Die Cast? How do we feel about them?

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
Elewitt2022

Re: Die Cast? How do we feel about them?

Postby Elewitt2022 » Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:49 am

Loki437 wrote:That unpainted Thor looks incredible!

I thought so too. Glad I am not the only one. Most people do not seem to like the chases, but I actually think this one looks great all silver. Something about the deep shadow lines.
Instagram: @suplexrd

:freddy3:

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:20 pm

I can't wait to see more!

Spiffythedog

Postby Spiffythedog » Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:36 pm

I'm interested but can't seem to convince myself to get one on account of the price. But I could probably be swayed if I actually got to see/hold one in person. I have some die cast designer art figures that are pretty darn cool.
You can call me Spiff ;)
I collect Star Wars, mini things, cute things, and FRIENDS!

Leechinyuan

Postby Leechinyuan » Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:19 pm

Karubin wrote:
heymrosario wrote:
Karubin wrote:
It does look that way, It is a lazy chase. I thought it was a chase trend for SW die-cast, but I guess everything will be like this.

Given Ironman and Captain America didn't have a chase, they should have left Thor the same without a chase...

Honestly, if the Chase was a bit scuffed up or even with some patina accent colors, I'd totally get the chase. I'll probably just stick to the common :-#

I think everyone is hoping the common. lol

I also think the chase needs to be bit more unique like what u suggest....patina...that will be very nice.

Pop count : 175
Yes i'm newbie :compress:

BestDadEver

Postby BestDadEver » Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:44 pm

I love the look and weight of these diecast pops but the price hurts a bit. I dont mind for the most part but when my kids want one or if my wife finds out that Im getting a few of these as they come out at 50 a pop no pun intended, its a hard sell sometimes.
Image Image

heymrosario
SCCA 2023
SCCA 2023

Postby heymrosario » Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:26 pm

BestDadEver wrote:I love the look and weight of these diecast pops but the price hurts a bit. I dont mind for the most part but when my kids want one or if my wife finds out that Im getting a few of these as they come out at 50 a pop no pun intended, its a hard sell sometimes.

It's definitely a hefty price and if they're adding a chase element, I think it would be better to do something completely different and extravagant than just a metal molding of the figure. It's gonna be a tough sell for sure!

Hey there, I'm Marc! (•◡•)
Collector since '14 • Photographer • Designer
Follow me on Instagram: @heymrosario

squidward

Postby squidward » Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:36 pm

I really like the die cast Pops. I don't have all of them but I do have Captain America, Boba Fett, Darth Vader.
The only thing that I would suggest a change is the design of the chases. The all grey design for the chases has me hoping for the common because I prefer the design.
Member of TUFF. Attended: Fundays 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, Virtual 2021, 2022. HQ Grand Opening. Hollywood Grand Opening. Making Fun Premiere. Funkon 1 & 2. Fright Night 1. Multiple SDCC, NYCC, ECCC, Fugitive Parties. Lover of Funko Artist Sketches.

BestDadEver

Postby BestDadEver » Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:06 am

heymrosario wrote:
BestDadEver wrote:I love the look and weight of these diecast pops but the price hurts a bit. I dont mind for the most part but when my kids want one or if my wife finds out that Im getting a few of these as they come out at 50 a pop no pun intended, its a hard sell sometimes.

It's definitely a hefty price and if they're adding a chase element, I think it would be better to do something completely different and extravagant than just a metal molding of the figure. It's gonna be a tough sell for sure!

haha yeah that chase is good and bad for the wallet thats for sure. I thought 50 was bad but then you find youself spending 100 for that chase gamble. I do love that it comes in a case and all, just glad they dont get released as offten as regular pops.
Image Image

aprilyoufools

Postby aprilyoufools » Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:11 am

I love the way they look and the clear cases are amazing. Other than a die-cast Freddy, it’s difficult to think of a definitive fictional character or real-life person that would be a must-have in die-cast POP! form since we collect a little bit of everything. Maybe if there were some musicians or music entertainers, those would complement our record collection.
she/they • ARMY | MOA | Bunnies/Tokki | FEARNOT

heymrosario
SCCA 2023
SCCA 2023

Postby heymrosario » Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:09 am

aprilyoufools wrote:I love the way they look and the clear cases are amazing. Other than a die-cast Freddy, it’s difficult to think of a definitive fictional character or real-life person that would be a must-have in die-cast POP! form since we collect a little bit of everything. Maybe if there were some musicians or music entertainers, those would complement our record collection.

Oh, you have a great point!! I didn't even think about Freddy as a Die-cast figure!! Now that, I'd be chasing chases for days lol I'm trying to stick to Marvel characters, but I don't know why I dipped my toes in the DC characters lol It's hefty and I'm still struggling to display them #-o

Hey there, I'm Marc! (•◡•)
Collector since '14 • Photographer • Designer
Follow me on Instagram: @heymrosario

aprilyoufools

Postby aprilyoufools » Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:59 am

heymrosario wrote:
aprilyoufools wrote:I love the way they look and the clear cases are amazing. Other than a die-cast Freddy, it’s difficult to think of a definitive fictional character or real-life person that would be a must-have in die-cast POP! form since we collect a little bit of everything. Maybe if there were some musicians or music entertainers, those would complement our record collection.

