Auotgraphing Pops?

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
rontonsoup

Re: Auotgraphing Pops?

Postby rontonsoup » Thu May 11, 2023 4:22 pm

friskykillface wrote:When Conan signed my pop at sdcc he was great, he chatted with us if we asked him questions but a lot of people just kept asking him to sign their pops.

I should do more meet and greets are cons and get their autographs.

It’s sad that he’s not a part of it anymore, it was one of the highlights of going
Collecting since 2014: "A couple that collects together, stays together."

Image Image Image Image

Stragon

Postby Stragon » Thu May 11, 2023 4:36 pm

Alanamaslama wrote:
akagalar wrote:
Kixxx90 wrote:I see your from Sac, Ive been to every sacanime for the last 10 years I remember when Autos were free and now VA's charge extra for Pop signings. It really hurts the wallet lol.

Don't forget some of them are now charging up to $20 extra for a quote also.

Someone in a FB group I’m in said one person charged for per word for long quotes.

Rob Liefeld (comic artist, Deadpool creator) has charged differently depending on the type of signature (basic signature vs his “logo” signature) and has a whole menu of little add-ons to charge more.

Wow, I hadn’t come across this, but wow smh
FUNKO FUNDAYS: 2016,2018,2019,2022
Funko Hollywood Grand Opening
World Premiere - Making Fun
Funko Virtual Con 2020
Funko Mask O Raid 2022

Stragon

Postby Stragon » Thu May 11, 2023 4:38 pm

Trujitsu Ninja wrote:So we ve been trying to collect all signatures from the Demon Slayer cast. I have gotten all except Sanemi, Gyomei, Tokito, Muzan and Rui.

That was me and Cowboy Bebop, wasn’t on a pop but a poster. I think I’m only missing one or two signatures.
FUNKO FUNDAYS: 2016,2018,2019,2022
Funko Hollywood Grand Opening
World Premiere - Making Fun
Funko Virtual Con 2020
Funko Mask O Raid 2022

a99kitten
HoF 2021 & CotM
HoF 2021 & CotM

Postby a99kitten » Thu May 11, 2023 5:43 pm

Agreed. Even though I never won the lottery to get in, I always tried and hoped and loved the shows (that Id' record and watch when I got back from SDCC). And loved the POPs of course.

rontonsoup wrote:
friskykillface wrote:When Conan signed my pop at sdcc he was great, he chatted with us if we asked him questions but a lot of people just kept asking him to sign their pops.

It’s sad that he’s not a part of it anymore, it was one of the highlights of going
FunKlub member #10577 Celeste reporting for duty :) December 2016 Collector of the Month! 2021 Hall of Fame!
5 Customs, 70 protos, 2800+ POPs (+ MLP vinyls, Hikari, Wobblers, Minis, Soda, Dorbz..)

ImageImage

a99kitten
HoF 2021 & CotM
HoF 2021 & CotM

Postby a99kitten » Thu May 11, 2023 5:46 pm

The smaller cons are best for autographs - plus they seem to change less. I got a few through a company that specializes in Star Wars autos and I really do love them. Only POP I got signed in person was Forrest Whitaker at NYCC. He was so nice and chatty.
FunKlub member #10577 Celeste reporting for duty :) December 2016 Collector of the Month! 2021 Hall of Fame!
5 Customs, 70 protos, 2800+ POPs (+ MLP vinyls, Hikari, Wobblers, Minis, Soda, Dorbz..)

ImageImage

Kixxx90

Postby Kixxx90 » Fri May 12, 2023 7:17 pm

akagalar wrote:
Kixxx90 wrote:
xViperTd wrote:For me, I love meeting voice actors or real actors to my favorite celebrities / characters! But at the same time, the majority of them charge way too much now and it has reduced the enjoyment for me because it makes me feel a bit taken advantage of. For example, many used to sign for free so long as it was personalized, but now most charge EVEN MORE to do anything on Pop! Items specifically.

I see your from Sac, Ive been to every sacanime for the last 10 years I remember when Autos were free and now VA's charge extra for Pop signings. It really hurts the wallet lol.

