and just get the common.
Image R.I.P. Buddy, my bestest friend

Rice71

Postby Rice71 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:56 am

Sleestak sold out when I was checking out. Was able to get black widow and coco.
ImageImage
ImageImage

philipali

Postby philipali » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:38 pm

Wondercon was awesome! Got Sleestak, Rocket and Gruesome! Now hoping to get lucky with a chase haul
ImageImageImage
Image ImageImage

muscleheadfunkopop

Postby muscleheadfunkopop » Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:00 pm

OMG....YES. The chase would have to be GITD.
Funko Funatic Shoutouts! #9
Fundays 2014◇2015◇2016◇2017◇2018◇2019◇2021V◇2022◇2023
FDO6 SF◇FDO7 Sackanda & LA◇FDO8 SF◇FDO9 Sackanda
Fright Night◇HQ Grand Opening◇Making Fun Movie Premiere◇FunKon Hollywood◇Fright Night II

Instagram: @muscleheadfunkopop #SODAWasted
Facebook: Iz Salazar

muscleheadfunkopop

Postby muscleheadfunkopop » Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:11 pm

philipali wrote:Wondercon was awesome! Got Sleestak, Rocket and Gruesome! Now hoping to get lucky with a chase haul

Good Luck :thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright:
Funko Funatic Shoutouts! #9
Fundays 2014◇2015◇2016◇2017◇2018◇2019◇2021V◇2022◇2023
FDO6 SF◇FDO7 Sackanda & LA◇FDO8 SF◇FDO9 Sackanda
Fright Night◇HQ Grand Opening◇Making Fun Movie Premiere◇FunKon Hollywood◇Fright Night II

Instagram: @muscleheadfunkopop #SODAWasted
Facebook: Iz Salazar

Return to “Soda”