Oh, you have a great point!! I didn't even think about Freddy as a Die-cast figure!! Now that, I'd be chasing chases for days lol I'm trying to stick to Marvel characters, but I don't know why I dipped my toes in the DC characters lol It's hefty and I'm still struggling to display them #-o

In another thread, there was a discussion of whether or not we’d get a die-cast Freddy at Fundays, or when else would we see one. :-k

I can see why you'd wanna dabble in the die-cast DC figures when the clear cases look so good. And they ship so nicely with the double box and the protective foam. At least they don't take significantly more space on the shelf than a standard-sized vinyl POP! in-box would, compared to the deluxe, 6" or 10" POPs, Rides, Towns, Moments, etc.
she/they • ARMY | MOA | Bunnies/Tokki | FEARNOT

runtodere

Postby runtodere » Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:24 am

aprilyoufools wrote:
heymrosario wrote:

In another thread, there was a discussion of whether or not we’d get a die-cast Freddy at Fundays, or when else would we see one. :-k

I can see why you'd wanna dabble in the die-cast DC figures when the clear cases look so good. And they ship so nicely with the double box and the protective foam. At least they don't take significantly more space on the shelf than a standard-sized vinyl POP! in-box would, compared to the deluxe, 6" or 10" POPs, Rides, Towns, Moments, etc.

i like the die cast for the reason specifically that you stated - they aren't the giant oversize but still feel and look premium. Love that

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:56 am

I want a diecast Jumbo Juggernaut! HA!

rfranklin

Postby rfranklin » Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:09 pm

I personally love the diecast pops. They look amazing. But don't really care for the chase at the moment unless they change them. Hoping to see some musicians in the future.

Stitch626

Postby Stitch626 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:19 pm

I hate that I really really like them haha. They look so nice in person. Toysrus here in Canada had the Vader one the other day. Hopefully they receive more of them down the line. It was much cheaper buying it there than having to pay for the dollar conversion, shipping, cross border services/fees..etc.
ImageImage
ImageImage. Image.

jagpop

Postby jagpop » Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:57 pm

I debated whether to try to go complete on the die casts. I was missing Boba Fett and WW. Now that my friend gifted them to me, I think I'm all in. Then again, I don't know the Chases and those cost a pretty penny. What to do...

I am not in danger, I am the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!

Darkhulk

Postby Darkhulk » Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:33 pm

I like to them. Its like they are a premium pop. It what they should do for an special edition pops. Also I think they should stop with the monotone steel chases. Just go with a shiny chrome paint for chases.

hpellot

Postby hpellot » Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:20 pm

jagpop wrote:I debated whether to try to go complete on the die casts. I was missing Boba Fett and WW. Now that my friend gifted them to me, I think I'm all in. Then again, I don't know the Chases and those cost a pretty penny. What to do...

I am also complete so far, the thor I am on the fence on.
ImageImageImage

Some people call me the orange hoodie

ISO funko Force creature from black lagoon chase Glow in the dark

DiegoLo

Postby DiegoLo » Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:11 pm

hpellot wrote:
jagpop wrote:I debated whether to try to go complete on the die casts. I was missing Boba Fett and WW. Now that my friend gifted them to me, I think I'm all in. Then again, I don't know the Chases and those cost a pretty penny. What to do...

I agree with it. I will like different poses for chases, but I suppose did a different mold for a diecast is way much higher than a regular one, so a different Paint (Metallic, Glow...) will work.
Funko Collectibles Count:1000+ (Need more space)
ISO Freddy Flux (4 of them)

SDCC 2018 - 2019, 2023
NYCC 2021
Fundays (Soon)

hpellot

Postby hpellot » Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:25 pm

DiegoLo wrote:
hpellot wrote:

I agree with it. I will like different poses for chases, but I suppose did a different mold for a diecast is way much higher than a regular one, so a different Paint (Metallic, Glow...) will work.

Die cast molds I have been told cost more, so it does make sense to save on the mold cost for the chase by doing different paint.
ImageImageImage

jagpop

Postby jagpop » Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:40 am

hpellot wrote:

If you are complete so far, might as well keep it going. Seems like the die cast are not being mass released, so it gives the wallet time to cool down. Keep the streak alive!

I am not in danger, I am the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!