Don't forget some of them are now charging up to $20 extra for a quote also.
Some charge 20 for a short quote and 40+ for along quote! is crazy how much they have been charging lately
Nice to meet you I'm Thomas

Mr Yac

Postby Mr Yac » Fri May 12, 2023 8:26 pm

i do wonder what impact pops have made in the autographing world, there has to be a direct correlation between having a pop of yourself and the number of signings you do.

JRJones92

Postby JRJones92 » Fri May 12, 2023 9:02 pm

GarrettCipp wrote:
BRiley0216 wrote:Some like them, I am OOB so no go for me

At an Avengers premiere my wife snuck in a OOB Thor into the signing area and we got Chris Hemsworth to sign the back of the head and take a picture with it. It’s such a sloppy signature because the bumps of the hair but it was such an awesome memory!

I bet that was such a great experience! Good going to your wife :compress:
-Jennifer-
♡ I collect pretty much anything I think is cool O:)
ISO: SDCC 13' bloody predator and bloody alien LE 1008/ OG sonic, knuckles, and tails/ master chief gold blockbuster exclusive, master chief Barnes and nobles exclusive, resident evil and gears of War lineup

Jalapenopete

Postby Jalapenopete » Sat May 13, 2023 1:34 am

Dv8sian wrote:I love Autograph pops! Every time i see Mike Becker I get a pop signed :D

Glad u said mike becker he has one of the best autographs and his great about writing a cool quote on the pop
:freddy3:

Ginzo1622

Postby Ginzo1622 » Sat May 13, 2023 6:14 am

Jalapenopete wrote:
Dv8sian wrote:I love Autograph pops! Every time i see Mike Becker I get a pop signed :D

Glad u said mike becker he has one of the best autographs and his great about writing a cool quote on the pop

Maybe I should bring something whenever I have a chance for Mike Becker to sign
Fundays 2022 - Proto Robots
Fright Night 2022
Fundays 2023 - Protomoa Wolves

Don't stand in my way!!!

:whdat:

Jalapenopete

Postby Jalapenopete » Sat May 13, 2023 6:43 am

Definitely if u go to sdcc he will be there he is always accommodating and will sign your pop, I have wacky wobbler signed by him
:freddy3:

supenman

Postby supenman » Sat May 13, 2023 10:23 am

I definitely like getting specific Pops signed. I'm mostly an out of box collector, but certain ones I will keep in box in hopes to get it signed. I personally wouldn't buy a signed one, as I like the experience of getting it signed. And since they are meaningful to me, I would never sell them.
SDCC
• 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020ish, 2021ish, 2022, 2023

Funko Fundays
• 2015 - 2021: Failed
• 2022: Failed, yet I was lucky enough to attend as a +1!
• 2023: First year I was successful!!!!

https://www.instagram.com/supenman/

OffTheCHENG

Postby OffTheCHENG » Sat May 13, 2023 10:53 am

Nooklin wrote:I won't pay more for a signed pop because the experience of getting it signed and meeting the person is where the value is for me.

Same here. All my signed pops have been in some in person by me.
Image ImageImage

ImageImageImageImage

FunkoPDX

Postby FunkoPDX » Sat May 13, 2023 11:13 am

I personally don't buy pops already signed.

But I do enjoy getting mine signed. I only have 4 signed pops and each time I see the Pops, it reminds me of where and when I met them.

Buying already signed pops takes away that extra plus for me.
With the write pen color I feel like it also gives a nice touch to the pop displayed.
Cheers Funko Fam!
Funko Fanatic since 2014
Cons and Cosplay for life!
Videogame Funkos are my fave!

Comicbookwriter

Postby Comicbookwriter » Sat May 13, 2023 11:17 am

I only have handful of signed pops and I love them. I don’t think I would buy an already signed pop.
ImageImageImage

El_PANDA

Postby El_PANDA » Sat May 13, 2023 12:05 pm

All around great time in SDCC when he was there also loved the fact he would sign everyday I believe/mingle

xViperTd

Postby xViperTd » Sat May 13, 2023 9:09 pm

Comicbookwriter wrote:I only have handful of signed pops and I love them. I don’t think I would buy an already signed pop.

I’m with you, I like meeting them and being able to say that’s why or how I got it signed. Buying an already signed pop of someone I didn’t meet, isn’t for me.
I work in Dermatology, so Yes, I brought sunscreen to Camp Fundays! (;
Fav fandoms: Overwatch, Star Wars, SAO, ATLA, LOTR! O:)

SDCC: 2014-Present (*This will be my first time scoring all 5 days!!!)
Other events: Headquarters grand opening, Hollywood grand opening, Northern Cali local meets!
Fundays 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023

Over 1500 Funko products and counting!
ISO: SAO, ATLA, and (not so) Mystery Mini Protos of above fav fandoms *pray*

Trujitsu Ninja

Postby Trujitsu Ninja » Sun May 14, 2023 12:34 am

Stragon wrote:
Trujitsu Ninja wrote:So we ve been trying to collect all signatures from the Demon Slayer cast. I have gotten all except Sanemi, Gyomei, Tokito, Muzan and Rui.

That was me and Cowboy Bebop, wasn’t on a pop but a poster. I think I’m only missing one or two signatures.

I just got jet black and Spike signed on the mondo poster that I got at sdcc 2022 along with the pops at their wondercon appearance. The poster was the black one that was L.E.150
:smt027 Trujitsu Ninja
Current collection count 540 updated 06/08/22
Interest pops Anime MHA and Naruto. Movie pops Pennywise, Killer Clowns and Warriors.

Rice71

Postby Rice71 » Sun May 14, 2023 1:10 pm

OffTheCHENG wrote:
Nooklin wrote:I won't pay more for a signed pop because the experience of getting it signed and meeting the person is where the value is for me.

I’m on same boat. Most of mine are in person face to face autographs. My most memorable is Chadwick Bosman at Sdcc when he was at the Marvel booth for Black Panther.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Comicbookwriter

Postby Comicbookwriter » Mon May 15, 2023 1:43 am

xViperTd wrote:
Comicbookwriter wrote:I only have handful of signed pops and I love them. I don’t think I would buy an already signed pop.

I’m with you, I like meeting them and being able to say that’s why or how I got it signed. Buying an already signed pop of someone I didn’t meet, isn’t for me.

The experience, memory and the signed pop all go hand in hand. I love my signed pops!
ImageImageImage

Rcmal1

Postby Rcmal1 » Mon May 15, 2023 8:25 am

Elewitt2022 wrote:I have been collecting Funko for a few years now, and I got my first autographed Pops as part of a completist effort for my Scott Pilgrim set.

And then for a little while, I started picking up some random autographed Pops from local shops who could vouch for the signatures, and then I sent away items to autograph companies when they had interesting celebrities I could find Pops for. Eventually I even bought some on ebay, although these felt the most sketchy, with or without the various authentication stickers. [-o<

But ultimately, I decided that having an item signed in front of me, personalized with my own name right there on the box was the most satisfying. Each signed pop has a story now, and when its displayed on my shelf, its so much more meaningful! I understand that the personalization makes it less valuable, but it can't always be about resale, right? 8-[

Its definitely harder to get, but there are a few cons where you can get up close and request signatures, so I just keep an eye our for who will be visiting, and bring my own pop to be signed. :bounce:

I am curious how others on the board feel about autographs in general, and about personalization especially.

Also, if others know of good places to find signings, please share. I live in Atlanta, so Dragon Con is a great source for me each year!

Have they ever created a Pop with a space for an autograph?

Alanamaslama

Postby Alanamaslama » Mon May 15, 2023 8:46 am

Rcmal1 wrote:
Elewitt2022 wrote:I have been collecting Funko for a few years now, and I got my first autographed Pops as part of a completist effort for my Scott Pilgrim set.