Imagery
Hall of Fame Class of 2022
Hall of Fame Class of 2022

Postby Imagery » Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:07 pm

I knew Thor had to be coming. He looks pretty great. Look forward to adding him to the Thor shelf, though I'm not sold on needing the chase
Funklub member 2016000004714 a.k.a. Sarah
ISO: Ursula, 1/24 Freddy Mad Hatter; NBC Zero Mopeez; Despicable Me 3 Target exclusive PSHs; Freddy Flux Winky and Smiley; HT & Walmart exclusive Disney Villains MMs
Funko events attended: 2016 Fright Night; 2017 & 2018 FDO — Canada; Funkon 2021; Fundays Teams 2017 — Justice League, 2018 — Goonies, 2019 — Loko Moko, 2021 — Proto Punks, 2022 — Pop Protectors

hpellot

Postby hpellot » Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:30 pm

jagpop wrote:
hpellot wrote:

If you are complete so far, might as well keep it going. Seems like the die cast are not being mass released, so it gives the wallet time to cool down. Keep the streak alive!

Thanks I may go for it to stay complete
ImageImageImage

jcrook

Postby jcrook » Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:41 pm

I'm on the fence, I was complete until they started adding chases. At $50 I just want to buy one, but will definitely get Thor.
Funko Fundays 2017
FunKon 2021
SDCC 2017, 2018, 2022

I go by Crook

KwangWin9

Postby KwangWin9 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:58 pm

No choice but to go for the chases now too…it’s the worst! Thor will be a must as I need to complete the Big 3 set!

BRiley0216

Postby BRiley0216 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:51 pm

I dont really care for em

squidward

Postby squidward » Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:19 pm

I like the die-casts. The packaging is phenomenal with all of the foam and padding. I really like the full color designs of the commons. Hopefully we get a Freddy Funko die-cast soon.
Member of TUFF. Attended: Fundays 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, Virtual 2021, 2022. HQ Grand Opening. Hollywood Grand Opening. Making Fun Premiere. Funkon 1 & 2. Fright Night 1. Multiple SDCC, NYCC, ECCC, Fugitive Parties. Lover of Funko Artist Sketches.

brinkleytroy

Postby brinkleytroy » Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:38 am

The Diecast Commons look amazing. It’s just the Chase versions look dull to me. But to each their own.

Serch_na

Postby Serch_na » Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:06 am

Like every new line I like them but my problem is we’re to display it
NYCC 2022
Deadpool - Photography - Mexican

hpellot

Postby hpellot » Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:13 pm

Serch_na wrote:Like every new line I like them but my problem is we’re to display it

I think many of us have this same issue.
ImageImageImage

MPF223

Postby MPF223 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:18 pm

The die cast ones just come at such a higher cost then a standard pop they are nice but pricey

Kal-El-051

Postby Kal-El-051 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:26 am

Karubin wrote:
Kal-El-051 wrote:
heymrosario wrote:
Honestly, if the Chase was a bit scuffed up or even with some patina accent colors, I'd totally get the chase. I'll probably just stick to the common :-#

I personally prefer the common on these. However, if they made Silver Surfer I definitely would want the chase! lol!

When that happens, what is the difference between the common and the chase? They probably will look the same. Lol

Lol! I know they will. That’s why I say I have to have the chase on that one. lol

Kal-El-051

Postby Kal-El-051 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:27 am

heymrosario wrote:
Kal-El-051 wrote:
heymrosario wrote:
haha no no, that's definitely a lie! you have great ideas and creative ones too (specifically talking about your photos! ;-) )

Haha! Thanks Marc! I am just a man with a camera on his phone though. Nothing special. lol

I'm looking forward to your photos soon! ;-) I don't know if I missed your post on a die-cast figure yet... have you posted one before?? show us! lol

I have taken a photo of a die cast but not like your thinking. Maybe with the upcoming phots a day challenge?

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:10 am

MPF223 wrote:The die cast ones just come at such a higher cost then a standard pop they are nice but pricey

Definitely a consideration to take in!

DG_FunkPoppa

Postby DG_FunkPoppa » Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:32 am

A Star Wars Jedi would be awesome. They already released a Sith and a Bounty Hunter.

Vteck

Postby Vteck » Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:28 pm

I feel you bro those chases do cost a bit of scratch lol
Hello I'm Victor!!

Pop count:2300

Dorbz count:110

Proto count:6

ImageImage

Vteck

Postby Vteck » Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:29 pm

Kwiksilverpop wrote:I really like the design of the box but I probably won’t collect more than a few because of my glass shelves lol

The design of the display is pretty cool, i only have one myself and its the IM one but i probably wont buy more unless they come out with like an An Iron Spidey which makes sense :freddy2:
Hello I'm Victor!!

ImageImage

MPF223

Postby MPF223 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:22 pm

If they eventually drop horror die cast i have to collect them so im biding my time until then

jagpop

Postby jagpop » Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:07 pm

Vteck wrote:

I like a good gamble but getting two in hopes of pulling the Chase and striking out...that can get even more costly. :eek:

Vteck

Postby Vteck » Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:59 pm

jagpop wrote:
Vteck wrote:

I like a good gamble but getting two in hopes of pulling the Chase and striking out...that can get even more costly. :eek:

no doubt bro lol space is at a premium
Hello I'm Victor!!

ImageImage

Return to “Pop!”