And then for a little while, I started picking up some random autographed Pops from local shops who could vouch for the signatures, and then I sent away items to autograph companies when they had interesting celebrities I could find Pops for. Eventually I even bought some on ebay, although these felt the most sketchy, with or without the various authentication stickers. [-o<

But ultimately, I decided that having an item signed in front of me, personalized with my own name right there on the box was the most satisfying. Each signed pop has a story now, and when its displayed on my shelf, its so much more meaningful! I understand that the personalization makes it less valuable, but it can't always be about resale, right? 8-[

Its definitely harder to get, but there are a few cons where you can get up close and request signatures, so I just keep an eye our for who will be visiting, and bring my own pop to be signed. :bounce:

I am curious how others on the board feel about autographs in general, and about personalization especially.

Also, if others know of good places to find signings, please share. I live in Atlanta, so Dragon Con is a great source for me each year!

Like the figure itself? The closest would be the Dundie Award and its blank nameplate on its base. I’ve considered getting Prince Robot’s face (literally a blank TV) signed by the comic writer. I think some figures holding a blank sign could be a good idea to make for signings.
Hey, I’m Alan!

Events checked off:

Funko Fundays 2017, FunKon 2021
SDCC 1999, 2017-2019, 2022, 2023
WonderCon 2019
Comic Con Revolution Ontario 2017, 2018, 2023, 2024
Los Angeles Comic Con 2016, 2018, 2019

Nooklin

Postby Nooklin » Mon May 15, 2023 2:22 pm

Rice71 wrote:
OffTheCHENG wrote:

I’m on same boat. Most of mine are in person face to face autographs. My most memorable is Chadwick Bosman at Sdcc when he was at the Marvel booth for Black Panther.

That is a good one!! I would have like to meet him.

Nooklin

Postby Nooklin » Mon May 15, 2023 2:25 pm

jarjar124 wrote:

It means so much more to see the person sign in front of you. It just means the world too when they talk to you while doing so.

Conan O’Brian is one of the few sigs I have because we were chatting after one of his shows at SDCC and he offered to sign the pop. Such a great experience and a nice dude all around.

jarjar124

Postby jarjar124 » Tue May 16, 2023 9:23 am

Nooklin wrote:
jarjar124 wrote:

It means so much more to see the person sign in front of you. It just means the world too when they talk to you while doing so.

Conan O’Brian is one of the few sigs I have because we were chatting after one of his shows at SDCC and he offered to sign the pop. Such a great experience and a nice dude all around.

That's so cool! Would've loved to go to one of his showings during SDCC.

Rcmal1

Postby Rcmal1 » Tue May 16, 2023 9:34 am

Alanamaslama wrote:
Rcmal1 wrote:

Like the figure itself? The closest would be the Dundie Award and its blank nameplate on its base. I’ve considered getting Prince Robot’s face (literally a blank TV) signed by the comic writer. I think some figures holding a blank sign could be a good idea to make for signings.

I actually meant on the box. Maybe on the side that does not have the plastic have a specific spot for signing.

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Tue May 16, 2023 10:30 am

Rice71 wrote:
OffTheCHENG wrote:

Whoa what a memory!

volsspongebob

Postby volsspongebob » Fri May 19, 2023 9:00 am

Rice71 wrote:
OffTheCHENG wrote:

Wow what an experience that must have been! I have seen pictures of people going through the line at the Marvel Booth and Chadwick was grinning ear to ear and interacting with everyone. What a class act we lost.
Love to Collect the 80s stuff. Also chasing the OG Rocky Set. First Funko Purchase was 2012 SDCC.

MISSING FUNDAYS ON A DAILY BASIS!!

[size=85]Image

digithor

Postby digithor » Wed May 24, 2023 6:31 pm

Nooklin wrote:
jarjar124 wrote:

He was good for signing pops after those shows at sdcc.
SDCC 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
Fundays 2018, 2019, 2021, 2023
HQ Grand Opening, ECCC Night and meetup at HQ, Hollywood Grand Opening, World Premier Making fun
Horror fanatic, GiTD collector, Star Wars
ImageImageImageImage

dibozz

Postby dibozz » Wed May 24, 2023 6:48 pm

To me, signed worth something if I get it myself. There is a memory intact on it. I got Conan signed my Pops, it meant a lot for me. The struggles, long hours waiting in the line, witnessing broad range of human being, from *$$ holes to nice compasionate people. I also meet many great people in the crowd that look each other out. On the other side of the crowd though... Some fistfight happening.

Anyway, if it is signed and no memories attach to it, I am not really into it.

Dfalco

Postby Dfalco » Wed May 24, 2023 6:54 pm

I got my first Funko Pop autographed last year at NYCC. It was amazing! I met Christopher Lloyd, Michael J. Fox, and Brendan Fraser. I got some great pops signed. It is expensive, but it adds extra sentimental value to the pop. I can’t wait to get the chance to get more pops signed.

Alanamaslama

Postby Alanamaslama » Wed May 24, 2023 7:35 pm

Got this signed for the personal collection this weekend. It was fun meeting Aang’s VA Zach Tyler Eisen. I told him about how I lead my wife (then girlfriend) to believe Aang would drop this quote as a Die Hard reference in the final fight scene. We had a good laugh about it, how he couldn’t believe he didn’t see it before, and we tried to come up with a PG/Avatar-related substitute for the curse word. Ultimately he decided to go with the original fake quote and he decided to sign it as Aang McClane. We also wanted to see if JSA would authenticate it as Aang McClane (spoilers: they did not).

I know some people don’t like their signatures to be personalized in any way besides real quotes, but if it’s for my PC, I love it as a token of a good time meeting the actor of one of my favorite characters.
Hey, I’m Alan!

Events checked off:

Funko Fundays 2017, FunKon 2021
SDCC 1999, 2017-2019, 2022, 2023
WonderCon 2019
Comic Con Revolution Ontario 2017, 2018, 2023, 2024
Los Angeles Comic Con 2016, 2018, 2019

NCDS

Postby NCDS » Wed May 24, 2023 7:48 pm

I really don't like signed pops, I don't really have much signed anyways. However, I was gifted a Pan signed by Mike and it has a special place in my heart. I can no longer say I don't have a signed pop.
ISO Pockets Snapsie
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Dave17251

Postby Dave17251 » Wed May 24, 2023 8:55 pm

I feel the same way with signed pops. I have a purist vibe so I don't like seeing writing on my pops. I would prefer an art print of photo of said celebrity or person. There have been some videos of people wanting multiple signatures to resell and it left a sour taste in my mouth. The Rey Mysterio incident is a very good example of this, although I don't let those people speak for those who like signed pops.

handthecookie

Postby handthecookie » Wed May 24, 2023 9:17 pm

I personally only like to get autographs in person, even if that means waiting in line for a bit. That way there’s no question that it’s legit and you usually have a pretty cool story to go with it. Though I would understand buying one online if it’s a celebrity that never does public signings.
:freddy2:

mattytreks

Postby mattytreks » Wed May 24, 2023 9:52 pm

Not sure if it's been mentioned already or not, but Frank & Sons here in California is a great year-round spot for signings of various entertainers, celebrities, and sports stars, etc.

nightbodega

Postby nightbodega » Wed May 24, 2023 10:20 pm

As much as I was an in-box collector before, I just don't have room no more. Lately, I've been trashing the boxes and just keeping the Funko item. I've wonder how does a signature hold up on a pop.

Mr Yac

Postby Mr Yac » Thu May 25, 2023 2:45 am

nightbodega wrote:As much as I was an in-box collector before, I just don't have room no more. Lately, I've been trashing the boxes and just keeping the Funko item. I've wonder how does a signature hold up on a pop.

i can't speak to the autograph on a pop but it seems like it'd be odd to sign, also i've always wondered do pops really store better out of box though? they're such weird shapes i find the boxes allowing stacking makes it so much easier to store them.

akagalar

Postby akagalar » Thu May 25, 2023 12:16 pm

Though I prefer to get autos in person, there are some people that I may never see or financially is too difficult to see.
Image Image

Isouza75

Postby Isouza75 » Thu May 25, 2023 12:25 pm

I got some Conan pops. That’s all so far

Return to “Pop!”